IGNORED

Wii U Games To Be Ported To The Switch

Oldschool80skid

Downloadable content licenses are tied to the user account.

The possible catch is that you have to have the system and it has to be in some semblance of working order in order to deactivate your account yourself with no intervention needed from Nintendo. Deactivation is necessary in order to activate your account and restore your DLC onto another Switch (Although I don't think you can transfer your saves, unless Nintendo has addressed it since launch).

Having Nintendo step in the event of a dead or misplaced system hopefully isn't too much of a hassle though, and likely is a non-issue entirely since their customer support has always had a good reputation and has been very cooperative whenever I've needed them.

But if it is a problem, they're going to have some angry users when the inevitable Switch revision hits. When the price for out of warranty repairs represents a sizable chunk of what an improved new system cost, many users that have their system fail will forgo paying for repairs and will just put the money towards replacing it entirely with a new unit.

Not to mention those that will misplace it or have the system stolen, that obviously can't deactivate it themselves (Which is why Sony's method where you can do it remotely through a website instead of from the system itself, with the deactivated system deactivating itself in the event it ever connects to the Playstation Network again, is the better method).

Edited by Atariboy

I have already tested this as well and yes, they are tied to your account. I purchased a switch for myself and my kids kept taking it, so I removed my account from it, gave it to them and purchased another one for myself. You simply log in to the eshop, go to your account settings and deactivate. After you do, none of the downloaded games on that console will launch unless you reactivate.

Then, I logged into the eshop on the new console and my game purchases were listed and I redownloaded them. The act of logging into the eshop on the new console automatically activated that console. But, you must deactivate the previous console first obviously in order to do this.

It is much better than what they did back in the days of the Wii shop. The only drawback of this would be if the activated console wasinoperable (died on you) and you could not boot it up to get into the eshop to deactivate in the first place. In that instance you would have no choice but to send it to Nintendo to recover your account.

• Like 1

The Switch repair cost is 1/3 of the price of the system pretty much. Mine got jacked up about a month ago and sadly had to go in. Left joycon rail got tore off the controller itself and the ribbons detached (but worked if barely tucked back in), and the system got a bit deformed/twisted too from just a nasty drop. This thing is NOT of the quality rugged build of any of their past handhelds so be aware of that. You try and knee slap this one or whatever out of frustration it'll be done, not still pristine or slightly scratched paint like anying GB/DS/3DS branded would be. It's basically too thin and too much plastic for its own good as it will not hold up like a controller would.

Using a Joy-Con as a pointer, Wiimote style, is also an option. Other Switch games like World of Goo have such functionality, so the Switch is capable of it.

How would Super Mario Maker work on the Switch?

No 2 Screens

If they want level creation to be limited to touch screen inputs, they can limit that aspect to handheld mode and display instructions on your tv telling you to remove the Switch from the dock in order to continue.

Not as seamless as on the Wii U, but very much doable without much hassle. So I imagine we'll see a Super Mario Maker 2 for sure on the Switch. Sold much too well for Nintendo to forget about it.

Edited by Atariboy

• 4 months later...

Pretty amusing too as that was the only really good New SMB game because they actually made a point to mimic the feel and in particular physics style of motion of the game it aped, Mario World. I loved that game, one of select few I regret/missed dumping that awful system so I'll be sure to grab it at some point when time allows to take it down again. :D

What's left anyway from Nintendo, Pikmin 3 and the Gamecube remasters? (I mean this between 3DS and Switch conversions.)

Super Mario 3D World is a huge one. Way too good of a game to not make an appearance on the Switch eventually.

My younger daughter has a Wii U and this game. I played the hell out of it and completed it. That said, I would DEFINITELY buy it again on the Switch. I would suspect more Switch related content to be added of course. I really love this game. I would love to see Galaxy remasters as well. Why not, the Switch seems to be getting everything I ever hoped for nowadays anyway :)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

While not the expected Super Mario 3D World that some members of the media say is coming, Nintendo announced Pikmin 3 Deluxe today. So scratch another Wii U exclusive off the list.

While I think it's somewhat of a missed opportunity by not including ports of the first two games, it's always nice to see a good Wii U exclusive getting a second chance at life.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

While not the expected Super Mario 3D World that some members of the media say is coming, Nintendo announced Pikmin 3 Deluxe today. So scratch another Wii U exclusive off the list.

While I think it's somewhat of a missed opportunity by not including ports of the first two games, it's always nice to see a good Wii U exclusive getting a second chance at life.

I recently repurchased a Wii U just to turn it into an emulation rig. The amount of great games it can play on the gamepad is amazing.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, adamchevy said:

I recently repurchased a Wii U just to turn it into an emulation rig. The amount of great games it can play on the gamepad is amazing.

If you're doing that, you might be interested to know that it can also natively run Gamecube games (mostly important because Wii U has HDMI out) if you know how to do it.

• Like 1

If you're doing that, you might be interested to know that it can also natively run Gamecube games (mostly important because Wii U has HDMI out) if you know how to do it.

That’s one of the main reasons I’m modding my Wii U. That and the ability to inject Virtual games on the pad menu from nes, Snes, N64, Turbo Grafx16, GBA, Wii, and DS. I’ve been missing some quality 16bit JRPGs in my life. I also really enjoy 2D fighting games like Street Fighter 2 and Tekken, so I purchased a couple of these:

7f9433d495797bf6adc7131846e95312.jpg

8 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

That’s one of the main reasons I’m modding my Wii U. That and the ability to inject Virtual games on the pad menu from nes, Snes, N64, Turbo Grafx16, GBA, Wii, and DS. I’ve been missing some quality 16bit JRPGs in my life. I also really enjoy 2D fighting games like Street Fighter 2 and Tekken, so I purchased a couple of these:

7f9433d495797bf6adc7131846e95312.jpg

Yeah, I've been thinking about pulling my Wii out and playing some Gamecube games using the OSSC, but then I discovered that the Wii U technically does have native Gamecube support (after you hack it, anyway) because it has full backwards compatibility with the Wii at a hardware level, and since the original Wii model is compatible with Gamecube games at the hardware level...

Too bad you can't just stick a Gamecube disc in the Wii U and have it run, but it's better than nothing. I have yet to try it myself, and I'm curious to see how good the deinterlacing is for Gamecube games, as well, so I look forward to trying it eventually as that would absolutely make the Wii U the best way to play Gamecube games on real hardware with HDMI. I should have bought the Wii U Gamecube controller adaptor I found for 1000 yen the other day, but I had no money on me, unfortunately.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

...the Wii U technically does have native Gamecube support (after you hack it, anyway) because it has full backwards compatibility with the Wii at a hardware level, and since the original Wii model is compatible with Gamecube games at the hardware level...

This was one of the main reasons I decided to get a WiiU a year or two ago.  My wife had been playing the Gamecube a lot.  The composite out didn't look good on our TV and the hdmi adapter I bought for the Wii didn't look good either (had diagonal lines).  The WiiU (after hacking of course) looks the best so far for Gamecube games.  I later bought an hdmi adapter for the Gamecube's other display port, but haven't tried it yet.

7 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

This was one of the main reasons I decided to get a WiiU a year or two ago.  My wife had been playing the Gamecube a lot.  The composite out didn't look good on our TV and the hdmi adapter I bought for the Wii didn't look good either (had diagonal lines).  The WiiU (after hacking of course) looks the best so far for Gamecube games.  I later bought an hdmi adapter for the Gamecube's other display port, but haven't tried it yet.

Only the PAL Gamecube has RGB output, so if yours is not a PAL system or RGB modded NTSC, I can pretty much guarantee it will look terrible, unfortunately.

Actually, I suppose it could look decent if it uses the S-video signal, so at least you'd get S-video quality.

https://www.retrorgb.com/gamecube.html

Oh, you meant THAT other output! Yeah, that one should look decent, I think!

Edited by Steven Pendleton

20 hours ago, Atariboy said:

Or more realistically saying, getting finally a true first chance at life.  WiiU bombed so hard few bought it and retained it long outside of extreme fanboys of the company, then the rest kind of just got dumped out there, handed around repeatedly, people hacking them to finally find an use for it.  I'm pleased so seeing every last worthy first/second party WiiU game put on a proper system where it can sink or swim on its own merits and not because it's locked to a turd few wanted and fewer held onto as intended.

GameCube HDMI adapters utilize the digital video port that the GameCube's component cables plugged into. The HDMI adapter should look great if the tv competently handles 480p. And it's better than RGB out of a PAL GCN since progressive scan is very common in NTSC GCN games, but isn't an option for PAL games. 480p offers a visual boost while also allowing the HDTV to skip deinterlacing, which can introduce a bit of noticeable input lag.

As for GameCube on the Wii U, if you're curious how 480i games would look (Which at least from my 50 game collection are a rarity, with only two 480i games in the bunch) and happen to have MadWorld or any of the Resident Evil ports on the Wii other than RE4, give those a try. 480i Wii retail releases were even rarer than 480i only GCN games, but those are some of the notable exceptions for the Wii that can't do 480p and thus are deinterlaced when the Wii U upscales them.

As for the quality of the Wii U, while it failed in a spectacular way commercially, I'll go to my grave extolling the virtues of its library. That the cornerstone of the 1st party lineup on the Switch are Wii U ports says a lot about the quality of the games there. Wii U failed, but not because it ultimately didn't have a lot of very solid games. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Atariboy said:

GameCube HDMI adapters utilize the digital video port that the GameCube's component cables plugged into. The HDMI adapter should look great if the tv competently handles 480p.

As for GameCube on the Wii U, if you're curious how 480i games would look (Which at least from my 50 game collection are a rarity, with only two 480i games in the bunch) and happen to have MadWorld or any of the Resident Evil ports on the Wii other than RE4, give those a try. 480i Wii retail releases were even rarer than 480i only GCN games, but those are some notable exceptions for the Wii that can't do 480p.

Yeah, I forgot that the digital out exists.

Anyway, I have only Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 here. All of my other Gamecube games are in the USA, including my childhood copies of Rogue Squadron 2 and 3, so I literally have nothing else to play for Gamecube.