IGNORED

Champ Games - Mappy - 2600

johnnywc

Mappy runs on my android phone as well as draconian and wizard of wor arcade. 2600.emu for android runs off android 5.1.1 as where the stella plugin for Retroarch is a lower version like 3.1 or something. I play those games on my phone before I got a harmony cart. I had a s7 edge before and now on a Note 9 if that helps.

Where did you get that version? The one I see listed on the google store is based on Stella 4.7.3.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I was just watching a game play video of Mappy and if someone told me it was an early NES game I would have believed them. Would it have been possible to make a VCS game like this using the development tools available circa 1980?

Short answer: no :) I'm using an ARM chip inside the cartridge to do a lot of the heavy lifting, although I am still bound by the limits of the TIA for graphic capabilities, etc. However, I do think a decent version of Mappy could have been made with the tools circa 1990 (extra RAM, 32K ROM, DPC chip used in Pitfall for the music, etc).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

sorry if it's a stupid question, but will Mappy cartridge bought in Atari Age store work on Retron 77?

if not, what are other options to play it if I don't have original A2600. Any Flashback console with a cart slot?

Mappy requires 5.X Stella on the emulation side so most recent Flashback 9 can't play Mappy. There are only 3 Atari 2600 games that don't work on the Flashback9 http://atariage.com/forums/topic/287603-atari-fb-9-games-that-dont-work-only-a-few/

If you want to play Mappy you will either need real 2600 hardware or Stella 5.X+ with emulation.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/22/2019 at 5:21 AM, Shannon said:

Greetings.  Looks like we are well past the beginning of the year.  Did the ROM image of the final version ever get released?  I read through all the posts since almost this time last year and could not find anything.  :)

Hello there!  No, the full ROM for Mappy has not been released yet.  I need to coordinate with Al; I know he's pretty busy with the forum upgrade.  I will post to this thread when it is available. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.  I just wanted to make sure.  I've been going through and trying to grab the latest version of DPC games to test on a recently compiled retroarch version of the latest Stella Beta.

Yeah Al has a lot on his plate.  So know hurry.  I still have a PM to him pending.

• Like 1