IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard DIY Builders Thread

Firedawg

1 hour ago, Bikerbob said:

I was playing with Tinkercad.. and I tried SVG... did not work.. what it imported was the cutouts.  I know it can import DXF.. but FPD does not export DXF?

James

I believe it exports both DWG and DXF, but I could be mistaken. I would run it to see, but I'm visiting relatives and don't have anything but a tablet with me.

18 hours ago, mytek said:

I believe it exports both DWG and DXF, but I could be mistaken. I would run it to see, but I'm visiting relatives and don't have anything but a tablet with me.

LOL.. sorry other way around it will export DXF, but tinkercad will not import.. Sigh..  I will need to look at other software I guess Tinkercad is too limited.

James

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 9:28 PM, Mr Robot said:

Tinkercad will import SVG but only shapes, if you have lines with stroke weight you need to expand the stroke before export. Also you will need to import each layer separately so you can rebuild the vector in 3D 

I work around this by importing shape into Adobe Illustrator then exporting .svg to TinkerCAD but as said above - only shapes/strokes not 3d objects, but it's easy to give them depth in TinkerCAD if they are suppose to be flat like ie panels for enclosure.

my actual status with 1088XEL is:
- CF3 works only with one CF card I have (PQI 256MB) none of my 16GB, 4GB, 2GB Sandisk Ultra works. None of my Kingston 512MB 1GB works. A bit frustrating but I have ordered a few PQI 512MB cards so will dig in it more. Checked with four IDE2CF units. directly or on lead. It's not they are not visible in BIOS as unit, two of them showed in loader but choosing anything hangs after boot. But one setup works so keep thinking it's card depending situation.

- my SIO2SD is not working with 1088XEL. It's not Lotharek made one, will test my board with Lotharek SIO2SD to definately judge where is problem. my all external SIO drives 1050, CA2001 and XF551 clone works.

- SIDE2 works as inserted cart, but none cart from my collection works (and this is strange one). I have like 30 carts, from XL series until last XE like KARATEKA, BLUE MAX etc.

- XC12 tape recorded works

all latest firmware etc. I went thru several setups in BIOS, comparing side to side with my A800 Incognito and honestly got lost. All seems to work (I cannot say it's not working at all) but in details - I cannot say all works.

14 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Do you have '8K Cart ROM' enabled in the BIOS?

yes, of course. But I have figured out the problem with carts finally - the cart slot is a bit loose I think. SIDE2 works flawlessy, but I have to move a little cart with RiverRaid before powering up 1088XEL to make it working.

And I did screen snapshot of whole profile I have now to make possible to go back if anything  :)

Edited by tooloudtoowide
adding to post

1 hour ago, tooloudtoowide said:

yes, of course.

Heh... there is no 'of course' in these matters. :)

12 minutes ago, tooloudtoowide said:

Blue Max is not working

So: the fact '8K Cart ROMs' is enabled implies the PBI BIOS is turned on (unless the setting is simply greyed out). Have you tried turning the PBI BIOS off just in case the cart doesn't like it for some reason (I have no idea why; PBI BIOS doesn't touch the CCTL area on this platform, but perhaps the game objects to PBI handlers somehow).

21 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Heh... there is no 'of course' in these matters. :)

So: the fact '8K Cart ROMs' is enabled implies the PBI BIOS is turned on (unless the setting is simply greyed out). Have you tried turning the PBI BIOS off just in case the cart doesn't like it for some reason (I have no idea why; PBI BIOS doesn't touch the CCTL area on this platform, but perhaps the game objects to PBI handlers somehow).

this is pretty strange - I works now. At the beginning I turned on and off both Sparta and PBI, resaved profile and it works. I have screenshots of whole profile done two hours ago and it's the same. So PBI was turned off and now is also tuned off. So this is my "almost pure stock" profile to go back :) Thanks for your questions, forced me to to recheck, maybe I messed with profiles, not saved something and after reboot

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I sometimes wish the there was a way to name the 4 saved profiles and have them on the startup screen selectable before boot. 

With another 32 bytes of NVRAM and more code space, this would be doable. Other option is removing fourth profile and squeezing in 3x 8 character names. A bit lame and I'd probably have to strip out other functionality to make room for keyboard tables and input routine.

Could store names in ROM, alternatively, but this seems inconvenient and kludgy.

Edited by flashjazzcat

for me it's fine as it is. I donot know where the problem was, maybe I was to dizzy with whole thing as - CF cards were not working properly, SIO2PC was working, SIO2SD not working, floppy drives working, then carts not working. It was pretty strange for someone already using Ultimate 1MB and SIDE2 and Incognito - all with FJC firmware so looking very similiar. Never had such problems with simple startup or the startup was more complicated then my knowledge and experience with whole thing. Both more then possible :) THanks again.

BTW adding 2nd Pokey is my next step - apart fitting IC into socket anything elso to do, or I missed something?

15 hours ago, tooloudtoowide said:

BTW adding 2nd Pokey is my next step - apart fitting IC into socket anything elso to do, or I missed something?

Nothing at all, as long as all other components are present. Second POKEY address space is present even when only one POKEY is installed (unlike a stock machine without stereo POKEY); the firmware will simply detect the second POKEY once it's there and activate the setting to turn it on.

thanks! I have found one possible bug - either in my board/component either in firmware. It deals with saving profile. It happened twice - first with saving setup for stock/turned off PBI/Sparta for use with regular Atari cartridges. I did profile and it was saved, but it was like not saved after reboot. I have to turn on option, save turn off, option save and - it worked.

My problem with not working SIO2SD was the same. I did with Perinoid and his SIO2SD walk thru options. SIO2SD was not working (apart two codes displayed so - like something made small step and stopped). Then we turned off PBI/SIO options, saved, turned on, saved and it started to work.

I thought I was doing something wrong so I made two steps from the computer and Perinoid did the same as I did day before, I even made screens of every BIOS page/screen to archive all options.

Is it possible that something is not fully ok with the saving options? Just asking, as it happened twice and with two different things and BIOS menu/pages that were affected. I will try to replicate the steps with video recording, but I need to record both screen and SIO2SD unit.

2 hours ago, tooloudtoowide said:

I did profile and it was saved, but it was like not saved after reboot. I have to turn on option, save turn off, option save and - it worked.

If you are telling me that 'Saved to profile 1' was displayed but the configuration saved at that time was inadvertently not written to the NVRAM, I have to call intermittent hardware fault there, since the configuration is most definitely saved, but whether it survives a power cycle is down to the RTC battery and the ability of the BIOS to accurately communicate with the RTC chip via SPI (i.e the integrity of the hardware). If you turn on an option which is by default 'off', power cycle, and it is still 'on', then the setting was by definition saved. If it is 'off' after a power cycle, you'd have to turn it on again before saving it a second time... which is the exact same sequence of events which apparently failed first time around.

So that I understand, then: you enable a setting, power-cycle, and then what: is the setting enabled or disabled?

2 hours ago, tooloudtoowide said:

Is it possible that something is not fully ok with the saving options?

No, it's not possible, otherwise I and others would have noticed and there would have been a bug report at some point during the past four and a half years. ;) It is much more likely, then, that since you are experiencing an issue others do not experience, there is a hardware problem which is causing settings to be lost.

That being said, what might be illuminating is if we knew whether the profile was being reset after a power cycle. If the NVRAM loses its contents when power is turned off, the 16-bit profile checksum will be wrong and the profile will be declared 'Reset' when the machine powers up. This is how a brand new U1MB with no saved configuration (or a board freshly updated to the newer firmware) jumps directly into the setup menu when you first turn on the machine.

If the profiles are not being reset, on the other hand, then it's possible nothing is being written to the NVRAM at all. But if that were the case, no configuration changes could ever be saved... unless the problem were intermittent... and if the problem is intermittent, it suggests a hardware issue.

Edited by flashjazzcat
typos

it was like there was option (PBI enable/disable) and let's say after switching to disable and after hitting S there was msg "saved to profile 1" then I did reboot by pressing B, then back in BIOS option is was like not saved - still enable (because it was enable and saved before I started to change it.

Not sure if it was temporary situation, or it's situation just after power up first time (when you connect PSU and turn computer on). I will try to replicate and repeat the situations but if it won't appear I will be more then happy :)