IGNORED

Champ Games - Mappy - 2600

johnnywc

Here are last night's MoonbeamArcade playing Mappy at the start and end of their Streaming.

Pete knows how to play and is using a real arcade hardware controller.
If you watch gameplay closely some of the quick-reverse move cat stun is shown, plus another way to do the Bonus round (I've always bounced left to break thru where he bounces right).

This is a Retrogaming show for adults.
Contains mature subject matter and language.
Viewer discretion is advised.

Twitch First Play
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263635587?t=471s
Twitch Second play:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263635587?t=12340s

On YouTube make sure the stream is 60fps so there aren't any object dropouts.
YouTube First Play:
https://youtu.be/dDm8wjBtZFE?t=7m50s
any object dropouts.
YouTube 2nd Play:
https://youtu.be/dDm8wjBtZFE?t=3h25m25s

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 1

Hello all,

It's been a while, but here is the latest build of Mappy.

Lots of changes, the major ones are:

- full music and sound fx (thanks Mike! aka ieposta)

- Savekey functionality for each of the 3 skill levels. last skill level played and last 3 initials entered as also saved. hold down RESET when powering on the game (real hardware or Harmony) to reset all the savekey info (F2 + Ctrl-R on Stella). Press and hold reset and then press SELECT when viewing a high score table to reset just that one.

- fully functional menus: UP/DOWN to cycle through title, starring and high score screens. Left/right to cycle through skill levels. Button can be used to skip most animations (splash screen, start game, bonus round screens, etc.)

- game play completed with proper difficult progression, most notably the bonus screen (all 4)

- Updated PAL60 colors (thanks TJ for the suggestions)

Since it's been almost 4 months, there's many other bug fixes, gameplay tweaks, etc. that have been added. Special thanks to TJ, Mike, Nathan, and Darrel for all their help with suggestions, game testing, etc.

I would estimate the game is about 95% done. Space is tight (about 150 bytes free) but we should be able to squeeze in a couple more features. An official boxed release is being planned for PRGE in October, and then will be available in the AA store soon after.

Any feedback is appreciated! If anyone gets a chance to test on a PAL tv, feedback on the colors would be helpful as well.

Enjoy!

John

mappy_20180601_NTSC.bin

mappy_20180601_PAL60.bin

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 21

Just wanna say even the work in progress we played live on Twitch (as iesposta posted earlier) played amazing, whatever else you add at this point is gravy. Great job, I'll definitely be buying this fully boxed day one, and may buy a second one to give away on our Moonbeam Arcade Twitch channel.

I would estimate the game is about 95% done. Space is tight (about 150 bytes free) but we should be able to squeeze in a couple more features. An official boxed release is being planned for PRGE in October, and then will be available in the AA store soon after.

• Like 3

This is awesome, I played it til the 7th level (PS how about a continue level feature?) and I'm amazed you included everything the arcade version had.

This may be the best game music I've heard on the 2600. I set Stella 5.12 to play it in stereo just to hear what it would sound like, and was disappointed the music was all out of the left channel with the sound effects on the right. It's not a big deal since the 2600 is mono anyway.

• Like 1

This is awesome, I played it til the 7th level (PS how about a continue level feature?) and I'm amazed you included everything the arcade version had.

This may be the best game music I've heard on the 2600. I set Stella 5.12 to play it in stereo just to hear what it would sound like, and was disappointed the music was all out of the left channel with the sound effects on the right. It's not a big deal since the 2600 is mono anyway.

Re: Game music. One channel does the TIA chip sound effects, the 2nd channel does the Pitfall 2-type 3-channel in-tune music, so in stereo you get that split you described.

Using just the built in sound, stereo effects are possible, and early games like Combat and others were written to use the right speaker for the right player and the left speaker for the left player, because the Atari VCS was designed to have 2 speakers in the console, but that was dropped to route both channels to the TV speaker.

Homebrew Medieval Mayhem uses this left / right for matching on-screen sound effects!

I found Draconian unintentionally sounds fantastic in stereo due to the way the sounds are programmed to use the 2 channels.

Modded consoles usually split the 2 channels into left and right.

If stereo doesn't work well for a certain game, I find setting the display to mono is easier than recombining the L & R outputs to mono.

Had there been a larger ROM size available, Mappy's CDF bankswitching can do arcade perfect 3-channel music samples, but having done this game's sound, I'm more than happy how it turned out. The main tune is instantly recognizable as the ragtime Mappy (even if the center channel is different than the arcade), the Bonus Round music has a nice carnival feel - again a bit different than the arcade.

The Initials Entry song was a happy accident where the one woodwind sound, to me, has a cat-like "meow" quality that I just had to keep.

HINT: To hear the entire Initials Entry tune (same as in the arcade version), select your 3 initials and DON'T press the button -- just leave it play! At the breakdown (the low, same repeated note), it will "enter" automatically and finish the song!

Play tip: Open and close doors BEFORE Mappy is pressed up against the door. (Like in real life, do you press your nose to the door and then open it?) However, Mappy is also able to telepathically open doors -- even across shafts -- as long as Mappy and the door are onscreen at the same time!

•Using doors as a weapon -- microwave doors or plain doors -- is often overlooked by new players!

•Closing doors as you pass through them gives Mappy a forward speed boost!

• Like 3

Using just the built in sound, stereo effects are possible, and early games like Combat and others were written to use the right speaker for the right player and the left speaker for the left player, because the Atari VCS was designed to have 2 speakers in the console, but that was dropped to route both channels to the TV speaker.

Holy shit! Combat does indeed operate in (((STEREO)))

So does Air-Sea Battle, and Flag Capture, Sky Diver, and like you say, many of the early Atari-published games.

• Like 2

Do you know if the AA store will carry CIB only copies or cart/manual options or is that a better question for Al?

Standard protocol for the AA store on a release like this is CIB initially, then they will eventually sell a Cart/Manual a few months down the road.

• Like 1

For those who want to test the game in depth, here is a strategy guide of the arcade version.

Personally I am hoping for feedback regarding the PAL colors. They should come close to the NTSC colors. Anything you recognize is interesting (color loss, contrast, saturation...).

• Like 1

:-o :-o Wow :-o :-o I could play this all day! I plan on playing more this evening. I need to attach my AtariVox, so I can test the HS functionality. So far it played well for me on my 7800 via Harmony Encore. The colors look good, the sound is great (can't get that tune out of my head thank you) and the gameplay is very smooth.

post-21941-0-54337200-1528046362.jpg

• Like 1