IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard DIY Builders Thread

Firedawg

Here is my latest problem:  I built the purple XEL-CF3 board.  I have no problem running FDISK from the D1 prompt (see

pictures below).  And Format seems to run fine too, but after the format I cannot access the drives.  I can go back and look

at them with FDISK.  I have a 64meg CF SanDisk card and a 4gig SanDisk CF card.  The result is the same on both cards.

I've tried all kinds of different partition sizes but I always get the same "138 device not responding" error.  At this point I'm

tending to think I may have something wrong with my 1088 configuration settings.  I've been working on this for two days

and I admit defeat!  So, I'll pass this problem up to minds with more experience than my own.  Please remember that my

expertise was working with and repairing hardware problems and not software.

Thank you for any help offered!

David    

FDISK Finished.JPG

APT Update Successful.JPG

Format Successful.JPG

3 hours ago, DavidMil said:

I've tried all kinds of different partition sizes but I always get the same "138 device not responding" error.

At what point do you see this error? As Roy says: it's not clear whether you see when attempting to format the partition, or afterwards when trying to access the volume at the SpartaDOS X command line. The system appears capable of reading from and writing to the HDD (otherwise FDISK would be incapable of creating the partitions).

Edited by flashjazzcat

On 1/3/2020 at 3:30 PM, Mr Robot said:

@Bikerbob really wanted the lid that @DrVenkman designed so I did that one with all the lettering too. Creating this was non-trivial, I used Front Panel Designer, FreeCAD, Affinity Designer and Tinkercad to make this.

1622673157_Screenshot2020-01-03at14_25_57.thumb.jpg.2c4a4609286d8c82d22fe4d1d3e960ca.jpg

Here's the back panel

These have disappeared off of tinkercad.com Mr. Robot. Is there a way I could get them still from you.. I was away from this thread through most of the Pandemic and missed it. I am getting back to my 1088xel now.. and would like to work on this again.

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

These have disappeared off of tinkercad.com Mr. Robot. Is there a way I could get them still from you.. I was away from this thread through most of the Pandemic and missed it. I am getting back to my 1088xel now.. and would like to work on this again.

James

I checked my files, and I unfortunately did not save any of the templates.  I did however, order mine from @MacRorie.  Perhaps he can get you setup with what you need.

Just now, Stephen said:

I checked my files, and I unfortunately did not save any of the templates.  I did however, order mine from @MacRorie.  Perhaps he can get you setup with what you need.

Stephen unless I'm mistaken, I think they are talking about 3D printable STL files, and not the aluminum Front Panel Express ones that I initially designed, and were later modified by others.

I have the ones @bfollowell created on my website for download, and here's a local download for the same set shown below: 1088xel_panel_set_blue.zip

1088xel-top-panel-blue-small_orig.jpg

1088xel-rear-panel-blue-small_orig.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

James

DId anyone keep these?? I want to 3d print them.  Thanks Michael, but I am not looking for aluminium. Damm kicking myself that I missed this. 

Really was surprised how little made it to Thingyverse for the 1088xel.. too bad.

james

24 minutes ago, Bikerbob said:

DId anyone keep these?? I want to 3d print them.  Thanks Michael, but I am not looking for aluminium. Damm kicking myself that I missed this. 

Really was surprised how little made it to Thingyverse for the 1088xel.. too bad.

james

Are these the files you are looking for?

1088XEL Realan Back Panel (Venkman Design).stl 1088XEL Realan Lid (Venkman Design).stl 1088XEL Realan Top with-cart.stl 1088xel_realan_lid_venkman_design.svg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roydea6 said:

But know where have you said that you then FORMAT'ed either partition.

After FDISK finishes I go back to the SDX D1 prompt and run Format.  When Format finishes running a quick message appears that says,

'Format successful'.  That only stays on the screen for about one second then it disappears and you are back at the format screen.  Then

I go back to the SDX D1 prompt and try to access the drives But I get the same '138 drive not responding' message.  I've tried D3 and C

(which Format likes to change D3 to on its' own when you press 'B' as in the picture).

Note:  I can always go back and look at the partitions with FDISK after I run FORMAT and they appear to be unchanged.

David

21 minutes ago, Bikerbob said:

Man I have not even hooked up my 1088xel since 2019.  Fingers crossed everything is working well.

Got a fuji 1.5 which is supposed to work with the 1088xel right?

James

It will work great. However, if you plug it directly into the SIO port, it will block access to the 3.5mm stereo audio jack. You can either plug it into an extension cable or plug another SIO device in and then plug the FujiNet into that. 

1 hour ago, Bikerbob said:

Man I have not even hooked up my 1088xel since 2019.

Curious... have you used any Atari 8-bit computer in the last 2 years? If so, why no love for the 1088XEL, did it let you down in some way?

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Curious... have you used any Atari 8-bit computer in the last 2 years? If so, why no love for the 1088XEL, did it let you down in some way?

Funny thing - between the 1088XEL, 1088XLD, and 576NUC, the only time I have used a "real" Atari (my 130XE) in the past 4.5 years (not counting my displays at VCFMW) was to run the Joy2Pic to flash some pics for said machines :)

I do have a U1MB in my PAL130XE, but I am SOO spoiled by using a wonderful mechanical keyboard via TK-II and the built in dual CF cards in both 1088 machines.  It is very hard to go back to stock machines now.  As cool as the 576 looks (and as well as it works), it's definitely a "take to shows only" machine for me.  The 1088XLD is my modded to the hilt machine, and won't be coming off the permanent place on the desk anytime soon.

• Like 2

I haven't powered up my XEL for ages (except to test the PoP worked on it). Not for any specific reason except its still a mess of boards and I don't have a finished case for it yet so there is more 'faffing' to do to get it running than my NUC

When I get the time to finish the case, install the PokeyMAXv3 and complete the GBSControl mod so I can get it into a complete system it'll be used a lot more than it currently is. 

Still umming and ahing about adding a rapidus and making it the 'everything' machine it so wants to be. 

Well this is really too embarrassing to admit but...

Today I went back and looked at what I was doing; and then it dawned on me.  Where was the colon after the drive letters?  Looking back at my posts,

I wasn't even adding them there!  I really hope that the Previgen I've been taking for several weeks now will kick in!  Anyway I now have a lot of files

to start moving over!  Sorry to waist your time...

David 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mytek said:

:)

No Michael, life for me changed a great deal over the pandemic. So the 8-bits went in the boxes and away..  I am more settled now. winter is coming.. I am reducing my inventory of atari stuff period. (I am more of a 16bit guy)  So I have decided that that the 1088xel and my 800 w/incognito will be my 8-bit machines.   I was having issues with my UAV - or video out when I last used it I remember.. so there might be a little troubleshooting involved. But HARDWARE is my jam.. so I will look forward to getting this finished with all the bells and whistles I want. 

• Like 2

Hi all, I'm getting back into my 1088XEL which I got (via MacRorie) 3 years ago!

I've been able to upgrade the firmware and replaced a CF card that was giving me trouble. Everything is working as it should.

One thing: I'm running this via VBXE to SCART to a Sony PVM, NTSC, using the CoolNovelties SCART cable. I bought it in Sept 2018. The picture has been clear except for a noticeable row of "snow" scrolling up slowly and repeating during use. No other system in my setup has this issue. I went to the CoolNovelties site and saw they have a "version 2" now, I'm not sure if I have that one or if there's another fix for this sort of noise? 

Since getting some actual 1050 drives, I was wondering is there a trick to being able to use these, along with XEL-CF?  Even if I leave drive letters/numbers open in the loader, and have the physical drives configured to those, I can't seem to see them in Spartados, it seems that XEL-CF is masking them.  Only when turning it off completely in the bios, can I work with the physical drives again.

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn’t resist - started to build my 2nd XEL today ? 

the first sits in a black Realan H80 case (with Cart Slot)

this one goes into a silver Realan H60 with blue top cover and back bezel

mad good progress since this morning - took me about 5 hours so far…

CA5F6D93-9D72-4345-B7F2-0CF574DF4BE2.thumb.jpeg.fb86871d299bbf08ec5b72c09e174f72.jpeg

• Like 7