IGNORED

Apps for managing a system/game collection

Bradsco

I'm posting here since it's the forum I frequent most, but this applies to all classic systems. I've tried a few apps for managing my meager game collection but none were as intuitive or streamlined as I'd like, so I started writing my own. I wanted to see if anyone else uses something like this, their likes/dislikes and what kind of features (if any) would be desirable. Currently my app acts as a simple checklist for the following systems:

Atari 2600, 5200, 7800

Bally Astrocade

Colecovision

Emerson Arcadia 2001

Fairchild Channel F

Intellivision
Magnavox Odyssey2

Vectrex

It includes (to the best of my research) all the commercially released games for each system.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

• Like 1

I don't know what your app is or how it works or what it looks like therefore I can't comment on it. I can tell you to always store your information locally and in a file format that is readily accepted by computers. And especially one that can be backed up.

Never depend on anything "cloud". Because, when you change your mobile device or some suit makes an arbitrary change to something in the cloud or terms of service, it will break.

I personally like using an older copy of Microsoft Office, it is working today, and will continue to work for decades to come. And I can always export/import to other applications. Conduct all the work on a desktop and then sync to mobile or print to paper.

The data fields I have currently look like this, and they are geared toward providing detailed instant information about any one piece in my collection. May be overkill for some, but you can make your database to be anything you want.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Name:

Type:

Manufacturer:

Part #:

Model #:

Serial #:

Revision:

Accessories:

Documentation:

Box:

Media:

Photos:

Original:

Original BITD:

Ebay value:

Tested:

Working:

Notes 1:

Notes 2:

And filled out it would look something like this:

Name: Communication Board

Type: Serial Interface Card

Manufacturer: Apple Computer Inc.

Part #: 670-X003

Model #: N/A

Serial #: N/A

Revision: 1

Accessories: Cable and fitments

Documentation Manual

Box: No

Media: None

Photos: 5509-5511

Original: Yes

Original BITD: No

Ebay value: $90

Tested: Yes

Working: Yes

Notes 1: Apple's first serial interface

Notes 2: Wanted one back in the day

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

I just use Gameye on my phone. I've been quite impressed with it and found it to be everything I need. Is it cloud based...sorta yes in that your current DB of your collection is on the Gameye server. But, you can export the data to CSV to your phone or other mobile device at any time. Doing that I can then simply email the exported file to myself and then import back into Excel or whatever else I feel I need. Sure a few steps are involved, but I like the ease of the its use and the fact that I can add games to their DB if they don't yet exist.

My only real issue with Gameye is that their DB host for the games, does NOT recognize Homebrews as actual releases. So...any submissions for homebrew games that try to get added to their DB, get shot down. Still with the export, I can still add those few titles in separately. And I'm hopeful that one day they will allow the Homebrews into the DB. I'm going to guess they don't because the line on what constitutes an actual homebrew release vs a rom hack is often on the same line and it would likely be impossible to keep up with all of those.

I used to track all my game stuff on a spreadsheet, which I still reference, but no longer really keep up to date any more.

It was important when I was buying lots of games and I didn't want to needlessly spend any significant money on duplicates, but the number of new games I bring home is very few now. I do add those to the list, but don't delete entries when I sell or otherwise remove games from my collection.

I agree it's better to have the data local and under my complete control due to cloud-curators changing priorities and potential future changes in terms of service/business realities. You never know...IP laws might morph into something that criminalizes what you are doing with "their" information.

I use www.rfgeneration.com , its a great website and you can download the free app for your phone. Its got the games and pics already entered all you have to do is add the checkmarks.

The best part is that is has a great checklist feature that lets you print out the entire console library and your games are already checked off! This tool alone makes it worthwhile for me when updating and doing inventory of my games.

I use www.rfgeneration.com , its a great website and you can download the free app for your phone. Its got the games and pics already entered all you have to do is add the checkmarks.

The best part is that is has a great checklist feature that lets you print out the entire console library and your games are already checked off! This tool alone makes it worthwhile for me when updating and doing inventory of my games.

This is what I use too, but I have correct Marco on one point: not all games have pics and not even all games are in there. It is easy to add new games and pics for the most part though.