IGNORED

Champ Games - Mappy - 2600

johnnywc

Why not "Coppy"? Referring more to the role of Mappy (thus more to do with the game itself) rather than some random letter substitutes. It fits in with the original Japanese name cause "mappy" in Japanese is a slightly less polite way of calling a police officer similar to the word "cop" in English.

Edited by Tangentg

Then there's this:

WTF? Crazy Japanese culture

I like how we get NAMCO and they get NAMCOT.

You should mis-spell that on the box / cart artwork

as: NOMCOP

NOM for the cat sound / eating nom, nom, nom & COP because it's a Police Mouse.

:)

Namcot was the name for Namco's home division in Japan. The odd thing is that seems to be the arcade version of the music rather than FC, but the graphics in the video and the "Namcot" are a reference to the Famicom. The characters are dancing on top of Namco Famicom cart.

Edited by BrianC

Namcot was the name for Namco's home division in Japan. The odd thing is that seems to be the arcade version of the music rather than FC, but the graphics in the video and the "Namcot" are a reference to the Famicom. The characters are dancing on top of Namco Famicom cart.

I didn't realize that was a Famicom cart they are dancing on, there's a lot going on.

Is that a percussion game, and older or newer than the Guitar Hero craze we had?

Thanks! You also win points and, er, flowers I guess. :lol:

2_Pickup_sound.bas.bin

Edited by iesposta

Very preliminary sound. The Bonus Round sound is not incorporated yet.

Note: The trampoline sound needs work.

I have a great similar one but it uses both sound channels.

This game has only 1 sound channel for sound effects.

There's a bug shown.

can you spot what it is?

If not, enjoy!

• Like 8

Is it where the door is opening and closing very fast several times in a row????

Nope.

That is a strategy for the player to stun the enemy.

You can also activate a Microwave Door -- or any door -- if you are facing it as long as it is on-screen, even if it is across a jump!

Edited by iesposta

38 second mark, left side of the playfield at the floppy disk graphic... character disappears for a few secs, then reappears.

No, that is poor Win 10 capturing Stella. Or is it? May be a bug..

Hint: It has to do with one particular death.

Why Namcot though? I always considered it a contraction of "Namcotendo"

Namcot was Namco's home video games division. It meant Namco Television or TV.

I heard an error with the music, sounds like it was skipping a section.

Edited by WildBillTX
  • Like 1

The error is that you activated the 2nd barrier door while the barrier is on screen. The point weren't award for the 2 enemies swept away. I did notice that you also don't get points for activating the barrier door and hitting enemies when winning a level, and dying against an enemy. The Mappy arcade and it home port allows the barrier to complete it path and the points comes before completing a level or dying. If you played Dig Dug and activated the stone and die, the stone will continue to drop on to your enemies and points were award before the death animation occur.

• 2 weeks later...

The error is that you activated the 2nd barrier door while the barrier is on screen. The point weren't award for the 2 enemies swept away. I did notice that you also don't get points for activating the barrier door and hitting enemies when winning a level, and dying against an enemy. The Mappy arcade and it home port allows the barrier to complete it path and the points comes before completing a level or dying. If you played Dig Dug and activated the stone and die, the stone will continue to drop on to your enemies and points were award before the death animation occur.

Yes, correct. And that was more than I thought.

Some of that has been fixed.

I just saw the 2nd Microwave miss the stunned cat ending in an unfair death, but like you noted, points were skipped.

It wasn't as easy a fix as just the microwave missing a collision with a stunned cat - according to Champ Games.

• Like 1

Mappy for the 2600 is really coming together nicely.

Feel free to bug me personally to finish the sound effects and music, it's that close to being done.

The TIA sound effects in my video above, the pick-up item effect, sound worse than the 3-Channel music.

That's only in emulation on my Win10 Chinese Laptop. (Realtek driver issues probably. )

Also keep in mind the 2600 technology was for a black & white or color CRT with a mono speaker.

If you like gaming on a hi-def display and hi-fi sound system (I do at times), remember the 2600's graphics, sounds and music may be "harsh and low-fi" as it was designed to play Breakout and Tank games.

Games this good like Mappy and Draconian, in my opinion, are now way beyond what we hoped for as kids, however I love seeing the creativity and the compromises and the pushing the limits that go into them. Remember both of these are only 32K!

It would be much easier and no problem for the 7800 to run Mappy with larger ROM / RAM, extra sound chip possibilities, etc.

But I like a "That shouldn't be possible on a 2600" game that plays well.

• Like 6

I am continued to be amazed by the development of this game! Just when I thought the 2600 has reached its limit some clever programmers come out and move the finish line much further down.. amazing! Please keep up the great work, looking forward to playing this gem one day on a proper cart!

• Like 2

CHAMP GAMES asked me to show a video of the current build (since I fixed the TIA sound playback on my laptop).

There are a few glitches in the audio that arefrom the capture​, not the game.

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 12