IGNORED

7800 Controller Project

DanthWader

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! It's been a few weeks and I thought I'd give you an update...

My Chinese supplier fell through and I am still searching for more, 40+ controllers this batch.

I wanted so badly to have my prototype injection molded but at this time that is not possible, really expensive.

I worked hard on a 3D printable case that looks and feels great, good tolerances and sturdy. But... takes 5 Hours per controller to print.

post-61918-0-70394000-1515200993_thumb.jpg

post-61918-0-59549300-1515201012_thumb.jpg

post-61918-0-44990700-1515201058_thumb.jpg

Even after they are printed I would still have to order the d-pads and A and B buttons with all the silicone contacts. At the price they want just for the buttons I could just purchase

a large amount of black NES controllers to gut, and at that point I'd have a bunch of shells. So...

I will be ordering a lot of black NES controllers, Here's the compromise... I still wanted to 3D print for this project so I fixed a problem I had from the beginning.

Labels

post-61918-0-82286000-1515201232_thumb.jpg

I 3D printed the "labels" and I can make them in any color imaginable.(Or what I have filament of)

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

-Dan

• Like 4

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

-Dan

What a brilliant solution! I would have never thought of it myself, but 3D printing little Atari themed top panels for the NES controllers definitely seems like the most economical, durable, and visually appealing option. You get the durability and cost efficiency of the already injection molded and mass produced NES style controller housings with the custom 3D printed plastic top panel insert that gives it a distinctly Atari focused purpose. I especially love the color selection for the fully assembled controller in the picture above. The silver panel with the black lettering and fuji symbol looks awesome against the black plastic of the controller housing and red buttons. It's a total winner and I'd buy one in heartbeat! :D

• Like 2

The silver panel with the black lettering and fuji symbol looks awesome against the black plastic of the controller housing and red buttons.

It's my favorite color scheme. All black with the silver fuji looks goofy with all the black. I may experiment with glow in the dark for the lettering as well.

• Like 1

Yeap! I'm totally down for some of these. Though I guess I would just need the top 3D printed cover for my two controllers I would guess? How will you be affixing these down to the NES housings? And do you have to remove the original decal that was on it to apply these?

Yeap! I'm totally down for some of these. Though I guess I would just need the top 3D printed cover for my two controllers I would guess? How will you be affixing these down to the NES housings? And do you have to remove the original decal that was on it to apply these?

I ripped off the decal and stuck it to a piece of paper to measure it. The adhesive is real stubborn, lots of alcohol and hot water. I used loctite plastics bonder, the little 2 part super glue. It doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. In fact I think if I try to remove it, it will tear everything apart. I'll call it fused. They're fused. :-D

• Like 2

I ripped off the decal and stuck it to a piece of paper to measure it. The adhesive is real stubborn, lots of alcohol and hot water. I used loctite plastics bonder, the little 2 part super glue. It doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. In fact I think if I try to remove it, it will tear everything apart. I'll call it fused. They're fused. :-D

Go to Wal-Mart...and pick up a bottle of 'De-Solv-It'. It is a citrus and petroleum based cleaner. Long story short, it essentially eats glue adhesives and doesn't damage plastics at all. I use it to remove the most stubborn of labels from things. However, it will destroy the label you are trying to remove in the process so keep that in mind. But yeah..get you a bottle of that stuff. Spray it around the edges and if you can, score some holes into the labels so you can get it to absorb into and under it. Wait about 10min or so after really saturating it and the label is likely to just peel right off with little to no effort.

Now...should I sent mine back to you to get retrofitted with these new covers? hehe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Wal-Mart...and pick up a bottle of 'De-Solv-It'. It is a citrus and petroleum based cleaner. Long story short, it essentially eats glue adhesives and doesn't damage plastics at all. I use it to remove the most stubborn of labels from things. However, it will destroy the label you are trying to remove in the process so keep that in mind. But yeah..get you a bottle of that stuff. Spray it around the edges and if you can, score some holes into the labels so you can get it to absorb into and under it. Wait about 10min or so after really saturating it and the label is likely to just peel right off with little to no effort.

Now...should I sent mine back to you to get retrofitted with these new covers? hehe

The shells came in, and you'll be happy to know they came without labels! No post cleaning. that adhesive was next to impossible to get off. although I was only using goo gone and alcohol.

post-61918-0-88157800-1516380612_thumb.jpg

I am still waiting for all the buttons to show up then I'll get to building.

• Like 4

I think someone spilled a little glitched out CGA on your gif

CGA treated me pretty good when I was a kid. A hell of a lot better than green or orange and black monochrome did. Commander Keen, Roger Wilco & Larry all in terrible blue and purple switchable color pallets :)

• Like 1

CGA treated me pretty good when I was a kid. A hell of a lot better than green or orange and black monochrome did. Commander Keen, Roger Wilco & Larry all in terrible blue and purple switchable color pallets :)

Omg Commander keen!! I’ve completely forgotten about that game, one of my first PC games next to lemmings on an old ms dos system.

Might we tempt you with a 5200 to design some thin PCB replacements for the flex circuit in the CX52? :)

You're not the first person to mention the flex circuit in the 5200 controller to me, I personally have not torn into a 5200 controller. Doesn't Best have some kind of "gold" replacement. Not sure if he means Gold as in the metal or "Gold" as a tier.