IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard DIY Builders Thread

Firedawg

On 11/2/2021 at 2:35 PM, Firedawg said:

Thanks @Firedawg, I modiied these this morning, so here is the back panel with @DrVenkman's logo removed and a version with no text at all. One of the problems with that back panel is that the text detail was too fine for a regular filament 3d printer and it needed a resin printer to get the required resolution. the text free version should be ok on a filament printer.

1088XEL Realan Back Panel.stl1088XEL Realan Back Panel (No Text).stl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Mr Robot for making those STLs ?

Just for future reference...

@bfollowell made a more generic set of Front Panel Express panels without any personal logos downloadable from this page: https://ataribits.weebly.com/accessories.html

1088xel_top_panel_blue_large.jpg

1088xel_rear_panel_blue_large.jpg

With the Front Panel Designer program these can then be customized and exported as DXF files, or with a click of a button ordered from Front Panel Express as is.

EDIT: I would appreciate that the Mytek logo be retained on the Front Panel Express rear panel, since I did create the basis for these, as well as pay dearly for the R&D to get everything aligned properly. I realize that the STL versions really don't have the necessary resolution, so they will be the exception.

Edited by mytek
  • Like 4

Just wanted to drop in and say I am resuming work on my 1088XEL.  I have printed the 3D tunnel with my new Elegoo Saturn resin printer.  Wow did it ever come out nice!  I have also purchased the mouse switch from TBA (I have been using the metal switch with 2 LEDs since I 1st did the beta build).  When I get the case all buttoned up, I will also finally have the LEDs in the top case wired in.

Funny - I was on the beta team for the 1088XEL, XLD, and 576NUC.  Somehow, the poor 1088XEL will end up being the last device that is completely finished, just under 5 years from when I started it :)  Wow time flies.

• Like 2

Well, it's finally finished.  I now have a cart tunnel in the Realan H80 case as well as 5 working LEDs on the top plate.  To get this done, I had to file down an incorrect cart port I used.  In doing so, I cut a trace on the PCB :(  Also, the LED status panel was miswired, it only had 8 pins rather than 10 (could have been a very early beta) so I had to cut two traces on that PCB and directly run wires to 2 of the LEDs.  I did use headers so everything can be disconnected.  The final little problem I had, was my XEL-CF3 PCB (I did not assemble it) used machine pins for the status header, so I had to solder wires to a machine pin socket at that end, and used the normal DuPont connector on the other.

This is an original run PCB, version 1.0 (not released).  It is running stereo via 2 PoKeys, and it also has a Sophia2 for DVI output.

Obligatory photos:

06_Small.thumb.jpg.1e0da3e5c75d22a752cafef3dbf251ee.jpg

08_Small.thumb.jpg.ac3068ba76ab2987ec71d8b06a2ccef8.jpg

15_Small.thumb.jpg.759ee30875a7ff91f30d15429aaa45bb.jpg

20_Small.thumb.jpg.e81cad40cf5781be7b682e73d14e2ad8.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Holy smokes, took me this long since my last post to actually fire up the 1088xel. Its working fine, and the Fujinet is also working and Dr. V you were of course right.. blocks the audio out.  I guess I will get a floppy drive working. 

I need to do the CF card thing.. I did not get one when I started this.. guess I figured I had the SIDE2 cart.. but I think the CF card would be good.

James

2 minutes ago, Bikerbob said:

Holy smokes, took me this long since my last post to actually fire up the 1088xel. Its working fine, and the Fujinet is also working and Dr. V you were of course right.. blocks the audio out.

Congratulations James ?

If only I had a time machine I could go back to 2017 and change the location of the audio output to be better suited to the FujiNet Cart.

4 minutes ago, Bikerbob said:

I need to do the CF card thing.. I did not get one when I started this.. guess I figured I had the SIDE2 cart.. but I think the CF card would be good.

There's a new version of that board now that leaves things more open for future expansion. Check it Out

• Haha 1

Ok cool, not really thinking I am going to be going Rapidus, but its a good board anyway. Anyone have a spare board already printed?? OR a CF3 std?  I can build no problem.  I will check with Brewing company maybe he has a kit for these done and I can build from there.

James

On 3/3/2022 at 9:37 PM, chevymad said:

Brewing Academy's video BOB will plug into the monitor port and give you an external audio connection that isn't covered by fujinet.  https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/1088xel-xld/products/bob-the-video-breakout-board-for-the-1088xld

That is cool. $100 after shipping.. I will try Fuji after a floppy of 2 first.. see if I get it to work. OMG I have had all this on the shelf now for so long, I have to figure out how to use some of it all again. I also am 2 revisions of firmware behind at the moment.

XEL-CF2 was superseded by the XEL-CF3, Why build the older variant?

And to answer your question, the CF2 is not as compatible, nor as reliable with as many CF Cards. It'll still work perfectly fine with certain cards. However the older CF2 is also missing the disk swap button which might be a deal breaker for some.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mytek said:

XEL-CF2 was superseded by the XEL-CF3, Why build the older variant?

And to answer your question, the CF2 is not as compatible, nor as reliable with as many CF Cards. It'll still work perfectly fine with certain cards. However the older CF2 is also missing the disk swap button which might be a deal breaker for some.

The reason was right in the question.. $25 extra .. I use Sandisk CF.. IS there a list somewhere how this disk swap button works?

13 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

That is cool. $100 after shipping.. I will try Fuji after a floppy of 2 first.. see if I get it to work. OMG I have had all this on the shelf now for so long, I have to figure out how to use some of it all again. I also am 2 revisions of firmware behind at the moment.

You could just build a cable too. Obviously all the signals are on the monitor port since bob works.  I know what you mean about remembering how to use it as well. I've figured it out, forgotten it, then had to figure things out again lol

• Like 1