IGNORED

Champ Games - Mappy - 2600

johnnywc

3 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Is the last version made available supposed to have sound / music?  I tried it in the Stella Beta v6.01 and v6.02 and I have no sound / music.

Yes, that last version made available has both sound and music.  I just tried it with 6.0.1 and I'm getting both sound and music on my side... I'm not sure what might be the issue. :|

I have to say Mappy is currently my favorite game. Finally broke 50k on standard. Levels after 10 get exceedingly hard! The cats are so fast. Still trying to get a hang of the door slamming tactics. I think that's the way to get rid of the cats in higher levels. 

BA177578-D202-49A3-A41A-BA49D14C66E6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, root42 said:

I have to say Mappy is currently my favorite game. Finally broke 50k on standard. Levels after 10 get exceedingly hard! The cats are so fast. Still trying to get a hang of the door slamming tactics. I think that's the way to get rid of the cats in higher levels. 

BA177578-D202-49A3-A41A-BA49D14C66E6.jpeg

I'm glad ou're enjoying the game!

Great score, and you made it up to level 12 - awesome! :)  I've only made it up to level 9 myself lol.

Yes, the slamming doors is key, especially in later levels, plus timing the jumps off the trampolines.  Your score seems pretty low for level 12 though; I usually score about 90K in 9 levels.  Are you collecting the prizes in order?  If so, that's up to 7000 points per level! ;) 

Good luck!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Yes, the slamming doors is key, especially in later levels, plus timing the jumps off the trampolines.  Your score seems pretty low for level 12 though; I usually score about 90K in 9 levels.  Are you collecting the prizes in order?  If so, that's up to 7000 points per level! ;) 

Whaaaa? No... what order? I try to fetch the ones that are blinking, but not necessarily. It's hard enough to evade the cats. 

And how do I get the Bonus in the ballon intermission? It always shows 00...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, root42 said:

Whaaaa? No... what order? I try to fetch the ones that are blinking, but not necessarily. It's hard enough to evade the cats. 

The 5 prizes are each worth a different amount, and for each consecutive pair of prizes that you pick up, the score multiplier increases (2x, 3x ... 6x).

The values for each item are:

• Radio - 100 points
  • TV - 200 pints
  • Computer - 300 points
  • Painting - 400 points
  • Safe - 500 points

So, if you pick up the two radios, followed by the two TV's ... and collect the 2 safes last, you will get 7000 points total:

2x100 + 3x200 + 4x300 + 5x400 + 6x500

Of course, it's very difficult and challenging to do this, especially in the later levels, but if you can at least save the higher point items (painting,  safe) for last you can earn a good portion of that 7000 (depending on how many consecutive pairs you collect beforehand).

And how do I get the Bonus in the balloon intermission? It always shows 00...

You need to pop all 15 red balloons for a total of 3,000 points (200 points each), including the last 'Goro' balloon which is worth 2,000 points = 5,000 points.  Popping all 15 balloons will also give you an additional 5,000 points for 10,000 points!  NOTE: You may notice that when you pop the Goro balloon, Goro escapes and moves up the screen more and more after each challenge stage.  At some point you will not have enough time to pop all 15 balloons by yourself but if Goro moves high enough he may pop a balloon for you. ;)

Hope this helps!

Edited by johnnywc
Added info on Goro popping balloons.
  • Like 3

Ok, with the hints I managed to score quite a bit more in the early levels. But it’s still hard to do it in order. And the bonus stage is TIGHT. 

I am playing the 2018-08 ROM I think. Is a newer version available? Otherwise I‘ll have to wait for the cartridge. 

C0B07204-423E-47B5-8838-C5EC12E8B9F4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 2:27 PM, root42 said:

And how do I get the Bonus in the ballon intermission? It always shows 00...

Listed on page 106 of Volume 1 of my book "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" (and also posted above by John).

http://amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/24/2019 at 8:18 PM, johnnywc said:

Hello there!  No, the full ROM for Mappy has not been released yet.  I need to coordinate with Al; I know he's pretty busy with the forum upgrade.  I will post to this thread when it is available. :)

Any updates on this?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If I haven't said so already, this game is a very impressive technical accomplishment, and (even better) it's loads of fun. It does an excellent job capturing the essence of the arcade version. Perhaps my favorite touch is the "clank" noise when a bell falls on the heads of one of the pink guys. It's just the perfect sound for that collision, even better (imo) than the sound for that in the arcade version.

I know it's waaaay past time to offer a bug report, but just for posterity's sake I thought I would mention a weird occurrence that happened when I was playing tonight. I was just about to collect one of the objects that the red guy was hiding behind, and the "hurry up" text appeared, and the mouse character just froze and became invincible! I couldn't move him, but all the enemies went right through him. After a while the green coin came and ended the game. I saved the game state just in case anyone's curious to see what I saw.

Anyway, this is a great game and I love it.

mappy_20180606_NTSC.st0

On 3/24/2020 at 2:18 AM, e1will said:

If I haven't said so already, this game is a very impressive technical accomplishment, and (even better) it's loads of fun. It does an excellent job capturing the essence of the arcade version. Perhaps my favorite touch is the "clank" noise when a bell falls on the heads of one of the pink guys. It's just the perfect sound for that collision, even better (imo) than the sound for that in the arcade version.

Thanks!  The "clank" noise (and all of the other sounds and music) were done by Mike Haas aka @iesposta and he did an amazing job! :D 

I know it's waaaay past time to offer a bug report, but just for posterity's sake I thought I would mention a weird occurrence that happened when I was playing tonight. I was just about to collect one of the objects that the red guy was hiding behind, and the "hurry up" text appeared, and the mouse character just froze and became invincible! I couldn't move him, but all the enemies went right through him. After a while the green coin came and ended the game. I saved the game state just in case anyone's curious to see what I saw.

Thanks for the feedback!  I believe this bug was found and fixed prior to the full version as it does sound familiar.  It was a timing issue with the adding of the HURRY UP sprites/checking collisions.  

Anyway, this is a great game and I love it.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game - it's one of my favorites too! :thumbsup:;) 

PS GREAT job on Duck Attack!  I was just playing my cart version a couple of days ago and it's one of my favorites. I love the sense of adventure and discovering new items/areas, it's similar to the feeling I had as a kid playing Adventure for the first time! :D 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Thanks!  The "clank" noise (and all of the other sounds and music) were done by Mike Haas aka @iesposta and he did an amazing job! :D 

Thanks for the feedback!  I believe this bug was found and fixed prior to the full version as it does sound familiar.  It was a timing issue with the adding of the HURRY UP sprites/checking collisions.  

I'm glad you're enjoying the game - it's one of my favorites too! :thumbsup:;) 

PS GREAT job on Duck Attack!  I was just playing my cart version a couple of days ago and it's one of my favorites. I love the sense of adventure and discovering new items/areas, it's similar to the feeling I had as a kid playing Adventure for the first time! :D 

Well, thank you for the kind words! I am glad you like it. As a huge fan of Ladybug, Mappy, and now Galaga/Galagon, it especially warms my heart to hear that. :)

1 hour ago, e1will said:

Well, thank you for the kind words! I am glad you like it. As a huge fan of Ladybug, Mappy, and now Galaga/Galagon, it especially warms my heart to hear that. :)

You're welcome! :) I was also following your development of Super Pac-man which looked very promising too (except for the flicker issue ;) ).  :thumbsup: 

9 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

You're welcome! :) I was also following your development of Super Pac-man which looked very promising too (except for the flicker issue ;) ).  :thumbsup: 

I've been reading up on CDFJ and the bus-stuffing approach recently. I'm tempted to play around and see if a less flickery Super Pac-Man might be possible using these newer tools. What you've done with Mappy and Galaga certainly makes me think it might be! Every once in a while I want to play Super Pac-Man on the Atari and am frustrated when I realize I can't! (Yet.) 

Although if you ever want to beat me to it, go for it! I know you would nail it. :)

Edited by e1will
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, e1will said:

I've been reading up on CDFJ and the bus-stuffing approach recently. I'm tempted to play around and see if a less flickery Super Pac-Man might be possible using these newer tools. What you've done with Mappy and Galaga certainly makes me think it might be! Every once in a while I want to play Super Pac-Man on the Atari and am frustrated when I realize I can't! (Yet.)  

Bus stuffing is great but currently there are issues with it on some Atari machines (but the CDFJ team is working on it) so you may want to start with CDFJ.  

I have often thought about Super Pac-man on the 2600 and how I would approach it; I think what you started with was really good!  Feel free to send me a PM and I would be glad to help you get started on CDFJ development and share some of my ideas. :D 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...