IGNORED

Atari Jaguar to 5200 Controller Adapter Project

atariguy1021

Use the Pause button for Pause, the Option button for start and Pause+Option for reset? Then maybe some jumpers on the adapter to let each person to set up the A,B,C buttons however they want. I know I'd personally prefer to have B and C setup as the fire buttons since with most of the games I play on my other consoles it's either the left most button (on 2 button controllers) or the bottom button (on 4 button controllers) that gets the most use.

• Like 2

Oh no, I started something here... ;)

I could program it so that a short press of 'Option' acts as 'Start' and a long press as 'Reset.' Then 'Pause' can go back to its properly labeled home. How does that sound?

And the idea here is to be able to have 'C' mapped to a numerical key of the player's choosing? I just want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Well if you can set it up so that Option does a start or reset with a long press and pause is pause that is a great choice right there. As for the abc button mapping beyond that I couldn't tell you. I think he was suggesting that the A and C buttons be mapped to however you want and the third button be mapped to allow the gear ship up and down for something like Pole Position.

Makes me wonder if this adapter would work with the rotary controllers for games like breakout...pole position etc...?

Well if you can set it up so that Option does a start or reset with a long press and pause is pause that is a great choice right there. As for the abc button mapping beyond that I couldn't tell you. I think he was suggesting that the A and C buttons be mapped to however you want and the third button be mapped to allow the gear ship up and down for something like Pole Position.

Makes me wonder if this adapter would work with the rotary controllers for games like breakout...pole position etc...?

I've gotta think about this some.

Pause should be Pause.

Option should be Start.

Reset should be some button combination. Actually, this pondering is starting to make me really like the thought of that mod someone did that added Pause, Select, and Reset to the 5200 Console itself. I'm not sure if that pic is here on AtariAge; I think I saw it in the 5200 group on Facebook.

Then again, maybe the mythical "third" 5200 button should exclusively be done by the Left and Right Shoulder Buttons on the Jag Pro Controller. That would mimic Paddle Shifting and it would be perfect for the Hi/Lo Toggle Switch that many have added to the CX52 for use with Pole Position.

As for Rotary, I don't know if that would work. Aren't the Jag rotary mods digital?

And I think a perfect box for the PCB would be the Jag Team Tap box. Now, if someone would 3D Scan that mofo... :)

Edited by Lynxpro

I'm open to any and all suggestions but I make no promises. I will check the thread daily so if you have a good idea don't hesitate to share it and I will do the same. If the consensus is that it would be an improvement and I can implement it without too much difficulty then I will do so. I will explore the suggestions posted here in the time leading up to the arrival of the labels from pboland. After that, I'm going to finalize the code and wrap it up. Otherwise, this project could go on indefinitely and never come to fruition... I have enough of those projects!

Also, I will take a look at the bill of materials and set a price over the weekend.

• Like 2

I'm open to any and all suggestions but I make no promises. I will check the thread daily so if you have a good idea don't hesitate to share it and I will do the same. If the consensus is that it would be an improvement and I can implement it without too much difficulty then I will do so. I will explore the suggestions posted here in the time leading up to the arrival of the labels from pboland. After that, I'm going to finalize the code and wrap it up. Otherwise, this project could go on indefinitely and never come to fruition... I have enough of those projects!

Also, I will take a look at the bill of materials and set a price over the weekend.

Awaiting with anticipation,

most of the games are digital so majority will work great with this adapter.

And alot of the analogue games work fine with the original controller and Wico Command Stick.

Cant wait to order, need 4, will be great to get 5200 Jaguar Overlays :) if they ever came out.

• Like 2

You have a wide open top on the adapter housing. I put 3 separate momentary buttons there for start, pause and reset. I mapped a parallel path for the jag to have start and reset on the controller. I mapped a and c to the top button and b to the bottom one. This way I did not worry about accidental pause pushes but it is still available.

Also, a reverse adapter: 5200 controllers on the Jag. Getting the CX53 to work with the Jag - or the STe & Falcon030 - would be pimp!

I would just make reset a long press of option or a press of both option and pause. I think the first is easier.

I would also add that if any 5200 games use the two buttons for left and right direction of some action, to set the corresponding buttons in that order for C and B or B and A, or copy A to C. If something uses the buttons for shoot left/shoot right, it would be really confusing to have them in the opposite order. I can't think of any off-hand, but I have had that problem with the buttons on some colecovision controllers for Tutankanham. Its not a widespread problem, but worth getting ahead of, I think.

Sorry for the late suggestion here - the Jag ProController has 2 shoulder buttons. Those would map nicely to the 2 5200 fire buttons.

There is a thread in the Jag forum to get new Procontrollers built for a responsible price - if interested head on over to the Jag forum and sign up.

I'm interested in getting one.

For button configuration, I think C and A should be the same button (ex: C = top, B = bottom, A = top). This way, you can always play the way you prefer, i.e. if you like "jump" being the left button and shoot being the right button or vice versa.

• Like 1

Sorry for the late suggestion here - the Jag ProController has 2 shoulder buttons. Those would map nicely to the 2 5200 fire buttons.

There is a thread in the Jag forum to get new Procontrollers built for a responsible price - if interested head on over to the Jag forum and sign up.

Please sign up for the Jag ProController production run. They are at 500 orders and I think they need 600 to break-even and get the job done. The due date to sign up is 12/31. You get 2 controllers per order.

This is being done because they are heavily in demand. Used controllers tend to go between $200 - $500 USD on ePay.

Please get the word out. The controllers can be used natively by any Atari STe - excluding the Mega STe models - and the Atari Falcon030, not to mention the Atari Jaguar. And with this adapter in the works, the mighty Atari 5200 too. As has been mentioned here, various offerings have converted JagPads to work with the ColecoVision - and possibly the Intellivision - and I'd say that's definitely a perfect controller for that console. Best Electronics sells an adapter cable for it for use with the 2600 - and Atari 8-bits, and the ST, basically any system with a DB9 for a controller port - but it only supports 1 fire button action...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well now I have an extra reason to collect for the Jag now lol. I've been eyeing these adapters up for some time. Even though I have the upgraded 5200 controller, I still hate the 5200 controller. Other than Pole Position of course, it plays like a dream lol. I'm more than interested in a Jag to 5200 adapter! My 5200 is just a hard machine to love with the CX52.

• Like 1

Well now I have an extra reason to collect for the Jag now lol. I've been eyeing these adapters up for some time. Even though I have the upgraded 5200 controller, I still hate the 5200 controller. Other than Pole Position of course, it plays like a dream lol. I'm more than interested in a Jag to 5200 adapter! My 5200 is just a hard machine to love with the CX52.

No problem here. Only been at it a few weeks and I like the controller more each day! :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...