IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard DIY Builders Thread

Firedawg

Does anybody know how to enter the self-test on a 1088XEL?

Is it still there?

I remember to press Option during Boot on a standard A8 but this does not do anything.

Other keys like Help, L or D are working during the start screen of the 1088XEL

Michael

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Does anybody know how to enter the self-test on a 1088XEL?

Is it still there?

I remember to press Option during Boot on a standard A8 but this does not do anything.

Other keys like Help, L or D are working during the start screen of the 1088XEL

If SDX is enabled, then holding OPTION really doesn't do much that I can see (although it might be doing something underneath). However if SDX is disabled, then you will be sent to the SELF TEST instead of the built-in BASIC (or whatever language you currently have in that slot). And if SDX is enabled then exiting SDX to BASIC (ALT+B) and then typing BYE always works.

If SDX is enabled, then holding OPTION really doesn't do much that I can see (although it might be doing something underneath). However if SDX is disabled, then you will be sent to the SELF TEST instead of the built-in BASIC (or whatever language you currently have in that slot). And if SDX is enabled then exiting SDX to BASIC (ALT+B) and then typing BYE always works.

Yep, it worked!

I had to disable the PBI also, otherwise I got the error message „no DOS“

Thanks!

I got a selection of A8 chips (CPU, GTIA, POKEY, etc.) I like to test.

Is the built-in self test sufficient to proof full function of the Chips?

Or is there a special test Software existing?

My idea was to plug in one chip after the other into the working 1088 and test

Yep, it worked!

Thanks!

I got a selection of A8 chips (CPU, GTIA, POKEY, etc.) I like to test.

Is the built-in self test sufficient to proof full function of the Chips?

Or is there a special test Software existing?

My idea was to plug in one chip after the other into the working 1088 and test

Not really. It won’t test PM graphics or collision detection on the GTIA, nor SIO functionality for POKEY either. I’m sure there’s lots it doesn’t test really.

If you have a flash cart you can boot the SALT Test cartridge though. That would check a lot more stuff.

• Like 1

"Error: no DOS" is displayed when you turn off SpartaDOS X because the system is attempting to boot from a SDFS formatted disk with no bootable DOS. Also: simply disabling "Hard disk" as opposed to the PBI entirely will prevent the system from attempting a HDD boot and thus displaying the aforementioned error message when SDX is disabled.

• Like 1

Not really. It won’t test PM graphics or collision detection on the GTIA, nor SIO functionality for POKEY either. I’m sure there’s lots it doesn’t test really.

If you have a flash cart you can boot the SALT Test cartridge though. That would check a lot more stuff.

I somehow expected that the built in test is somehow a very simple one.

With flash card you mean something like Atarimax MaxFlash?

I thought that SALT is a piece of hardware...

Yep, it worked!

Thanks!

Your welcome, but I never have to turn off either PBI or the HDD to launch straight into the Self Test. Did you have a disk drive or SIO2PC connected at the time, or something set as the boot drive in the U1MB? Because in order for it to give you a "no DOS" without SDX enabled suggests it was trying to boot from something that didn't contain DOS.

Your welcome, but I never have to turn off either PBI or the HDD to launch straight into the Self Test. Did you have a disk drive or SIO2PC connected at the time, or something set as the boot drive in the U1MB? Because in order for it to give you a "no DOS" without SDX enabled suggests it was trying to boot from something that didn't contain DOS.

Yes, having an XEL-CF-II installed with boot drive configured.

The code which displays "Error: no DOS" is actually in the SDFS boot sectors, so attempting to boot from a non-bootable SpartaDOS formatted drive is the only way you'll see it. In any case, disabling "Hard disk" has much the same effect as removing the CF card, the difference being that the former solution skips unnecessary polling of the IDE controller.

I've finally have my Sophia ver C (DVI) working, but I'm getting some screen issues while in U1MB menu and when returning to SDX my text turns from white to black. Not sure if its my Sophia, U1MB, or the board. Has anyone seen this before?

Sorry about the video availability as I did forget to change the access to it. Please try it now thanks.

Mike

https://youtu.be/5-BJlFIWdh0

I've finally have my Sophia ver C (DVI) working, but I'm getting some screen issues while in U1MB menu and when returning to SDX my text turns from white to black. Not sure if its my Sophia, U1MB, or the board. Has anyone seen this before?

Player missile graphics are utterly broken, so there's a serious problem with GTIA and/or Sophia itself. How does the legacy video output look?

• Like 1

Player missile graphics are utterly broken, so there's a serious problem with GTIA and/or Sophia itself. How does the legacy video output look?

The video output from the composite/s-video is fine. It was only after touching up some solder pads (suggested by Simius) on the Sophia that I got video output from the DVI connection. Not sure if it is just faulty solder pads. I'll recheck the GTIA again.

The video output from the composite/s-video is fine. It was only after touching up some solder pads (suggested by Simius) on the Sophia that I got video output from the DVI connection. Not sure if it is just faulty solder pads. I'll recheck the GTIA again.

Which pads did you touch up? can you post a picture :) .

Thanks reason I ask is that I think one of my DVI boards needs this done as well, since it sometimes glitches. Only one of the 3 boards I got is doing this, so I'm assuming it's an electrical contact problem.

Thanks reason I ask is that I think one of my DVI boards needs this done as well, since it sometimes glitches. Only one of the 3 boards I got is doing this, so I'm assuming it's an electrical contact problem.

I gave Jacek my symptoms and he suggested based on what he saw that those pads be re-solder. It did give me video, but still have some glitches. FJC said possibly bad GTIA which I replaced with another and found the same output behavior so I believe its still the Sophia. I'm going to do all the pads tomorrow to see if that fixes the issue. I'll report my findings when completed. Simius did confirm that on occasion most issues like this comes from poorly/non soldered pads.

• Like 1