IGNORED

Champ Games - Mappy - 2600

johnnywc

You even included the opening cutscene that was omitted from the NES port? wow..

Johnny has all the scenes including the introduction, they were just removed to squeeze the music in.

It would be easy if this bank switching had 64K, but he thinks he can get it all in 32K -- that's kind of a fun thing to do.

post-29575-0-49201100-1523494429_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The more I see homebrew like this the more I believe that Jay Miner was a genius and deserves the video game equivalent of sainthood.

You could have told me this was an ATARI 7800 game, and I would have believed you without giving it a gram of thought. It's just that good.

• Like 1

Don't forgot to worship e.g. Sophie Wilson too. ;)

I can't imagine how it would feel to know your life's work is in everything from phones to thermostats.

Back on the game though, is there a way to get a "ballpark figure" of a typical game frame in terms of CPU logic, time spent drawing, etc? I bet it has been a tight fit!

I can't imagine how it would feel to know your life's work is in everything from phones to thermostats.

Back on the game though, is there a way to get a "ballpark figure" of a typical game frame in terms of CPU logic, time spent drawing, etc? I bet it has been a tight fit!

ARM chip maker. Wow, really everything.

My friends will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm good at music, sound, speech, sprites, layout, but not the game programming logic.

But I will rant, if you care to read. :D

What I know about the game frame is in a reply I made to the last youtube video.

"Sorcery, yes. But really a slight improvement on the helper chip found in Activision's Pitfall 2 cart, with the leftover 15% of the ARM processor cycles doing game logic. Carts are made from cheaper 70MHz ARM processors pretending to be ROM and RAM, instead of a more expensive ROM chip or EPROM chip (plus adding RAM to a game would need an old chip scavenged out of old carts or hardware). The 2600 still only has 76 cycles per scan line to draw the display, sound, and the rest, from its 1.19MHz 6507 computer."

SpiceWare wrote it exact in a reply that I don't remember exactly, but say a single line color player took 13 (?) cycles of the scan line to draw originally, the DPC in Pitfall II brought that down to 10 (?) cycles, and the DPC+ and the new CDF bank-switch bring that down to 5 (?) cycles per scan line. Something like that.

Really that's all it is, plus brilliant coding, optimizing, compressing, that does things just a little bit faster.

It all adds up to making the 2600 do things that doesn't seem possible.

Bus Stuffing is the most extreme fast way to put values, because it is literally forcing a value on to the path that goes to the chips that do 2600 things, instead of 10's of cycles to get a value there.

Atari developed and tested this and Bus Stuffing was to be used for their computer add-on that never was made and would have fit the 6-switch, 4-switch, and Vader style systems. It would have used a faster processor and more RAM and just forced or Bus Stuffed its code, kind of like stepping on top of the 2600's 6507.

Development backed away when it was shown to not work consistently on the many, many Atari 2600's & 7800's made over its 13-years of production, and the fact that CDF is almost as fast.

Someone is still working on Bus Stuffing, running a check and test and configuring it to work on more systems.

That along with larger ROM sizes (64K, 128K, 512K, 1MB?) will allow things like higher fidelity samples, and more graphics and animation, and games and demos we haven't even dreamed up yet.

• Like 1

Someone is still working on Bus Stuffing, running a check and test and configuring it to work on more systems.

That along with larger ROM sizes (64K, 128K, 512K, 1MB?) will allow things like higher fidelity samples, and more graphics and animation, and games and demos we haven't even dreamed up yet.

Holy smokes. This sounds *very* promising.

You are aware that her work is in Mappy too?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Truly amazing work!

Thanks!

Can I bribe you to get my initials in the default hi-score?

Good idea!

I've been considering having a contest of some sorts to have the default 5th high score initials be given to one lucky winner. The other 4 will be reserved for the development team. :)

• Like 6

Mappy translates to mouse. Why not make that the English translation?

The Mappy wikipedia page says that the name "Mappy" probably comes from mappo, which is Japanese slang for policeman. So - I don't think calling it "cop" or the like would quite cut it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! We'll be doing a play through of Mappy (WIP) on ZeroPage Homebrew today (May 4th, 2018) at 2PM PT/5PM ET on Twitch. Join us live and jump in on the chat. We'll also be playing Panky the Panda and Conquest of Mars after. We'll be playing it on an RGB modded light-sixer running through a Framemeister broadcast at 60fps. See you there!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

If you're not able to join us live today you can check out the archive on Twitch or our YouTube channel after it's been posted.

ZeroPage YouTube: https://goo.gl/DKD7Xd

• Like 2

Hey all! We'll be doing a play through of Mappy (WIP) on ZeroPage Homebrew today (May 4th, 2018) at 2PM PT/5PM ET on Twitch. Join us live and jump in on the chat. We'll also be playing Panky the Panda and Conquest of Mars after. We'll be playing it on an RGB modded light-sixer running through a Framemeister broadcast at 60fps. See you there!

You might PM John and see if he has a more current build that you could use for your play through.

• Like 3

To all:

I have provided ZeroPage with a more recent WIP build that has almost all the music and sound fx (awesome work by iesposta (thanks Mike!).

If you have the time, tune into his Twitch livestream (link above) to get a preview!

NOTE: the latest build contains all music and sound fx plus many bug fixes but unfortunately we are having an issue getting it to run properly on Harmony, so ZP (James) will be running a version from 2 weeks ago. I will post a playable version here once I have resolved the Harmony issue.

Thanks!

John

• Like 8

To all:

I have provided ZeroPage with a more recent WIP build that has almost all the music and sound fx (awesome work by iesposta (thanks Mike!).

If you have the time, tune into his Twitch livestream (link above) to get a preview!

NOTE: the latest build contains all music and sound fx plus many bug fixes but unfortunately we are having an issue getting it to run properly on Harmony, so ZP (James) will be running a version from 2 weeks ago. I will post a playable version here once I have resolved the Harmony issue.

Thanks!

John

Cool! Watching it right now!! Plus this title is in my new book too (for those who didn't know)!!

• Like 1

Just posted our livestream on YouTube so everyone can check out our Let's Play from yesterday of this amazing game! Thanks so much to John C. for hooking us up at the last minute with this unreleased build that we were able to demo to everyone, SO MUCH FUN!! I can't wait for this to be released on cart!!

ZeroPage Homebrew YouTube: https://youtu.be/Dys1GuHB27k

31936804_711769325880603_406837184373456

To all:

Thanks!

John

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 8

Wow.. the game looks friggin GREAT. I'm a day one buyer man.. Champ Games 4 lyf3 :D

In the vid though, kinda sad though the dude on the right had obviously never played let alone heard of Mappy. What rock has he been under? :lol:

• Like 2

Wow.. the game looks friggin GREAT. I'm a day one buyer man.. Champ Games 4 lyf3 :D

In the vid though, kinda sad though the dude on the right had obviously never played let alone heard of Mappy. What rock has he been under? :lol:

I am bias because I own a Mappy arcade cabinet.

I also find it sad that people mention how strange shooting a fuel tank gives you fuel, but then in Mappy wait until they are nose to the door to open it?! That sends you flying back as it should, sometimes into enemies.

Of course it extends to being able to open any door you are facing, telepathically, even across trampoline shafts.

But using doors to push and stun casts is the only way get far.

Also closing a door while walking through gives a distance boost.

I thought I knew of most every 80's arcade game, but I had never encountered Bosconian in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or Maryland.

• Like 1