IGNORED

Atari Jaguar to 5200 Controller Adapter Project

atariguy1021

I recently finished a Jaguar to 5200 Adapter (Pics below). I wanted to start a thread here to gauge interest and get some input. I currently have the parts on hand to build ten units and will offer more in the future. I don't have a set price yet.

There's a smooth recessed portion on the top of the project box for a label. I've been working with 'pboland' on a label for the project and he has also stated that he is willing to create 5200 overlays for the Jaguar controller if the demand is there.

I currently have the buttons that aren't self explanatory mapped as follows:

A = Bottom Fire Button

B = Top Fire Button

C = Start

Option = Reset

I was considering implementing a feature where some combo of button presses swaps the fire button mapping around. Not sure if anyone would make use of that? Any suggestions are welcome!

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff... more to follow!

Size Reference

post-26765-0-06695400-1512585568.jpg

Recessed Top for Label

post-26765-0-21648700-1512585615.jpg

post-26765-0-17312300-1512585627.jpg

There's two small pots on the bottom to adjust vertical and horizontal center, a small Phillips screwdriver is needed.

post-26765-0-66924600-1512585675.jpg

• Like 12

Seems like making C "start" could cause problems. Are you able to map start and reset to the select/pause buttons and make C Pause instead? Start will reset some games as I recall. I know that's weird, but might help avoid losing everything in some games through inadvertent restart.

• Like 2

Yeap I too am interested in at least 1 of these adapters as well. And I also agree that using the C button for Start isn't a good idea. Most games will reset and restart if you press Start during gameplay. That could easily be done by accident when playing a game. It would be best to remap the start and reset to the Pause and Option buttons on the jaguar controller and then map C to Pause. I know that isn't very intuitive, but pressing pause by accident is a far better thing during a game to do then to press start or reset...Yikes!

• Like 2

I recently finished a Jaguar to 5200 Adapter (Pics below). I wanted to start a thread here to gauge interest and get some input. I currently have the parts on hand to build ten units and will offer more in the future. I don't have a set price yet.

Very cool!

• Like 1

Very cool!

I was going to suggest in the CV controller thread that you should use Jaguar controller pad shells to make ColecoVision hand-helds, since some guy in the Jaguar thread is planning to buy a bunch of Jaguar Pro Pad shells to make new pro pads, but felt maybe I'd pestered you some already todaty. It really looks like a modern console version of a ColecoVision controller pad with the keyboard ready to have the pcb installed. Of course a thumb stick wouldn't hurt and I not left thumbed. :lolblue:

• Like 1

I think that is fine. I know it will seem odd that Pause isn't actually Pause for the 5200, but making the C button anything else other than Pause is sure to cause some curses to be spewed forth from thine mouths of angry gamers if they press the C button and it does a reset or restarts the game...

I think that is fine. I know it will seem odd that Pause isn't actually Pause for the 5200, but making the C button anything else other than Pause is sure to cause some curses to be spewed forth from thine mouths of angry gamers if they press the C button and it does a reset or restarts the game...

Odd until the new muscle memory kicks in and you don't accidentally reset it when you mean to pause from years of Jaguar playing. However, fantastic after the first time you accidentally pause a game by pressing C or A (whichever you choose, it becomes obvious after a minute or so).

By the way, if you want to screw a thumbstick into the D-pad, like a few people have done to their NES/SNES.

1. Would that even make sense for this

2. If the D-pad material gets messed up by thumbstick mod (e.g., torn) are there replacement D-pads for Jaguars or did you just brick the whole thing?

I don't think this is a serious requirement, but it may be a nice addition.

I'm so down with this. I've wanted this for years. But three things:

*Don't use one of the 3 main fire buttons as a "Select" or "Reset". Instead, use it like an extra "fire" or "action" button. For instance, on Pole Position, you can set up a flip switch for high/low gear shift. People add that when they convert the CX52 over to a Paddle Controller. It would be nice just to have a button for that. Who knows? It might convince other homebrew hackers to add 3rd-button functionality to certain games.

*Make sure you review how the ProControllers work by adding the 3 extra fire buttons plus the shoulder buttons.

*Will there be an option to buy the board and cable on its own? Thought I'd ask because perhaps someone could design a case that could match the aesthetics of the 5200 more and make it available on Thingiverse as an STL for 3d Printing...

I'm so down with this. I've wanted this for years. But three things:

*Don't use one of the 3 main fire buttons as a "Select" or "Reset". Instead, use it like an extra "fire" or "action" button. For instance, on Pole Position, you can set up a flip switch for high/low gear shift. People add that when they convert the CX52 over to a Paddle Controller. It would be nice just to have a button for that. Who knows? It might convince other homebrew hackers to add 3rd-button functionality to certain games.

*Make sure you review how the ProControllers work by adding the 3 extra fire buttons plus the shoulder buttons.

*Will there be an option to buy the board and cable on its own? Thought I'd ask because perhaps someone could design a case that could match the aesthetics of the 5200 more and make it available on Thingiverse as an STL for 3d Printing...

If you don't use one of the main fire buttons for at least pause, then in your concept here, how does one get all three of those to work on a standard jag controller? Because you have to be able to Start, Reset, and Pause the games in some way. Many games can be started just using start and essentially reset using start again, but not all of them. And you can't relegate one of those functions to the keypad because all the keypad buttons have to remain available for 5200 games that might use them more like Star Raiders or Space Shuttle as examples.

So with a standard Jag controllers, I really don't see any other option but to use one of the main 3 fire buttons to be the pause button and setup reset and start on the actual Pause and Option buttons on the Jag controller.