IGNORED

7800 Controller Project

DanthWader

Plus, I wanted something that plugs directly into the 7800 without always having to drag out the Seagull adapter, which I also have a pair of.

I understand that. It doesn't necessarily look great, mine kinda just hangs there when I play. I talked to Edladdin about a box that would plug right to the 7800 and look like more a part of the casing, but the overhang of the case with the switches there in the center made it unfeasible.

• Like 1

SMS Compatibility?

I should have waited! lol

ATM, you could modify the board you have for sms compatibility though it wouldn't be super intuitive, I just make it slightly easier with V2.

Edit: looking at the SMS circuit you could jump PIN6 to PIN8(ground) then remove both resistors and jump them. PIN9 stays PIN9 and PIN6 would now be PIN5 on the sms pinout. I make this much easier on v2 tho

Edited by DanthWader
  • Like 1

I got mine!

Thanks Dan it works like a Champ!

I just fired up the ol 7800 for a quick game of Armor Attack II, before I crawl into bed...And at first I thought maybe it wasn't working, but I totally forgot you have to slide the difficulty switch to make it a 2 button game! I did that and now it rocks!

Thanks so much! Great work on these!

• Like 2

I'm just glad someone said something quickly before things got out of hand! :D I've got version 2 coming in a few weeks, I made sure to label my hands left and right for reference... hehe.

attachicon.gifAtari 7800 V2 NES controller PCB final.JPG

So I haven't checked into how the SMS works, but I can tell you that many years ago, I was using a Power base converter on my genesis and noticed that SMS Montezuma's revenge wouldn't work on the PBC with a Genesis controller unlike most SMS games that would.

Anyway, for grins I put a 7800 proline into the Genesis and Montezuma's Revenge was totally playable with it?! So for quite sometime I actually just used a 7800 controller on my Genesis when playing SMS games through the PBC. There were a few games it wouldn't work with and for those I swapped back in the Genesis controller, but yeah...so there isn't a huge difference apparently in the wiring between the 7800 and SMS I would assume?

• Like 2

Interest, SMS controllers aren't so cheap these days. I think working with each other is more a matter of coincidence, based on the pinouts I wouldn't want to do it long term

SMS 7800

Pin Signal Signal

==============================

1 Up Up

2 Down Down

3 Left Left

4 Right Right

5 N/C Right button (-)

6 Button 1 Button Common (+)

7 Light sensor +5V

8 GND n GND

9 Button 2 Left button (-)

Edited by haightc
  • Like 1

There is an SMS converter that can be built. I have one.

Aside from the Sega Phaser, why would anyone want to use SMS controllers when they could use Genesis controllers instead? The Genesis Pads are comfortable; the SMS ones aren't. And the Sega SportsPad trackball has less resolution than either the Atari CX22 or the CX80 Trak-Balls.

• Like 2

I also did really well on a game of Commando last night using one of these controllers. Really like it a lot. I do miss the auto fire a tiny bit that Osgeld's controller has, but I find these to be more accurate in their directions. Still commando with an auto fire was awesome if you died and lost the machine gun!! LOL

• Like 1

I also did really well on a game of Commando last night using one of these controllers. Really like it a lot. I do miss the auto fire a tiny bit that Osgeld's controller has, but I find these to be more accurate in their directions. Still commando with an auto fire was awesome if you died and lost the machine gun!! LOL

BTW, I did test this controller with the Sega Rapid Fire Module.

It didn't work.

I've only just seen this!

Can I order just a pcb? I have an aluminium cnc machined nes pad (I made) I'd like to use on my 7800 - the Euro controllers are crappy.

Yes, I just recieved V1.2. All you need is a NES controller shell, DB9 cable and 2 620ohm resistors. I have some if you don't and I can solder them to the board if needed.

post-61918-0-31230000-1513540278_thumb.jpg

post-61918-0-29695800-1513540294_thumb.jpg

post-61918-0-17125000-1513540309_thumb.jpg

New V1.2 with the old (below) V1.

post-61918-0-79784900-1513540341_thumb.jpg

:waving: If you purchased the black NES controller from me you'll have priority and 50% off V1.2. :grin:

I need to do some testing but will let everyone know when they are "officially" available. There are plenty to go around, but If you want to get on the 'list' just PM me. I'll get to you in order.

Edited by DanthWader
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_4184.JPG

:waving: If you purchased the black NES controller from me you'll have priority and 50% off V1.2. :grin:

I need to do some testing but will let everyone know when they are "officially" available. There are plenty to go around, but If you want to get on the 'list' just PM me. I'll get to you in order.

I'm assuming on the back of 1.2 where is says PAD..you actually meant PIN?

Yes, I just recieved V1.2. All you need is a NES controller shell, DB9 cable and 2 620ohm resistors. I have some if you don't and I can solder them to the board if needed.

IMG_4185.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4184.JPG

Still thoroughly enjoying V1! Just to make sure Ive read through the updates on this thread correctly, is the only difference between the new V1.2 and V1 added SMS compatibility?

Still thoroughly enjoying V1! Just to make sure Ive read through the updates on this thread correctly, is the only difference between the new V1.2 and V1 added SMS compatibility?

V1, with some ingenuity, can be modified to work with SMS fairly easily. v1.2 just makes it slightly easier. The main focus is still the 7800 and 2600, the circuit was so similar i had to add that option basically the same circuit without the 2 resistors save for switching a pin or so from the DB9 cable. Of course I won't be able to test the function since I do not own a SMS.

• Like 1