IGNORED

Cases for the Mini-ITX based Atari 8-Bit Motherboards

mytek

My opinion would be to put the cart port between the joystick ports, if that’s possible.

It would be cool to have the supports for a SSD in case someone wants to put a PC ITX board in the case.

The cart could be placed in between the ports , but I would be concerned about forcing carts from the front, it would push the case back every time and cause stress points. I could place a cut out there if there is interest on this option.

PC ITX would open up all sorts of other issues, among them would be cooling etc...

• Like 2

Oh wait a minute... You meant say apostrophize didn't you :)

Well it looks like we both need some help with the English language :). But getting back to what you were pointing out, I'll have to see if Albert can make that suggested correction to this Topic's title. So Albert if you read this, please go ahead and do that.

Thank you,

- Michael

It just looks really stupid..

It just looks really stupid..

Seriously dude I got the message the first time around, so mission accomplished on your part, no need to rub it in :roll:

Now perhaps you would like to contribute something other than your grammar lessons to this thread ;) .

• Like 2

When you apostraphize a plural, it really looks dumb. That's a 3rd grade level grammar mistake.

says the guy who can't spell the word!

also, all he did wrong was place the apostrophe the wrong side of the "S" - not exactly dumb.

All fixed now, so let's get back to what this topic is all about :) .

On LavaLamp's case design, another possible cartridge position might be to do it like a 1200XL, with a tunnel on the side. Dropcheck's buffered cart extender could be adapted to work for this, by simply creating a custom tunnel that would mate up with it. I always liked the 1200XL idea, since it remains very stealth when not in use (and even a bit when a cart is plugged in).

• Like 2

I'm a bit busy for the next month (kids birthday preparations), but after that I plan to make a case using my CNC machine. The plan is to build it out of wood, white maple for the base, and walnut for the top-front, with a design and colouring similar to the 800XL.

I'm going to diverge slightly from the XL design by placing the joysticks on the front, similar to the above, and off to the left of them I'll place the CF card reader slot for the XEL-CF-][. I'm also planning on using metalphoto for the Aluminium strip with the Atari logo and a nice printed 1088XEL moniker. I'll use the same for the backplane to get the printed text next to the various openings.

I think the cartridge port ought to be off to the left side, and recessed using a tunnel, and I'm planning on adding an STM micro to do double duty as a second PS2 keyboard input (to handle the START, RESET,...) keys on the front panel (the same orientation as the 800XL) as well as to provide a SPI-based mini-D port to a 1090 PBI expansion case (see my comments on the other thread for more details).

So, all this will start to take shape around March, but thought I'd throw it out there :)

Edited by Spaced Cowboy
  • Like 2

All fixed now, so let's get back to what this topic is all about :) .

On LavaLamp's case design, another possible cartridge position might be to do it like a 1200XL, with a tunnel on the side. Dropcheck's buffered cart extender could be adapted to work for this, by simply creating a custom tunnel that would mate up with it. I always liked the 1200XL idea, since it remains very stealth when not in use (and even a bit when a cart is plugged in).

I could certainly place a cut out option over the plug directly, I actually used Dropchecks model as a guide.

• Like 2

Actually the cart tunnel that was designed for the 80mm Realan case was my design, and not a part of Dropcheck's buffered cart interface boards set (which I believe uses a stock 600/800XL cart guide). Maybe this got confused when I originally suggested that a NEW cart tunnel could be made to mate up with her board for the purpose of being able to easily relocate the cart to the side of the case like a 1200XL.

Also my cart tunnel design is rudimentary, and could really benefit from someone more proficient in 3D modeling to add door flaps to it. If LavaLamp's new case is made with that 80mm height, then a new improved cart tunnel would work for both it and the Realan H80 case which would be a win-win.

• Like 2

took a bit of re-jigging, the case has been raised by 8mm to give it the full 80mm to accommodate Dropchecks Cartridge tunnel without modification, and give us a bit more room inside.Here it is with and with out this option fitted.

attachicon.gifXE_Buttons.PNG

attachicon.gifXE_Buttons_cart.PNG

I think you will be happier if you keep everything rectangles.

On most of the XE/ST-style Ataris, the cart port is on either the back (XE) or side (ST), so you do not have the rectangular cart port clashing with the trapezoidal details. On the XE Game System, the rectangular cart port is on the top, but it runs parallel to the diagonal case details.

I think your case should either commit to the diagonal (XE style) or go with XL-style rectangles and bevels.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by mellis
  • Like 2

you can always slant the cart slot just like the xegs with the buffered cable tunnel...

Nice idea, but not so easy when you trying to line up with the existing cart connector which is fixed in location on the motherboard.

• Like 1

Ok I think I was been pulled in too many directions at once, I have settled on this design for the prototype, I changed the air vents to a diagonal design to reflect the XE/ST design, this was trickier than i thought, removed the additional buttons on the front panel as I'm going to be using an external SIO2SD and 1050, once I'm sure it works and fits the mother board, I can share the 3D object and you can modify to your hearts content :-D Judging from the quotes Im getting it may be cheaper for me to buy a 3D Printer....wife may not approve ;)

post-61762-0-84186500-1516074097_thumb.png

• Like 6

I am still a fan of the buttons... what if you keep the buttons but put the name label plate in line with them? you could print the 1088XEL in it or leave it empty for peeps to put their own strip in it...

this gives it that classic Atari Banded look this is looking excellent

Power 'Name label insert indent' buttons...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Ok I think I was been pulled in too many directions at once, I have settled on this design for the prototype, I changed the air vents to a diagonal design to reflect the XE/ST design, this was trickier than i thought, removed the additional buttons on the front panel as I'm going to be using an external SIO2SD and 1050, once I'm sure it works and fits the mother board, I can share the 3D object and you can modify to your hearts content :-D Judging from the quotes Im getting it may be cheaper for me to buy a 3D Printer....wife may not approve ;)

attachicon.gifXE_Buttons.PNG

I think Dropcheck was looking into having some of those metallic labels made in a style similar to the XL's only saying 1088XEL instead. Maybe she can hop in here and confirm.

Tell your wife you're buying the printer to make her some jewelry ;) .

• Like 3

Actually the cart tunnel that was designed for the 80mm Realan case was my design, and not a part of Dropcheck's buffered cart interface boards set (which I believe uses a stock 600/800XL cart guide). Maybe this got confused when I originally suggested that a NEW cart tunnel could be made to mate up with her board for the purpose of being able to easily relocate the cart to the side of the case like a 1200XL.

Also my cart tunnel design is rudimentary, and could really benefit from someone more proficient in 3D modeling to add door flaps to it. If LavaLamp's new case is made with that 80mm height, then a new improved cart tunnel would work for both it and the Realan H80 case which would be a win-win.

Another consideration is whether you want a nearly flat top or one where the cart sticks up above the top by five/seven inches. The cart tunnel would be better for a flatter top.

Michael is correct. I did not design the tunnel. My buffered extension device uses an original Atari XL Cart Guide attached to a pcb that allows you to place the cart port nearly anywhere in a case you like, while the signals are connected to a buffer board inserted into the motherboard socket. It does however cause the cart to stick up/out by 3/4s the length of the cart.

Perhaps COREi64 would be willing to design a combination cart guide tunnel. Utilizing the best of both.

DSC_2419Bigger.jpgDSC_2403.jpg

• Like 2

When I was perusing AliExpress this morning I came across this retro game machine that had some similarities to LavaLamp's case design. So I thought I'd put it out there just for grins. Not that we want our Atari's to look like a toy as this one does (which has a lot to do with the color choices), but it did have some interesting aspects, such as the door that can be closed for the cartridge port when not in use, and the docks for the controllers.

post-42561-0-60671400-1516128399.png

post-42561-0-32271600-1516128407.png

More Info and Pics

When I was perusing AliExpress this morning I came across this retro game machine that had some similarities to LavaLamp's case design. So I thought I'd put it out there just for grins. Not that we want our Atari's to look like a toy as this one does (which has a lot to do with the color choices), but it did have some interesting aspects, such as the door that can be closed for the cartridge port when not in use, and the docks for the controllers.

attachicon.gifRetroPlay1.png

attachicon.gifRetroPlay2.png

More Info and Pics

Haha that is funny, now I'm worried it would look like that...

• Like 1