IGNORED

7800 Controller Project

DanthWader

I would like one of these.

Also, have you considered making a two d-pad version for Robotron? The Start and Select buttons could be mapped to button 1 and 2, respectively.

I think Inky has a great idea here. a controller with 2 dpads and maybe 2 shoulder buttons would be ideal for those of us that do not wish to pull out the arcade stick for double joystick games. I would buy one of these in a minute. Unfortunately I don't know about plastic molding and manufacturing enough to get the shells and plastics done.

• Like 2

Also, have you considered making a two d-pad version for Robotron? The Start and Select buttons could be mapped to button 1 and 2, respectively.

Oh yes I have thought about it, I think maybe a PS2 controller modded to use both the toggles would be cool for robotron.

Oh yes I have thought about it, I think maybe a PS2 controller modded to use both the toggles would be cool for robotron.

I believe CPUWIZ actually created an adapter for the PS2 controller for just that purpose but sadly little interest came of it and he abandoned the idea to continue it much further. He was also working on such an adapter for the 5200 as well I believe..but same thing, no one seemed interested enough and let it drop.

• Like 2

Hopefully with more and more awesome double joystick games being supported someone can come up with a great solution. In that same vein, I do have to testify that Edladdin arcade controllers are great and offers a beautiful solution for for this, but as stated earlier, sometimes you don't want to setup the arcade stick and would prefer a gamepad, or for travel.

In any case great project and I only hope it gets greater from here on in!

Great work!

Edited by imstarryeyed
  • Like 1

Just thought of something that would make these a little more Atari friendly...

Could remove the rubber button pad in the middle and use that space for the word 'Atari' and maybe the Fuji logo in the form of a sticker or aluminum adhesive-backed plate. Perfect place for it since it's already got its own bezel cut out. And not like anyone's really going to use them as alternate fire buttons, right?

What do you think?

• Like 3

Could remove the rubber button pad in the middle and use that space for the word 'Atari' and maybe the Fuji logo in the form of a sticker or aluminum adhesive-backed plate. Perfect place for it since it's already got its own bezel cut out. And not like anyone's really going to use them as alternate fire buttons, right?

What do you think?

or use them for independent rapid fire setting buttons hehe, which is the only and entire reason the controllers I made had rapid fire ... like what the hell do I do with these two squishy buttons

• Like 1

What do you think?

Agreed. If there was some way of ditching the Start and Select buttons by removing the membrane contacts and filling in the space with an aluminum Atari logo plate or sticker (or via the vastly more costly, difficult, and probably much less feasible option of a custom shell like MaximRecoil's that does away with the Start & Select area entirely) then I'd totally be down to buy one. :)

Edited by Jin

Humble two cents here, but actually a bigger fan of the other controller utilization, modified to remove/fill buttons not needed.

It is a more ergonomic controller when utilizing a Y&B or X&A buttons layout, mimicking two of the four buttons of the SNES controller layout. The thumb naturally falls into: Y=Button 1, B=Button 2, or/and X=Button 1, A=Button 2, configuration.

Just keep one of the two sets of buttons mentioned, or all 4 buttons could remain while Select, Start, and L/R shoulder buttons are removed/filled in. Y&B could act as normal fire, while X&A is for rapid firing.

Humble two cents here, but actually a bigger fan of the other controller utilization, modified to remove/fill buttons not needed.

It is a more ergonomic controller when utilizing a Y&B or X&A buttons layout, mimicking two of the four buttons of the SNES controller layout. The thumb naturally falls into: Y=Button 1, B=Button 2, or/and X=Button 1, A=Button 2, configuration.

Just keep one of the two sets of buttons mentioned, or all 4 buttons could remain while Select, Start, and L/R shoulder buttons are removed/filled in. Y&B could act as normal fire, while X&A is for rapid fire

With the SNES controller we could get real creative and turn it into a Robotron powerhouse.... with a setup like this...

post-61918-0-87180500-1512238925_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Received my controller in the mail yesterday, and had a problem with it. I talked with Danth about it, and it was a simple fix I was able to take care of in literally 3 minutes.

Device works great, and had a great experience getting the issue resolved. I'm looking forward to whatever you have coming up the pike in the future!

10 / 10, would recommend.

• Like 2

With the SNES controller we could get real creative and turn it into a Robotron powerhouse.... with a setup like this...

Absolutely, another possibility for the SNES controller type. :)

However, the previously mentioned idea is more along the lines of the most ergonomic button layout for the entire library. ;)