IGNORED

Power Supply Requirement for 2600 & Jr

Caterpiggle

Hello to all ,

I found 3rd party in my garage last night. it says, 6 watts, 9 Volts and 300 mA (not 500 mA). The company called Recoton AND model : AD-100. it is in ivory color , most unusually color for 3rd party power supply for Atari 2600 & Jr

So I need to know if it will work on either 2600 or Jr WITHOUT ANY DAMAGED TO motherboard inside ?

Edited by Caterpiggle

I would not use a 300mA in conjunction with a Harmony, or a Vox+ for that matter.

I would also add controllers that require their own power (such as trackballs, rapid-fire joysticks or joystick adapters, etc). You're better off sticking with a 500mA supply, which (if I remember correctly) is the same as Atari's original supplies.

Is safe to switch from 9 Volts to 12 volts and make "make-up" power for 300 mA limited ? Because that 3rd party has the switch from 3 volts to 12 volts. Right now, I leave it settled to 9 volts as default.

>15% higher current okay, >15% higher voltage, bad idea, >30% higher voltage, very bad idea.

Hello Swami ,

30 % higher voltage for 12 volts ? or 15 % for 12 volts ?

I apologize for the math:

9V + 15% = 10.35V

9V + 30% = 11.7V

9V + 33% = 12V

Above 15% is not recommended by most manufacturers of most electronics. Components begin to overheat or over-charge, slowly or quickly. Some folks think running something at 10% over recommended voltage will cause death by 1000 cuts over the years, but it is hard to substantiate.

Hello to all ,

I found 3rd party in my garage last night. it says, 6 watts, 9 Volts and 300 mA (not 500 mA). The company called Recoton AND model : AD-100. it is in ivory color , most unusually color for 3rd party power supply for Atari 2600 & Jr

So I need to know if it will work on either 2600 or Jr WITHOUT ANY DAMAGED TO motherboard inside ?

What happens when you use a power supply with too low of an amperage rating is the power supply will heat up more than it should (they usually heat up a little or a lot anyway) and then you risk something between damage and fire, like with the high voltage. Too high of a voltage rating is a problem and too low of a current rating is a problem with power supplies. I know some people use 300mA 9V power supplies with their 2600's, but the power supplies get hot. I'm sure companies build a buffer zone into their products, but a current that is 40% lower than OEM is getting down there, but hard to tell. I think it is the 600XL and XEGS had both 1.0 and 1.5A versions of its power supply.

I apologize for the math:

9V + 15% = 10.35V

9V + 30% = 11.7V

9V + 33% = 12V

Above 15% is not recommended by most manufacturers of most electronics. Components begin to overheat or over-charge, slowly or quickly. Some folks think running something at 10% over recommended voltage will cause death by 1000 cuts over the years, but it is hard to substantiate.

I have no idea what you are talking about, the power going into a 2600, can be 12V@1.2A, because it contains a 7805 voltage regulator and that is it's rating. Nothing over powering anything. If you go above 12V, that is where the death of a thousand cuts starts.

a jr is identical to a 4 switcher as to what is inside

as far as power supplies go if its a old school heavy transformer type, if its overloaded the voltage will droop and it will heat up (how much depends on how much its being overloaded, too much smoke n fire may happen as the windings are only insulated by a thin coat of laquor)

course the opposite problem on these is if you go with one that's rated for a lot more than your system will draw, the voltage will run high and your just making heat inside the console

if its a modern lightweight switch mode job, like on celphones and whatnot, if you make it angry it should just shut itself off, and if you get one overpowered it should be regulated so the voltage will remain constant (like all the systems I refurb I send with a regulated switching power supply good for 1 amp)

Edited by Osgeld

Hello to all once again,

Can we let start over once more time ?

Any one of you has the knowledge which devices or applications that can be using on this 3rd party power supply that limited to 6 watts , 300 mA and range between 3 volts all the way to 12 volts switches ? It would be non-Atari applications or devices as such. Any ideas that might be ?

I have no idea what you are talking about, the power going into a 2600, can be 12V@1.2A, because it contains a 7805 voltage regulator and that is it's rating. Nothing over powering anything. If you go above 12V, that is where the death of a thousand cuts starts.

Overgeneralizing, I guess, in case he wants to apply the logic to something without a voltage regulator or, for instance, read data sheets for 7805 and 78M05 that say 35V max.

But a 12V, 500mA PS would probably work fine.