IGNORED

Super Cobra Arcade

johnnywc

At least on my monitor both look better with phosphor enabled (blend = 50).

And I cannot see any issue with scrolling. What have you been noticing here?

It's just a personal preference, I agree it should be set to ON for Stella properties. For me, the PF scrolling bleeds too much in Stella with phosphor on, but the reduced flicker in the sprites is better so it's a wash. I play it only on real hardware so either way doesn't matter to me, I just want it to be consistent with Scramble (or we change both to phosphor on, I can't recall what it was set to originally).

A great way to say thanks is to add your reviews. Same goes for other games ;)

I agree with Darrell... besides having someone actually like the game enough to buy it, then next best thing is to read an open an honest review. While you're writing one up for Super Cobra Arcade, make sure to drop one for the even more impressive Draconian! I got the chance to play it at PRGE and was completely blown away by how awesome it was, especially the in-game speech! Which reminds me, I need to pre-order my own copy and prepare to write my own review... ;)

• Like 1

I agree with Darrell... besides having someone actually like the game enough to buy it, then next best thing is to read an open an honest review.

IMO an open and honest(!) is even worth more than a sale*. For more discussion see here.

*People buy a lot of crap these days.

So impressive! I'm still a beginner 6502 VCS coder; I can't image how y'all can manage this! Do you use DPC+, custom ARM code, or what?

DPC+ is close :) The game uses CDF, which is even more efficient at offloading parts of the game to the ARM.

Thanks! Yup, as DH said, it's CDF which is basically a more feature-rich version of DPC+, which of itself is an extension of the DPC chip developed by David Crane and Activision back in the early 80's for Pitfall! 2.

As with all 2600 games, you are still bound by the TIA chip and the kernels are all written in 6502 assembly. The big advantage of CDF/DPC+ is the extra ROM, extra RAM, fast-fetch (which allows you to dynamically update a TIA register in 5 cycles), and of course the 70Mhz ARM processor. I call this twice per frame, once during VBLANK to set up the current frame (graphics) and once during overscan (this is where I do most of the collision detection, game logic, sound, etc). DPC+ also adds 3-voice digitized music and sample support. CDF adds, among other things, the ability to do a dynamic JMP in 3 cycles (vs. 10 in DPC). The ARM code is also written in C which (at least for me) is easier to program game logic with.

• Like 1

This game is amazing but hard! I got all the way to the end of scramble without dying, but couldnt get to the second section in Super Cobra.

The difficulty (on Advanced) is in keeping with the arcade game, which is brutal. But the Novice and Standard modes are more forgiving. Just to make the YouTube video I had to use a ton of Save States. I don't think I've yet captured the Booty on Advanced, even using all of my Continues. But I am improving. And as a side effect, I've gotten a lot better at Scramble. ;)

Edited by Nathan Strum

And as a side effect, I've gotten a lot better at Scramble. ;)

Scramble still kicks my butt every time. Just like in the arcade original, I can't seem to negotiate those quick 90-degree turns. I think it gets harder each time now since the passages have gotten narrower due to the hundreds of burned-out ship hulls embedded in the walls.

• Like 1

Scramble still kicks my butt every time. Just like in the arcade original, I can't seem to negotiate those quick 90-degree turns. I think it gets harder each time now since the passages have gotten narrower due to the hundreds of burned-out ship hulls embedded in the walls.

Yeah that last level is where I lost it. The rest of the game is easy though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to shout out this game is awesome. My fiance made me wait until after my january birthday to get it since I had draconian for Christmas. If you liked Scramble, you'll love this one.

Made it all the way to the base before I lost all my continues. Did not collect the booty, yet... :P

Anyway this game is fantastic! :grin: :thumbsup:

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew will be streaming Super Cobra Arcade LIVE TONIGHT at 7PM PT/10PM ET on TWITCH as part of Round 1 of the 2018 Homebrew Tournament!

Let's hope for some decent scores! :-) See everyone there!

ZeroPage Twitch LiveStream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Streaming 60fps on a RGB Modded Light-Sixer 2600 through Framemeister

post-37205-0-40658700-1528937312_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...