IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard DIY Builders Thread

Firedawg

On 12/27/2019 at 5:55 PM, tooloudtoowide said:

mine design it's almost ready (finished printing), need to clear print, install not visible button and dots.

1088xel.jpg

Did you use a whole spool for it? you have no opening for the cartridge slot? What size base did you need to print it? 

James

On 1/1/2020 at 12:01 PM, Bikerbob said:

you have no opening for the cartridge slot?

Contrary to popular opinion, a cartridge in a 1088XEL is an option, not a requirement :) .

Not much now days that hasn't been converted into a format that can load from the CF card, and of course you always have either the SIO or the built-in SIO2PC. So long as you have other stock and/or modified stock Atari 8-bit systems at your disposal, I see no great need to have a cartridge in an XEL. Besides look how clean that looks without any holes penetrating the top.

well this kinda sucks.

Powered up my XEL for the first time and I got nothing.

I do have 5vdc in all the right spots, but i have no video at all.

Using composite at the moment but no joy. I swapped out my U1MB and my Sally and my rom and my GTIA and still nothing.

placed a jumper at OSC but nothing.

Douglas

On 12/5/2017 at 5:23 PM, Firedawg said:

This thread has been created for the brave who are embarking on this 1088XEL project alone. This is a place to share your updates, questions, and issues during the course of your journey. Some have already started as others will begin later. Please share what you have done, and anything else that can be of value to everyone completing this board.

I have my boards from McRorie, my BOM components from Digi-Key (1 item on Back-Order), UAV Rev D from Bryan, Sophia Board (requires updating, U1MB board (Candle version), which requires an update from v1 to v2. I will be also completing several XEL-CF-][ and JOY2PIC-STIK as well. I will provide updates on those builds too.

I will be using a Xytronic 137ESD Solder Station. For the solder I'm using .015 diameter low residue flux core solder with 2.2% flux. It is great to solder with especial with small boards and tight areas where a flux mess is not appreciated.

Below, I have soldered the 24 CAP 0.1UF (digi-key 399-9870-1-ND). More to come.....

post-16380-0-42364100-1512512055_thumb.jpg

Special Thanks to Michael St. Pierre (mytekcontrols) for which none of this would have been possible!!!

part number 399-9870-1-nd is not the same as in the BOM  pn 399-4329-nd    just wondering????

On 12/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, Mr Robot said:

Thanks so much. I am going to use these as a basis for mine. I have a relan h60 case.. but did not want to spend on the custom alum from FPE.. I own 3d printer and always looking for projects worth while.. this is!! :)

James

• Like 1

@Bikerbob really wanted the lid that @DrVenkman designed so I did that one with all the lettering too. Creating this was non-trivial, I used Front Panel Designer, FreeCAD, Affinity Designer and Tinkercad to make this.

1622673157_Screenshot2020-01-03at14_25_57.thumb.jpg.2c4a4609286d8c82d22fe4d1d3e960ca.jpg

Here's the back panel
Edited by Mr Robot
Add back panel
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, rockdoc2010 said:

well this kinda sucks.

Powered up my XEL for the first time and I got nothing.

I do have 5vdc in all the right spots, but i have no video at all.

Using composite at the moment but no joy. I swapped out my U1MB and my Sally and my rom and my GTIA and still nothing.

placed a jumper at OSC but nothing.

Douglas

no worries.. nothing to see here.. move along... The VIDEO in is a much better place than the TV in.. The name is Dumass.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, Bikerbob said:

Did you use a whole spool for it? you have no opening for the cartridge slot? What size base did you need to print it? 

James

it's around 400g of filament of pure elements including the back but it's due to that I have printed it 100% infill. Elements are 4mm wide (I mean skeleton width).

As for the cartridge slot - still thinking. I may redesign the left part of the Fuji to be removable and to uncover card slot as... I have joystick ports on the back and dual CF slot. I fitted cart tunnel in desing, but I wont fit them all as I wanted so I need to get rid of something.

Actually cart slot is not that needed for me - I have a least two computers with set like Ultimate-VBXE-SIDE2 and A800 with Incognito/Supercard so apart CF3 they are more less similiar in possibilities with 1088XEL. And the case is reversed U so you can remove it, below is mITX frame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2018 at 10:07 PM, mytek said:

You should be able to pick up that same signal on GTIA pin-28 and V-Gate pin-2 (you might want to verify that). And as a further check, you should see half that frequency at pin-37 on the CPU. Also check CPU pin-40 to see if it's high (+5V).

Hello, everyone!

I have done my soldering job, but got only blank screen on boot. No key click is audible and BOB LEDs blink in about 5-10 Hz rhythm symultaneously. Everything else seems fine - powers, grounds, LEDs, connections etc. I tried Michael's osc advice and got such results:

OSC and GTIA pin-28 look fine with nice sinus (pardon my poor equipment):

1.thumb.jpg.0ad5fdd2c5c515540c7a8612c501a105.jpg

But Sally's 37th leg is quite different and unstable:

2.thumb.jpg.ccd1674c7a8530134a29551d0b57eb60.jpg

Sally's power seems to be OK. What else should I check? Is it specific for some kind of bug?

Filon, other than the strange ghost pattern, the pin-37 input clock for the CPU looks to be the correct frequency and the switching noise you are seeing isn't all that unusual, and somewhat dependent upon where you have your probe ground hooked up. If you connect the probe ground to pin-21 of the CPU I think you'll see a cleaner waveform, although do expect to see some over and under shoot on the edges, since the 74F08 buffering that clock signal will tend to do that.

Don't pay any attention to the BOB LEDs if not connected to a PC, since they tend to blink faintly when the USB interface is left floating.

All you can really do at this point is confirm that all your Atari VLSI chips are good, by swapping into another system, and if they are, then start looking for something not soldered or a solder bridge, or something in the wrong place and/or the wrong orientation. The 1088XEL is a proven design, so if it isn't working there is something other than the motherboard usually at fault. Good luck :) .

Please help me.

I have this much 1088 finished thus far. There are three microcontrollers required, where does one find the code to put on these? 

If I were to use a Sophia, would the VGATE MCU be needed?

If I don't see a need for a mouse, is the MOUSE MCU required for the board to function?

1088.jpg

4 hours ago, towmater said:

I have this much 1088 finished thus far. There are three microcontrollers required, where does one find the code to put on these?

You can download the firmware from: AtariBits.com

If you only require the PS/2 keyboard firmware, there are two options available at: https://ataribits.weebly.com/tk-ii-manual.html

If I were to use a Sophia, would the VGATE MCU be needed?

No

If I don't see a need for a mouse, is the MOUSE MCU required for the board to function?

No

EDIT: I didn't notice that you were posting about a 1088XLD build and not an XEL. If you have a JOY2PIC programmer (highly recommended), then there is one download that will give you all the XLD flashers in one zipped file. However there are no hex files provided in that file if you wish to use a 3rd party programmer such as the PICkit. I should probably add those to that same zipped file (give me a day or two and I'll do that, and then post the file for download in the appropriate 1088XLD topic) DONE.

Go Here for 1088XLD related posts and info:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 10:03 PM, mytek said:

All you can really do at this point is confirm that all your Atari VLSI chips are good

Thank you, Michael! You were absolutely right - it was faulty ANTIC. Now I have a smaller problem - system boots up just after plugging power cord on, switching on gives just more brightness and louder sound. It has to be a short circuit somewhere in power module. But I'm still happy to see boot screen and working system. 

• 1 month later...

I have a question about TKII.
Are pins 10, 11 and 12 of the PIC chip (START / SEL / OPT signals) in a high impedance state when the keyboard button is not pressed? Can I connect these signals safely to ground? I want to connect additional buttons to them.