IGNORED

7800 Controller Project

DanthWader

V1, with some ingenuity, can be modified to work with SMS fairly easily. v1.2 just makes it slightly easier. The main focus is still the 7800 and 2600, the circuit was so similar i had to add that option basically the same circuit without the 2 resistors save for switching a pin or so from the DB9 cable. Of course I won't be able to test the function since I do not own a SMS.

Good stuff, thanks. Just a reminder that SMS controllers work on a Genesis if you have any SMS games and a Power Base Converter for a Model 1 or a Power Base Mini for a Model 2. Not sure if you have those items, either, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

• Like 1

Good stuff, thanks. Just a reminder that SMS controllers work on a Genesis if you have any SMS games and a Power Base Converter for a Model 1 or a Power Base Mini for a Model 2. Not sure if you have those items, either, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

I have a Model 1 genesis, but no power base converter. I'm going hunting for one soon.

I have a Model 1 genesis, but no power base converter. I'm going hunting for one soon.

Good stuff. I have a JVC XEye, so the Power Base Mini that Stone Age Gamer created a couple years back has been awesome for me. With regards to the PBC, sometimes you can get lucky on an untested unit on eBay or ShopGoodwill, otherwise tested units go for about $50 on the bay.

I am out of shells!, so after the holidays I will be getting more. I also need to get another batch of DB9 cables which I could sell with the boards. I'll probably offer alternatives like kits.

After Christmas I'll have the boards ready. Then I'll have a 'official' post in the Marketplace but here are some prices to expect...

V1.2 PCB only: $10 Free Shipping

V.12 PCB KIT(PCB, DB9 cable and two 620ohm resistors): $15

V1.2 Fully assembled NES style controller: $25

Again if you ordered a V1 controller then you are on the 50% off list for just a PCB.

• Like 2

Heres an old picture - cant seem to find it among all my retro shizz at the moment...

Wow that's insanity, I love it.

Here's my design.

That's a good start, get that in a CAD program and get me an .obj or .stl file stat!

Here is a little sneak preview of the shells i'm working on, its not much but its a start as well...

post-61918-0-74187200-1513824887_thumb.jpg

I can barely get around in any CAD software but I'm still no designer.

• Like 3

Here are the real world mock ups, just testing tolerances and rigidity...

attachicon.gifIMG_4212 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4213 (1).jpg

Don't mind the black one, it's just to show progress... :P

They look awesome! However, they will be dirt magnets if the logos...etc are engraved into the casing like that. They almost need to be relief upwards instead to get the same effect without dirt getting into the crevices and being nearly impossible to remove.

Here are the real world mock ups, just testing tolerances and rigidity...

I am totally flipping out over how incredibly awesome that looks! It's the controller the 7800 always deserved, and if you ever do a production run of controllers with those shells then you can put me down for one no question! :D

• Like 2

If I knew how, I would. However, I don't have any CAD programs on my PC.

Update: Here's some more I just whipped up.

Start by using a ruler. It will help a lot next time. It also helps in presenting yourself in a more serious manor. You can find different free\trial versions of many CAD programs for download all over the internet so don't let that hold you back.

• Like 1