IGNORED

Atari Jaguar to PC Enhanced port of FAST FOOD 64

WAVE 1 GAMES

So wine is windows emulation then? Ok I didnt know. Well that stinks :(

Well they would dispute that characterization. WINE stands for (WINE Is Not an Emulator). They call it a compatibility layer or a combination of a re-implementation of Windows API and translation layers. When all is said and done it is essentially a Windows emulator. It is a great piece of software when it works. It can run a lot of games amazingly well. It probably would run your game. Still you are offering me a free copy to evaluate the quality of the game and stability of the code. Wine throws a big unknown in the mix and invalidates any findings so it would not be right for me to accept a free copy for that purpose.

• Like 2

Well they would dispute that characterization. WINE stands for (WINE Is Not an Emulator). They call it a compatibility layer or a combination of a re-implementation of Windows API and translation layers. When all is said and done it is essentially a Windows emulator. It is a great piece of software when it works. It can run a lot of games amazingly well. It probably would run your game. Still you are offering me a free copy to evaluate the quality of the game and stability of the code. Wine throws a big unknown in the mix and invalidates any findings so it would not be right for me to accept a free copy for that purpose.

I'm a little prejudiced wrt JB so my take is that he offers you/me/us a free copy so you can "beta" test it. So "free" is really only your time at this stage as if you are just half the stickler I am you'd try really hard to search for flaws and likely find some.

He'll keep saying that it's perfect until proven it's not, and then there will be a patch, then another, this time with digital distribution it will be easier to get an "improved" version (or just another beta, depending on your point of view).

Maybe I am wrong, actually certainly I am wrong as JB knows better this time around or so I hope.

[technically this should have been time dedicated in polishing the jag zombie game but everyone deserves a break and if in his free-time he ports a game to PC so be it, who am I to judge? He's actually quite prolific, that's for sure]

Maybe I am wrong, actually certainly I am wrong as JB knows better this time around or so I hope.

[technically this should have been time dedicated in polishing the jag zombie game but everyone deserves a break and if in his free-time he ports a game to PC so be it, who am I to judge? He's actually quite prolific, that's for sure]

That offer was for you as well. See you seem to be a bit confused. This game WAS beta tested, extensively. Not just by me. Others were involved as well. I don't want you to test it. I want you to PLAY it. The thing you guys aren't undertanding here is I am far more experienced with PC than with Jaguar. There was zero learning curve here. Also add to the fact that some of the Jaguar games code was able to be copied and pasted into the PC version. The whole process was MUCH easier. I ran into zero problems. No trouble at all. It may seem unbelievable, hell I barely believe it myself, but this build is SOLID. I wouldn't offer you guys a copy if I wasn't sure of what you would find. That would only welcome MORE bashing and MORE negative criticism. Some of the issues that occurred in the Jag version actually DID present themselves here, but being that I saw these issues before I knew to keep an eye out and being that this was a different environment it was much easier to take care of these things so they were a non issue. I encourage you to take me up on my offer. You might be surprised and actually find yourself having FUN while playing my game.

Imagine that. ;)

Also fyi, I have been working on JagZombies too. Not as much as I was focused on the port but it is still progressing just SLOWLY. Anyway it seems people prefer slow progress.

You dont have access to a single pc running windows in late 2017?

I prefer Linux (Gentoo) as my main OS and I also have a Mac for porting software to that platform and for maintaining the Mac release of Odamex. I've been using Linux for over 18 years. It is the OS I am most comfortable with. I have no need for Windows. I build my own PCs and I never purchase an OS since I know I'm going to install Linux anyway. So no I don't have one. The last computer I purchased that had Windows pre-installed was a laptop that came with Vista. I wiped that out and replaced it with a Linux distro as soon as I got it home.

I prefer Linux (Gentoo) as my main OS and I also have a Mac for porting software to that platform and for maintaining the Mac release of Odamex. I've been using Linux for over 18 years. It is the OS I am most comfortable with. I have no need for Windows. I build my own PCs and I never purchase an OS since I know I'm going to install Linux anyway. So no I don't have one. The last computer I purchased that had Windows pre-installed was a laptop that came with Vista. I wiped that out and replaced it with a Linux distro as soon as I got it home.

I was thinking more that you must know SOMEONE who has a pc running windows, on which you could try the game.

I was thinking more that you must know SOMEONE who has a pc running windows, on which you could try the game.

Most of the computer geeks and/or fellow programmers I know also run Linux. I do have some gamer friends that run Windows but they live on the other side of town. Between work, my kids, and my wife recovering from surgery that is just too much effort. I'm sure others will try the game and report any problems they find. My OS preferences are getting to be a little off topic for this thread.

Most of the computer geeks and/or fellow programmers I know also run Linux. I do have some gamer friends that run Windows but they live on the other side of town. Between work, my kids, and my wife recovering from surgery that is just too much effort. I'm sure others will try the game and report any problems they find. My OS preferences are getting to be a little off topic for this thread.

Fair enough, just wanted you to try it for yourself is all.

• Like 1

Fair enough, just wanted you to try it for yourself is all.

Did I send you a copy? Did you try it? I can't remember, I know I meant to send you a copy on FB.

Maybe I never sent it.....

I know I sent Albert a copy of it, not sure if he got around to trying it yet or not. I sent a few others the game too. Maybe they will chime in here.

Did I send you a copy? Did you try it? I can't remember, I know I meant to send you a copy on FB.

Maybe I never sent it.....

I know I sent Albert a copy of it, not sure if he got around to trying it yet or not. I sent a few others the game too. Maybe they will chime in here.

You did, have not tried it out yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Amusing review blunt as all hell too. I never played the old game but I remember the name and that did look interesting as it takes the idea of an overly basic concept and runs with it in a fascinating way to encourage you to keep hitting it for a better score or variations set on the terms of the chewing conquest involved. It would truly take a solid chronic masticator to really enjoy this game.

Edited by Tanooki