IGNORED

SNES2JAG AV Converter Official Order List

Judas-Prime

46 minutes ago, GoldenGraham said:

Wow, it's certainly 'feature rich'!  Did you make it as a 'one off' yourself?  Do you use it?  Similar outputs to my Catbox which is bulky and weighs a tonne too! ;)

This was my practice box...to learn how I wanted to wire up the Snes2Jag and Gen2Jag. I don't use it at all, its just one in the long line of prototypes on my way to make something super small and reproducible. Its a One Off and mostly done for laughs. 

10 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Well, bummers all around.  Looks like the LG OLED65E6P doesn't support 240p over component very well.  I connected the composite video signal to the Y/luminance component and some loose cables to the chroma components as advised for testing on the HD Retrovision page, and it displayed a stable checkerboard-looking black and white image, which looked very promising.  However, once I started running around in Rayman or driving around in Super Burnout for a while, some terrible ghosting started occurring.  Not something I could ignore like a slight image trail, but like flashes of previous frames that would come and go in high-contrast areas of the screen.  For example, it looked like my bike sprite from the last frame would flicker in and out on Super Burnout when I was going through some S-shaped areas of the tracks and leaning back and forth rapidly.  Nearly unplayable.  I tested Battlesphere a bit too and didn't notice this, but perhaps I just didn't get moving fast enough or play long enough to see it.  Battlesphere is a bit on the muddier side color-wise compared to these other titles too, so perhaps that had some impact on the visibility of any ghosting artifacts.

Well in my case I would just get no signal whatsoever, audio or video.  Frankly an upscaler of some kind (to HDMI) has become sort of a must when it comes to retro consoles.

14 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Well, bummers all around.  Looks like the LG OLED65E6P doesn't support 240p over component very well.  I connected the composite video signal to the Y/luminance component and some loose cables to the chroma components as advised for testing on the HD Retrovision page, and it displayed a stable checkerboard-looking black and white image, which looked very promising.  However, once I started running around in Rayman or driving around in Super Burnout for a while, some terrible ghosting started occurring.  Not something I could ignore like a slight image trail, but like flashes of previous frames that would come and go in high-contrast areas of the screen.  For example, it looked like my bike sprite from the last frame would flicker in and out on Super Burnout when I was going through some S-shaped areas of the tracks and leaning back and forth rapidly.  Nearly unplayable.  I tested Battlesphere a bit too and didn't notice this, but perhaps I just didn't get moving fast enough or play long enough to see it.  Battlesphere is a bit on the muddier side color-wise compared to these other titles too, so perhaps that had some impact on the visibility of any ghosting artifacts.

All you need is a retrotink. It works hand in hand with the HDRetroVision cables and does a phenomenal job:

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/copy-of-2x-classic

Even though my Polaroid LED TV actually handles 240P, with the RetroTink it looked a LOT better. If you have a TV that does not handle 240P, this will do it for you. It line doubles to 480P....which any TV today will accept and handle well.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, eightbit said:

All you need is a retrotink.

Yes, but it all adds up rather quickly.  Retrotink devices are around $100 I believe, hd retrovision cable is $80 or $90, snes2jag was ~$45 after shipping + tax.  At that point it'll just be cheaper to take the crappy VGA cable I made for $3 or so, $10 if this sync extractor circuit works out, and plug it in to an OSSC or similar "expensive" ($199 on Amazon) solution.  If I end up going that route, I'll have a spare snes2jag unit to sale ?

Just now, cubanismo said:

Yes, but it all adds up rather quickly.  Retrotink devices are around $100 I believe, hd retrovision cable is $80 or $90, snes2jag was ~$45 after shipping + tax.  At that point it'll just be cheaper to take the crappy VGA cable I made for $3 or so, $10 if this sync extractor circuit works out, and plug it in to an OSSC or similar "expensive" ($199 on Amazon) solution.  If I end up going that route, I'll have a spare snes2jag unit to sale ?

Well, if you think of the Retrotink purchase as something for "one console", then yeah, it adds up. But that little box is a swiss knife. You can use it for tons of things. Composite and s-video consoles, old VCR and DVD players...anything....right to a modern display and have it look good with no perceivable lag. If you have old game systems and even if you have some CRT's, this box future proofs you TV wise.

I actually used the Tink with an s-video cable on the Jag and to my eyes it appeared to look nearly the same as it did when I connected it RGB ;)

19 hours ago, GoldenGraham said:

Have you any idea what the 'top middle' and 'bottom left' on this diagram refer too?

These are the area of the board where signals are located. Top middle for most of the signals, bottom left for the audio ground one.

19 hours ago, GoldenGraham said:

So, should I connect my wires to the top side of those L17 and L18 components or the bottom side?

Top side -- the location of the colored dots match where you need to solder the wires.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:57 PM, Judas-Prime said:

Your New Snes2Jag features a Power Switch

SfL5uxaVJsIkM7OmnDRrsdgVwXktF50QsURC7dfrq7QNtJiLVfbffVMjJ7PFkQ2yEUQ8AG_I8uqXO8jpvNKnlQirEEOt5PYOA_zasgvlUTK1Gj67Y7UhxhJMDL6M1_xNZfNa5DDX

The On Position is when the Switch is moved to the “Right”

The OFF position is when the switch is moved to the “Left”

Use Cases

If using a Snes HDMI Solution (Pound, RAD2X) that requires external power, then turn the SNES2JAG power switch to OFF.

This Switch should be in the ON position for using all other cables including HD Retrovision cables.

Since I received the SNES2JAG and am awaiting HDRetroVision cables I have been using SNES S-Video cables....which look surprisingly good by the way!

I did have another question regarding the switch. You said it should be ON for all other cables. I am assuming this includes S-video and composite cables? The reason I ask is because just for the heck of it I tried it with these S-Video cables in both the ON and OFF position...just to see what happens. I expected no video in the off position, but it works exactly the same with the S-Vid cables in either on or off. I guess S-Video cables need no power? Just curious on your take as well as what you think is best.

Thanks!

16 hours ago, eightbit said:

Since I received the SNES2JAG and am awaiting HDRetroVision cables I have been using SNES S-Video cables....which look surprisingly good by the way!

I did have another question regarding the switch. You said it should be ON for all other cables. I am assuming this includes S-video and composite cables? The reason I ask is because just for the heck of it I tried it with these S-Video cables in both the ON and OFF position...just to see what happens. I expected no video in the off position, but it works exactly the same with the S-Vid cables in either on or off. I guess S-Video cables need no power? Just curious on your take as well as what you think is best.

Thanks!

Awesome I'm glad you are enjoying the SNES2JAG. Jaguar S-VIDEO is  a pretty clean signal. Most cables do not need the 5 volts from the 7805 Voltage regulator I install in the Snes2jag.... I recommend leaving the switch to On because the VAST majority of people will be using your standard composite/ s-video cables or HDRetrovision cables. The only use case is if you want to use a RAD2X or Pound HDMI Cable. those need external power and in my testings supplying A RAD2X with BOTH power sources ( 5 volts fromt eh jag and 5 volts from an external source) caused significant noise in the video signal...plus Im not sure how safe that is for the RAD2X. So I added the switch literally as a fail safe for people that want to use  the RAD2X. You are safe to leave it in the on position for any other standard cables even thous those cables don't actually use the power source. now that i think about it you only need to turn it to ON when using HD Retrovision cables, but its safe to leave it there.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I think the Jaguar and the Sega Saturn are the two consoles I have encountered with an incredible S-Video signal. I swear the S-Vid coming out of this looks like RGB. Now I am rethinking whether I even need those HDRetroVision cables at all ;)

Thanks again...nice little gadget! Cool to be able to use off the shelf SNES s-video cables with it!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eightbit said:

Thanks for the input. I think the Jaguar and the Sega Saturn are the two consoles I have encountered with an incredible S-Video signal. I swear the S-Vid coming out of this looks like RGB. Now I am rethinking whether I even need those HDRetroVision cables at all ;)

Thanks again...nice little gadget! Cool to be able to use off the shelf SNES s-video cables with it!

Thanks for the feedback! Im glad you are happy with the Snes2Jag. The entire point of making it was to make something so people can either use cables they all-ready have (Snes cables) or other options as they become available. and that Jag S-Video is VERY clean.... im interested in your opinion after you try the HD Retrovison cables tho.

Thanks Again!

• Like 1

I'm just having a bad day all around. Judas-Prime, I sent you a message about this through the ebay purchase of your adapter. I hope you can help.

So, I have been using the adapter via S-Video just fine up until now. Today, FINALLY after a few months wait, my HDRetroVision SNES cable arrived. Hooked it up and didn't expect to see what I am seeing. At first I thought maybe the receiver I am using (a Denon with component) was the issue so I connected it directly to my Sony Trinitron. Same thing.

Then, I tried a 32 inch JVC I have. Same thing.

Then, I tried my trusty little Aquos TV, same thing.

All of these TV's have used HDRetroVision cables in the past for various game consoles without issue....and even through the same receiver without issue. I have now cornered the issue down to either being the HDRetroVision cable, or the adapter. If I unplug the red or blue component cable, the image is normal although without a full color palette of course.

Unfortunately I have nothing else to test. I no longer have an SNES otherwise I would have just tested the cable there.

So now I need to determine which part is defective and either have the adapter replaced or contact Castlemania and have the cable replaced.

Any advice is appreciated!

IMG_20200720_172903.jpg

IMG_20200720_172858.jpg

21 hours ago, eightbit said:

I'm just having a bad day all around. Judas-Prime, I sent you a message about this through the ebay purchase of your adapter. I hope you can help.

So, I have been using the adapter via S-Video just fine up until now. Today, FINALLY after a few months wait, my HDRetroVision SNES cable arrived. Hooked it up and didn't expect to see what I am seeing. At first I thought maybe the receiver I am using (a Denon with component) was the issue so I connected it directly to my Sony Trinitron. Same thing.

Then, I tried a 32 inch JVC I have. Same thing.

Then, I tried my trusty little Aquos TV, same thing.

All of these TV's have used HDRetroVision cables in the past for various game consoles without issue....and even through the same receiver without issue. I have now cornered the issue down to either being the HDRetroVision cable, or the adapter. If I unplug the red or blue component cable, the image is normal although without a full color palette of course.

Unfortunately I have nothing else to test. I no longer have an SNES otherwise I would have just tested the cable there.

So now I need to determine which part is defective and either have the adapter replaced or contact Castlemania and have the cable replaced.

Any advice is appreciated!

IMG_20200720_172903.jpg

IMG_20200720_172858.jpg

Ive sent you the return information Via Ebay, please send the Snes2Jag back to me and I'll investigate. If i cannot resolve the issue I will happily give you a full refund or send the device back to you ... your choice.  Ive seen this issue before and was unable to determine the cause, but at the end of the day, your happoiness is what matters to me so Ill take care of this issue.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 2:28 PM, eightbit said:

I really appreciate the help! I have never seen this type of issue before myself. I'm just curious if it is the cable or the adapter. Please keep me updated and thanks for your support!

Hello sir! I received the SNES2JAG today and immediately began testing it.  I am using my Jaguar SD to run IWAR and am not experience the issues that you showed previously. I don't think its your HDRetrovision cables either. Ive seen this with one other customer, they tried the adapter on multiple Jaguars and were able to resolve it by using a different Jag. I test my Snes2Jags on type M and Type K Jaguars revisions across four different Jaguars and cannot replication this issue.

Obviously it's not an optimal solution to say a "Use a different Jaguar", nor is it acceptable as a solution for me. So, if you-want a full refund I will more than happily provide you one. I do have one last thing we could try. I made a few newer snes2jag just for my own use...this new model grabs the 5 volts the DSP edge connector and does not use the 5 volt regulator. I would be curious if this resolves your issue as the grounding sources are also slightly different. This model also provides enough power to power the Rad2X HDMI adaptor. I can send you this new version  (I pay shipping) and we can see if this resolves you issue. if so, you keep the new one and we can close the return on ebay. If this does not solve the issues we can discuss a refund or other methods to resolve this to your satisfaction.

Thoughts?

IMG_8732.JPG

IMG_8733.JPG

IMG_8734.JPG

1 hour ago, Judas-Prime said:

YES! POUND HD cables work with the Snes2Jag.... However you have to power it via external power source. Snes2Jag also works with the RAD2X HDMI devices which also need an external power source.

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

Thanks, I've just got the xtreme hd cable and my TV doesn't work with the xtreme hd cable.

• 3 months later...

Man this is a bummer.  I had the eBay alerts set up for gen2jag and snes2jag in like January at the latest, figure COVID delayed or cancelled things and that I should check the thread.  Crushed to find out I never got an email alert because they didn't survive 24 hours on eBay.  If anyone has moved to a different solution for cables and no longer needs theirs, I will gladly buy it from you.  Please send me a PM if this is you.

41 minutes ago, kanisama said:

Man this is a bummer.  I had the eBay alerts set up for gen2jag and snes2jag in like January at the latest, figure COVID delayed or cancelled things and that I should check the thread.  Crushed to find out I never got an email alert because they didn't survive 24 hours on eBay.  If anyone has moved to a different solution for cables and no longer needs theirs, I will gladly buy it from you.  Please send me a PM if this is you.

https://www.heldergametech.com/shop/jaguar/jag2snes/

On 11/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, kanisama said:

I dont make them anymore but if yougo to the provided link youcan buy one from Helder, at a great price I might add!

Y

• 3 weeks later...

I received an email Monday that these are available again, so I've ordered one.  I currently have one of my Jags and my N64 on the coffee table, and I like the idea of needing only one cable to reach from either one to the back of my big screen.

• Like 1