IGNORED

SNES2JAG AV Converter Official Order List

Judas-Prime

Songbird has reserved the last Snes2Jag unit from the first wave, as such I have no more units available to sell.

I will make a second wave in the coming weeks and update this thread.

If you put your name on this post, I will email you once the second wave is finished and you can tell me if you are still interested.

Thanks Everyone!

I'm interested in one from the 2nd wave :)

Just an update for our International Jaguar Fans. shipping as listed (6.45 Priority Mail) is for US customers only. The cheapest option I can do for international customers is $13.50 international First Class Mail with no tracking number.

I apologize for any confusion my posting has caused.

Thanks again for all the support with this project. I really appreciate your patience and enthusiasm and I hope you are all happy with the snes2jag when you receive it.

• Like 1

As I review the tracking info for the shipped orders it shows several are out for delivery....and my anxiety is peaking. I really hope everyone feels they got their monies worth once they receive their snes2Jag. I tried to make something of a decent quality for a fair price.

Please give honest feedback once you have had a chance to use the unit.

Thanks again.

Okay, I might be confused and so I may be missing something here... please bear with me. This $25 plus shipping (nearly $7) = $32 passive "device" merely passes the video signals from the Jaguar through to a Nintendo type a/v cable, right? And no pics provided, so merely going by the description. No mention of a fancy case in brushed aluminum or gold plated this or that, right?

People surely aren't getting all that excited about hooking Nintendo a/v cables to their Jaguars, are they?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-V-Composite-video-Cable-for-Atari-Jaguar-system-6-length-NEW/172846036805?hash=item283e6d3745:g:5GoAAOSwfi9Zp~Zi

Totally befuddled, I then see this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-Super-Nintendo-YPbPr-COMPONENT-CABLES-HDRetrovision-HD-Retrovision/322908098376?hash=item4b2ed28f48:g:1HQAAOSwz~paHKMw

Are you kidding me? Gotta be something I'm missing here.

Is it all about hooking a $130 (shipped) component cable + $32 (shipped) = $162 combo up to their monitors, just to play Atari Jaguar in "RGB"?

What about the $70 (maybe $80-$90 now, I forget) Catbox clone that RetroKidz sells? People just not aware or what?

Okay, I might be confused and so I may be missing something here... please bear with me. This $25 plus shipping (nearly $7) = $32 passive "device" merely passes the video signals from the Jaguar through to a Nintendo type a/v cable, right? And no pics provided, so merely going by the description. No mention of a fancy case in brushed aluminum or gold plated this or that, right?

People surely aren't getting all that excited about hooking Nintendo a/v cables to their Jaguars, are they?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-V-Composite-video-Cable-for-Atari-Jaguar-system-6-length-NEW/172846036805?hash=item283e6d3745:g:5GoAAOSwfi9Zp~Zi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-Super-Nintendo-YPbPr-COMPONENT-CABLES-HDRetrovision-HD-Retrovision/322908098376?hash=item4b2ed28f48:g:1HQAAOSwz~paHKMw

Is it all about hooking a $130 (shipped) component cable + $32 (shipped) = $162 combo up to their monitors, just to play Atari Jaguar in "RGB"?

What about the $70 (maybe $80-$90 now, I forget) Catbox clone that RetroKidz sells? People just not aware or what?

Who doesnt want to hook an snezz cable to their jag

chamelonfake.jpg

• Like 1

Have to admit… can't exactly tell what I'm looking at there. Looks like some bent acrylic coming out of the Jaguar, with some translucent plastic underneath? So this device covers entirely, the rear panel of the Jag and redirects the power, A/V, and DSP connectors? So it's a poor-mans Catbox after all? Count me in! :grin:

The Snes2Jag is nothing but a signal pass through, which is all I ever presented it to be. I posted plenty of pictures in the previous thread showing not only the insides but the video quality of the Jag through the HDRetrovision cables. This is the Snes2Jag order thread, that is why you don’t see pictures here.

You showed jaguar composite cables which deliver a far, far inferior image signal than HDRetrovision YPbPr cables.

HDRetrovision cables do not cost 129.99, those are eBay scalper prices. HDRetrovision cables sell for 60ish bucks when they are available.

For people who have the ability to use component cables on their televisions, this is a practical solution as I am unaware of another YPbPr solution for the Jaguar. The price investment of this approach (around $90) is roughly the same as achieving similar/better results with a Scart based solution.

Also, this adapter allows you to use Composite and S-Video from the Jaguar as well….it's about having options.

Have to admit… can't exactly tell what I'm looking at there. Looks like some bent acrylic coming out of the Jaguar, with some translucent plastic underneath? So this device covers entirely, the rear panel of the Jag and redirects the power, A/V, and DSP connectors? So it's a poor-mans Catbox after all?

That is a pic of the coleco chameleon prototype. :)

• Like 2

The Snes2Jag is nothing but a signal pass through, which is all I ever presented it to be. I posted plenty of pictures in the previous thread showing not only the insides but the video quality of the Jag through the HDRetrovision cables. This is the Snes2Jag order thread, that is why you don’t see pictures here.

You showed jaguar composite cables which deliver a far, far inferior image signal than HDRetrovision YPbPr cables.

HDRetrovision cables do not cost 129.99, those are eBay scalper prices. HDRetrovision cables sell for 60ish bucks when they are available.

For people who have the ability to use component cables on their televisions, this is a practical solution as I am unaware of another YPbPr solution for the Jaguar. The price investment of this approach (around $90) is roughly the same as achieving similar/better results with a Scart based solution.

Also, this adapter allows you to use Composite and S-Video from the Jaguar as well….it's about having options.

K, thx. So some people *are* that excited about using Nintendo A/V cables with their Atari Jaguars. Gotcha. :lol:

And forgive me, but cannot help but point out this phrase: "You showed jaguar composite cables which deliver a far, far inferior image signal than HDRetrovision YPbPr cables.".

Really? How so? Were comparisons made? They not made of the same metallurgy? Not using 99.99% oxygen free copper? Solid core or flimsy Chinese hollow shit with fibers wrapped around and in? Long grain copper vs."regular"? Silver solder used vs. tin with a higher lead content? Gold plating? Superior dielectric insulators and jacket? Proprietary twisted DNA patterned shielding that ensures proper phase? 100% shielding from end to end? Tiny ferrite magnets strategically placed to reject spurious RF interference?

Am all about superior construction when it comes to expensive cables. Want to feel like I'm getting something for my money after all. :)

K, thx. So some people *are* that excited about using Nintendo A/V cables with their Atari Jaguars. Gotcha. :lol:

And forgive me, but cannot help but point out this phrase: "You showed jaguar composite cables which deliver a far, far inferior image signal than HDRetrovision YPbPr cables.".

Really? How so? Were comparisons made? They not made of the same metallurgy? Not using 99.99% oxygen free copper? Solid core or flimsy Chinese hollow shit with fibers wrapped around and in? Long grain copper vs."regular"? Silver solder used vs. tin with a higher lead content? Gold plating? Superior dielectric insulators and jacket? Proprietary twisted DNA patterned shielding that ensures proper phase? 100% shielding from end to end? Tiny ferrite magnets strategically placed to reject spurious RF interference?

Am all about superior construction when it comes to expensive cables. Want to feel like I'm getting something for my money after all. :)

Composite cables produce a noisy and inferior signal than S-video, RGB or YPbPr in every instance of any comparison, it’s kind of a known thing in gaming and AV circles. Also, comparison pictures are posted on HDRetrovisions site that show the difference between Composite and Component video. There are also dozens (upon dozens) of Youtube videos you can watch to see the difference between the two signals.

www.RetroRGB.com is a great place to start if you want to learn about the different types of video signals. It’s very informative and well written.

Composite cables (The Yellow One), regardless of quality of manufacture or price point will always provide an inferior signal to S-video, RGB and YPbPr. It’s simply a matter of how they work.

• Like 1

save2600, you are way off base here. This is not about allowing someone to use SNES A/V cables on a Jag. If you think composite is a superior or even equal signal to component, that's simply not true. The type of wire has nothing to do with it.

Looooooong sigh... I really have to take the time and spell this out here?

Okay, not talking about composite or S-video vs. RGB. The context in which I spoke should have eluded to that, but was degraded or lost in translation apparently.

Never said composite is superior to anything but RF. Which I did not say, but should be assumed. S-video is greater than composite, etc. Duh.

Guy is selling a $32 shipped passive piece of plastic and metal, that only allows pass thru of native Jaguar signals. Great. That means I need to spend another $70-$130 in cables in order to get RGB out of my Jaguar via a special SNES cable?

Said passive device also allows SNES composite or S-video cables to work.

Guy then says cables I pointed to are "inferior" to some SNES cables on the market and I ask how so? Hence all my questions and examples.

Following me here? Where's the fallacy?

Really? How so? Were comparisons made?

Looooooong sigh... I really have to take the time and spell this out here?

Okay, not talking about composite or S-video vs. RGB. The context in which I spoke should have eluded to that, but was degraded or lost in translation apparently.

Never said composite is superior to anything but RF. Which I did not say, but should be assumed. Duh.

Guy is selling a $32 shipped passive piece of plastic and metal, that only allows pass thru of native Jaguar signals. Great. That means I need to spend another $70-$130 in cables in order to get RGB out of my Jaguar via a special SNES cable?

Said passive device also allows SNES composite or S-video cables to work.

Following me here? Where's the fallacy?

The first quote shows it all. You doubted the video quality and asked for comparisons. Following me here?

You were also confused by photos of the fake Coleco Chameleon. Following me here?

You also asked for pics which he posted in October. Following me here?

If someone already owns the SNES HDR cable this is a cheap way to get a better signal out of their Jaguar. Following me here?

• Like 4

Just for a reference here. I already own a Component cable for the SNES. So it cost me $31 to get component quality video out of the Jaguar which is very cheap and as far as I know the only way to get it.

Thanks, I get it now. Totally missed the original thread, where it's more about getting RGB/component out of your Jag than simply hooking regular SNES a/v cables to it. :dunce:

Then I thought he was comparing SNES composite or s-video cables to the third party composite or s-video cables people still make for the Jag. Thought he was saying that the SNES cables were magically better somehow and *that's* why people wanted to hook them up to their Jaguar. Apologies for the mixups.

It's all about the RGB/component aspect of this doo-dad really. If one of these ever gets made with Sony or Wii cables in mind, would be great as their component cables can be had for less than $5 shipped! :grin:

As I review the tracking info for the shipped orders it shows several are out for delivery....and my anxiety is peaking. I really hope everyone feels they got their monies worth once they receive their snes2Jag. I tried to make something of a decent quality for a fair price.

Please give honest feedback once you have had a chance to use the unit.

Thanks again.

Mine was marked delivered to my porch yesterday...but I didn't see anything last night / this morning. I have to check the mailbox to see if it is shoved in there though. Will let you know.

I received mine in the mail yesterday and it seems very well built! However, i haven't tested it yet as I don't yet own the HDretrovision SNES cables. I do own the Genesis ones, but still plan to use this adapter with a set of SNES S-video cables at least. My only issue, is that it isn't clearly marked with way is UP on the adapter? So I haven't quite plugged it in yet, as I seem to recall there appears to be a linear VR inside the converter and didn't want to short something out?

-edit-

Never mind. You guys enjoy your purchase. :)

I really don't understand your problem. This is $25. How often do you get a chance to expand your options in video out for that amount of money ?

I've owned over 7 different TVs in last 4-5 years. Each and every one of them has drastically different quality for 240p, component / other inputs.

Nothing beats the moment when you try a new TV and find out you miss a specific adapter, after spending half an hour browsing through all adapters in a box.

If you have a catbox, fine. Not everybody can.

• Like 1

I received mine in the mail yesterday and it seems very well built! However, i haven't tested it yet as I don't yet own the HDretrovision SNES cables. I do own the Genesis ones, but still plan to use this adapter with a set of SNES S-video cables at least. My only issue, is that it isn't clearly marked with way is UP on the adapter? So I haven't quite plugged it in yet, as I seem to recall there appears to be a linear VR inside the converter and didn't want to short something out?

I added a registration notch for the SNES cables, they can only go in one way. You plug the adaptor into your jag with the flat side down as shown in this picture.

post-32638-0-10310400-1512146222_thumb.jpg

Thanks again!

• Like 2