IGNORED

Reiko's Robot Run

Turbo Laser Lynx

hmm I have a dilemna, going back to France in a week from now, is there a chance that the letter travel from Finland to Sweden in just 7 days :D

Posted on sunday in Finland, delivered today in France.

You can also order to a french postal adress and put it under the christmas tree ;)

Cool.....that parallax scrolling gave me a Moon Patrol feeling :)

:thumbsup: :)

Awesome work! Ordered =D =D =D

Thanks man!

Is it just me, or do this game's graphics kind of resemble Psychic World on the Master System and Game Gear?

It's not really inspired by any single game, but you're right that it's 'cartoony' :) The cute cartoon style is a general stylistic choice which was very common on 8-bit and 16-bit systems, especially in japanese games. I didn't use cartoon images or game images for reference, but I did use some photo reference of the hovercrafts and stuff to be able to cartoonify them. Cartoons are the same as caricatures where you exaggerate stuff with meticulous thought, if stuff is exaggerated without thought it's just distortion. There's basically two main ways to exaggerate stuff to make it cartoony, either by stretching stuff out or by squashing it. My main inspirations for the chibi (means cute) style in RRR was bubble bobble and rainbow islands, but it's been common practice, not only by the japanese, since the early days of cartoons and animation to draw cute characters 'two heads or two and a half heads tall', one head-length for the head and one head-length for the rest. I think the style works really well on older systems with limited resolution, and often sprites with tiny resolution, it was a smart move by the japanese. Obviously cartoons are powerful visual statements too because of their exaggeration and simplification. I wish there would be more games with a cartoon style now a days, the technology is not in the way anymore, just look at cuphead, paper mario color splash and wario shake it / the shake dimension etc.. Sorry for the wall of text :-D I'm quite passionate about 'toons.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 3

The current agreement with TLL was to only have it on the cart as a filler.

The download in 10 days from now will be just the novel.

post-2099-0-94181800-1513329790.jpg

Snowing. I love it as the snow lights up everything icon_smile.gif

This is as much light as we get today. Pitch black when I go to work and pitch black when I get home.

Edited by karri
  • Like 3

@Guitari: Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

@Turbo Laser Lynx: You aren't the only one here who's passionate about classic cartoons, and animation in general. I also say that you're better at drawing sprites for the Lynx than me, or most official developers for that matter.

Edited by SlidellMan
  • Like 2

Hi everyone! I'm happy to announce my new little game 'Reiko's Robot Run'. It is released on physical cartridge alongside Karri's 'Always Winter, Never Christmas'.

http://www.whitelynx.fi/shop/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/272139-always-winter-never-christmas/

Karri has been helping me with my Lynx endeavors for many, many years, so I'm very happy to be part of this co-release. Extra special thanks to him and big thanks to everyone who's been working on tools and documentation, making Lynx game creation possible and more enjoyable over the years.

I hope you enjoy this little game that is a parody, or caricature if you will, of something very popular. The game is about a girl called Reiko whose story we all know too well, collecting junk every day to get her food, gazing at the stars and dreaming away.

- You control Reiko on her hover-moped.

- Watch out for Swarmtroopers.

- Collect junk B33r robots.

- Admire crashed 'Planet Pulverizer' star ship in the background

- Dig the music.

- Every 100 points the Junkyard alien Unken Prutt will give you one third of a food ration (one energy).

- He wants you to try and get 1000 junk if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6iY0BGHac&feature=youtu.be

Dev Stuff:

It's quite ridiculous how much effort goes into a small game like this when you want to cover all the standard parts of a game, and to have some sort of quality! I spent every night for one full month last autumn and every night for one full month this autumn developing it. But I must say that I had such a good time.

I set out to re-learn how to create a small Lynx game, but my main goal was to learn how to develop ALL the most important parts needed for creating a 'real/full' Lynx game next (because that's always been my dream). Some stuff I managed to figure out my self and again many things I learned from the kind Lynx developers here at Atari Age.

Stuff I Learned (Successes!):

- Learning about developing the most important parts needed for a 'real/full' Lynx game

- Learning how to use Karri's cart segments (loading in new parts from cart to RAM).

- First Lynx game where I put real effort into the graphics

- First Lynx game where I put real effort into the music

- Learning more about chipper, slowly but surely (Thanks for the wonderful tool Sage!)

- Learning how to have music and sfx side by side (Thanks Sage, Karri and Tonma!)

- Re-learning how to use the Lynx palette (which can be tricky).

Special thanks to LX.net for his amazing Lynx tutorials, without them this project would not have been possible.

Some adversity:

In many ways it was a typical development project, because when I was about 98% done I learned about the Lynx hardware hoff and voff registers (I've only recently realized that 'custom hardware' is exciting) and I thought that I probably should re-write and re-draw big parts of the whole thing. However I will go by the theories that you have to finish something to be able to move on, and that you learn by doing, being a total perfectionist only slows down learning. Now I can move on to something new and better for the Lynx.

The scrolling is not perfect, you can choose in the options of the game to either have smoother scrolling that is a bit blurry (not as blurry as in the video, I guess the fps of the Lynx is higher that the camera/video) or clearer scrolling that is less smooth and has some hick ups. Still I wanted to leave both settings in the game. In my own opinion the game looks pretty nice on a real Lynx, especially on a McWill Lynx. And I thought I was so smart using the Lynx scaling to stretch out a small blue box for the sky and a small orange box for the ground, and then only scroll smaller sprites!

Reikos_Robot_Run_0_42.jpeg

Anyways, cheers to everyone here at the Lynx forum and hopefully you will have fun with the game for a while and/or enjoy the graphics and the music :)

Hello, I'd like to buy a cart of Reikos Robot Run but u couldn't find it on your website.

Could you give me a link to order page?

Thanks.

@Turbo Laser Lynx: You aren't the only one here who's passionate about classic cartoons, and animation in general.

Yeah sorry if I came of as an smart ass besserwisser, I just wanted anyone reading this thread to know some of my toon-thoughts when creating the graphics for this game, but I was in a hurry when writing it and wasn't able to put it any more elegantly at that moment :/ I'm really happy there's other people out there passionate about that stuff, because sometimes it feels like it's slowly disappearing from games and pop-culture etc.

I also say that you're better at drawing sprites for the Lynx than me, or most official developers for that matter.

Thanks man, that's so nice of you, it's probably the best feedback I ever got for any of my 'art-stuff'. Hopefully I will be able to maintain somewhat high-standard pixel art in my forthcoming lynx game that would concist of completely original characters and environments. Do you have any of your Lynx graphics for display somewhere on the net? It would be exciting to check it out.

Hello, I'd like to buy a cart of Reikos Robot Run but u couldn't find it on your website.

Could you give me a link to order page?

Thanks.

Hi! It's for sale in Karri's shop, it's on the 'Always winter, never Christmas' cartridge.

Yeah sorry if I came of as an smart ass besserwisser, I just wanted anyone reading this thread to know some of my toon-thoughts when creating the graphics for this game, but I was in a hurry when writing it and wasn't able to put it any more elegantly at that moment :/ I'm really happy there's other people out there passionate about that stuff, because sometimes it feels like it's slowly disappearing from games and pop-culture etc.

Thanks man, that's so nice of you, it's probably the best feedback I ever got for any of my 'art-stuff'. Hopefully I will be able to maintain somewhat high-standard pixel art in my forthcoming lynx game that would concist of completely original characters and environments. Do you have any of your Lynx graphics for display somewhere on the net? It would be exciting to check it out.

Hi! It's for sale in Karri's shop, it's on the 'Always winter, never Christmas' cartridge.

Thank you.

Robot run plays a little bit like Flappy.....easy to

play,but a great game

Thanks, that's nice of you. I guess simple games can be enjoyable if you're in the mood, but next game will hopefully be a bit more exciting gameplay-wise! :) (Still quite simple though).

Just got it today, took me a minute figuring out I needed to press left to switch. I did run into a bug though. After a few rounds when the back changes the control because in responsive and you go right through object. I did try this after several playthoughs on never xmas

Yes, but actually while the controls are no responsive objects pass right through the character. i.e during this period object collision detection isn't working. Control will come back for about 1-2 seconds, then you'll be able to collide or move and then it'll happen again. As far as I can tell nobody else has had this problem, maybe something leftover from AWNC? I am guessing most people are just playing one or the other, I'll not discuss AWNC to avoid spoilers though.

• 3 months later...

Anyone up for helping out brainstorming a parody name of "Star Wars"? It's possible that I'd need it later for something (NOT another Lynx game). It's a bit harder to know what's funny when English isn't my first language. Something like Space Balls, Space Waltz, Planet Drama, etc... The only thing I know at least is that I'd want to remove the word 'war' from it. I remember laughing in tears that R2 is called 'Bar Stool' in Mad Magazine :grin:

Anyone up for helping out brainstorming a parody name of "Star Wars"? It's possible that I'd need it later for something (NOT another Lynx game). It's a bit harder to know what's funny when English isn't my first language. Something like Space Balls, Space Waltz, Planet Drama, etc... The only thing I know at least is that I'd want to remove the word 'war' from it. I remember laughing in tears that R2 is called 'Bar Stool' in Mad Magazine :grin:

An anagram would be 'Ars Warts'... that'll go over well with Aussie audiences! :rolling:

• Like 1

attachicon.gif20171215_110607_resized.jpg

Snowing. I love it as the snow lights up everything icon_smile.gif

This is as much light as we get today. Pitch black when I go to work and pitch black when I get home.

Wow! At first I thought that this image was photo shopped!

That's a ridiculous amount of daylight for northern Finland in December.

But then I checked google maps, and recalled Espoo is below Tampere and way more south than Oulu, which is much darker in December.

It sucks that you don't even get a proper cold in winter, just the darkness... and sauna :)

But just few months later, midnight sun :)