IGNORED

7800 Controller Project

DanthWader

The step-by-step written instructions alone would have been great. The picture captures you've included are awesome, very clear, and in abundance.

Thank you for creating and sharing that with the community.

Thanks for the kind words! I wanted to be thorough but I may have "over-explained" a few things.

Just assembled my kit but it's not working right. There's no response from the d-pad, and and the only game that does anything when I hit a button is Xevious, but once I've hit the buttons they just keep firing even after I release them.

I checked continuity on the wires before soldering, and then again after I found that it wasn't working. I even checked continuity from the plug to the button pads on the front of the pcb to see which wire was going to which pad and these are the results I get:

db9 - wire - button pad

1 - blue - up

2 - yellow - down

3 - brown - left

4 - white - right

5 - red - B

6 - green - A and B

7 - orange - no response from any of the button pads

8 - grey - start and select

9 - black - A

Ok, I've figured out what happened. When checking what wire went to what pin I used the numbering from the pinout diagram in the pdf instructions, but that diagram shows it from the console side, not from the end of the plug, so I ended up with the wires in the wrong order. I switched the wires around and now it works.

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/DB9-Joystick

• Like 1

Ok, I've figured out what happened. When checking what wire went to what pin I used the numbering from the pinout diagram in the pdf instructions, but that diagram shows it from the console side, not from the end of the plug, so I ended up with the wires in the wrong order. I switched the wires around and now it works.

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/DB9-Joystick

Oh no! I need to fix that in the diagram!

Just assembled my kit but it's not working right. There's no response from the d-pad, and and the only game that does anything when I hit a button is Xevious, but once I've hit the buttons they just keep firing even after I release them.

I checked continuity on the wires before soldering, and then again after I found that it wasn't working. I even checked continuity from the plug to the button pads on the front of the pcb to see which wire was going to which pad and these are the results I get:

db9 - wire - button pad

1 - blue - up

2 - yellow - down

3 - brown - left

4 - white - right

5 - red - B

6 - green - A and B

7 - orange - no response from any of the button pads

8 - grey - start and select

9 - black - A

This is what I got as well on the other cables. Used my instructions as reference too :mad:

Here are the updated ones once again

Atari 7800 Controller Assembly Instructions (2).pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Received two of DanthWader's excellent NES style Atari 7800/two button gamepads!

Really great control with these: they beat the heck out of Atari's own CX-78 gamepads, being much better constructed and everything about these NES style Atari gamepads is better: better button and control feel and more responsive. Only played a few A8 games last night but got my high score for A8 Pac-Man Arcade!

Looking forward to trying out 7800 Commando, Ikari Warriors, Midnight Mutants, Scramble and Xevious (two button games) as well as Pac-Man Collection and Moon Cresta later today.

Thank you very much for making and selling these kick-ass 7800 controllers DanthWader.

They were received yesterday afternoon on May the Fourth...so the Force must be indeed with us both! :jango:

Happy Cinco De Mayo from Colorado! :cool:

Best Regards

Fingolfin

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...