IGNORED

Getting a floppy drive

CamTheBridge

Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a floppy drive for my 99, but I don't want to break the bank for one. Is there anywhere (or any other type of drive) that I could get? What are all your suggestions?

Thanks!

First off, do you have an expansion box? Have you read the pinned post FAQ?

Greg

I'm guessing you need a storage medium and are not just in the market to collect one.

Unless you want to go virtual floppy. Is there a reason you want an actual physical floppy drive? (You have disks you want to access?).

I think virtual floppies are the way to go if you don't have a PEB. If you did have a PEB with a floppy disk controller, I'd recommend a GoTek or HxC virtual floppy drive.

Without a PEB, the only things I know of or can think of at the moment are nanoPEB which stores virtual floppy drives on a CF Card. OR wait until TiPi is ready which will allow you to use a Raspberry Pi as virtual floppy drives plus more. (easiest transfer from PC to TI via web browser interface, open files across the web, more to come as development continues...)

If you have physical floppy disks you want access to, there are members here (including myself) that are willing to transfer those disks to virtual disk files for use in emulators or virtual floppy drives.

EDIT: fixed some typos.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I'm guessing you need a storage medium and are not just in the market to collect one.

Unless you want to go virtual floppy. Is there a reason you want an actual physical floppy drive? (You have disks you want to access?).

I think virtual floppies are the way to go if you don't have a PEB. If you did have a PEB with a floppy disk controller, I'd recommend a GoTek or HxC virtual floppy drive.

Without a PEB, the only things I know of or can think of at the moment are nanoPEB which stores virtual floppy drives on a CF Card. OR wait until TiPi is ready which will allow you to use a Raspberry Pi as virtual floppy drives plus more. (easiest transfer from PC to TI via web browser interface, open files across the web, more to come as development continues...)

If you have physical floppy disks you want access to, there are members here (including myself) that are willing to transfer those disks to virtual disk files for use in emulators or virtual floppy drives.

EDIT: fixed some typos.

I don't have any physical floppys, I'm more just really into how cool old storage media is. I LOVE using cassettes to store BASIC code, and I figured having a real floppy would be pretty fun too, but since its so expensive to aquire a drive I'll just go the more modern route

Haha, it seems like everyone is out west. I'm all the way over in Massachusetts, but thanks for the offer. Its looking like I'm probably going to go for a nanoPEB

Take a number... They're backordered and arcadeshopper doesn't know when the next batch is coming in.