IGNORED

Wii U Games To Be Ported To The Switch

Oldschool80skid

If there is already a thread, please merge. I could not find this topic with the search function.

So, what Wii U titles do you think Nintendo may port to the Switch, besides both Mario Kart 8 & Zelda: Breath of The Wild?

I purchased my Wii U last year just before it was pulled off the shelves. I since have been actively acquiring most of the 1st party titles to build a decent library to enjoy. I did not purchase Breath Of The Wild, since I purchased that on the Switch.

What are you thoughts?

Edited by Oldschool80skid

If you look at the list of Wii U exclusives, there really aren't that many that I think would be worth porting: https://gematsu.com/exclusives/wii-u

I think there could be some, like Xenoblade Chronicles X, that may get ported later as eshop-only titles, or budget retail releases. And maybe a few others, like Pikmin 3, that will get gussied up, have a new mode or two added and get released as a "sequel" similar to what they did with Splatoon 2.

The Super Mario games may get straight ports; at least I think they're the most likely candidates for it.

I would love for Bayonetta 2 to get a port, but I'll bet it won't.

Honestly I think as far as exclusives go Nintendo had a hand in or owned, it's kind of a short list. MK8 has already been done and Breath of the Wild was taken care of at launch. The likely best ones I can come up with outside of them repurposing Mario would be Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade, and Pikmin 3. There just wasn't much good to go around there they controlled through publishing or owned outright worth a bother beyond that.

Just about any Nintendo exclusive from the Wii U would be nice, honestly. Lots of great games that probably didn't get as much market reach as they could have because of the smaller user base.

I would specifically like to see a Pikmin 3 with a performance boost (60fps instead of the 30fps on the Wii U version). I wouldn't mind Star Fox either, tweaked for TV play and with motion controls removed. A port of Xenoblade Chronicles X would be nice too, if only in the hopes that it gives the game a better chance of actually seeing a direct sequel some day (if I remember correctly, it ended on a cliffhanger).

• Like 1

They're not Wii U games, but we came close to getting a GameCube/Wii Virtual Console announced a little bit ago. HD versions of the following have been announced for the nVidia Shield, which of course runs on similar hardware as the Switch.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario Sunshine
Punch-Out!!

Right now it's China only, but I imagine that the Switch won't be left out internationally.

Edited by Atariboy

The one game I've been expecting them to port is Mario Maker. There are a lot of Switch owners that missed out on the game from not owning a Wii U.

I can see them doing Mario Maker on the Switch. That one is a no brainer.

Looking through that list is sad though. The reality is, the Wii U just didn't cut it. Too bad, because I loved the Wind Waker HD remake and Mario world 3D. Aside from Mario Maker, It seem to have died for me there.

You're probably aware of this already, godslabrat, but Yoshi's Woolly World got a 3DS conversion if you'd rather go down that route (It's also why I'm assuming it's unlikely to appear on the Switch).

I tend to think that we'll see a sequel to Super Mario Maker rather than a port. It did much too well for Nintendo to not resurrect it for the Switch. I just hope that traditional Nintendo crafted 2D Mario platformers still happen. Building and sharing levels is nice, but playing a lot of one-off levels isn't the same.

I very much doubt Super Mario Maker will be ported though, given that it just hit Nintendo's aged 3DS handheld a year ago. That stole a lot of thunder away from a potential Switch conversion of one of the Wii U's biggest hits, so I suspect that they're eyeing Super Mario Maker 2 for the Switch instead.

Edited by Atariboy

Mario Maker will be limited in scope on the Switch unless they allow alternate control options. The beauty of the Wii U version is being able to use the tablet and stylus to create the levels and see it come to life on the TV. It's of course possible to use the Switch touch screen, but the game won't be running in docked mode at that point and that makes it hard for friends around you to watch what is happening. It also makes it impossible for streamers to broadcast the creative process live on the spot and that was part of the appeal for the console version of the game. If they do release an updated version for the Switch, hopefully they can incorporate some alternate control options so you can make levels while still viewing it on your TV. Pro Controller, Joy-Con motion controls, whatever.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can see them doing Mario Maker on the Switch. That one is a no brainer.

Looking through that list is sad though. The reality is, the Wii U just didn't cut it.

Yeah - there's gonna be a by-product of this though where many of the games that 'did cut it' will probably come to the Switch because there were so few Wii U owners anyway. Great for Switch owners to see the gems. Sucky for Wii U owners that may have.

I got a Switch for Christmas too. Held off until Mario Odyssey because some of the earlier "gems" (Mario Kart 8, Zelda) I already owned on Wii U

If they redid New Super Mario Bros U (dropping the U for Switch) I'd buy that. That was the only by any means good let alone great New SMB game. They finally ditched the more cookie cutter aspect of it and the horrid physics too and even admitted to trying to copy the look and feel of Super Mario World, and they fairly well did. I actually loved playing that one, didn't feel like something I paid for and had to finish because it's well Mario.

Well a large reason why it got dumped on and sold as well as it did was because they went back to acting like DS era morons and had some really wonky forced touch controls thrown into the game making it a clunky mess. If they would realize their mistake and give it a standard control setup despite the touch panel on Switch in handheld mode(leave it as an option maybe) I think it would be a lot more warmly received. Also when it did come out, enough people had already given up or even sold off their systems anyway so it had little chance to be a big seller. By sheer numbers alone as a Switch game it already has a better chance to sell more games going forward than it did on WiiU ever, any release on there really.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Emulated I don't know, I guess that would come down to whatever Nintendo is doing in China with their odd releases to the Shield in that fairly closed market. I know my Shield can 100% handle the Gamecube and Wii through the ported Dolphin emulator though. The Shield console which the Switch is like 97% the same internally if not more, is the X1 -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Comparison (more here on a tear down if you like on Switch visually with explanation: http://www.techinsights.com/about-techinsights/overview/blog/nintendo-switch-teardown/ )

From what's there, and how much The WiiU wasn't all that much better than the Wii was performance boosts aside to get it up to HD levels since it sacrificed a lot of cut corners to budget out paying for that pointless anchored tablet controller I'd imagine the room is there. Maybe some research into the work they did to bring over MK8 Deluxe would be ideal on speculating better.

This piece lays out a little and speculates too on Switch vs WiiU -- https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/buyers-guides/nintendo/140062-nintendo-switch-vs-wii-u-what-s-the-difference

Edited by Tanooki

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I'm happy they're turning out more of the lost gems of the WiiU era most didn't get to enjoy including myself. People were either taken for a ride like me on that loser or were smart and bought something else. Now you can get these great games on a modern handheld and console in one so it can appeal to a wider audience and be playable in general for the first time for so many more too.

The third party stuff really pleased me from the adventuring and RPG side of things, though I have no interest in a death clock timed RPG with that DS update.