IGNORED

Asteroids Deluxe from TNT

davyK

Just ordered this and it's on the way over the Atlantic to me! Can't wait.

Going by the short burst of gameplay it looks like the original ROM set (hard!) as it starts with 6 asteroids on screen- although that could be just the dip switch settings if it's v2 ROM. I like my Asteroids tough so that suits me fine either way!.

You can see it at 20' 45'' of this video. My first (and probably only!!!!) cabinet. Super pumped up about this.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 7

Meant to say - the shield button is red which I hadn't seen before. Pictures I have seen have been all white buttons - but I've seen pictures since ordering this with the red shield button too so there must be a couple of different cabinet versions at least.

There's an expansion kit for a classic Asteroids that lets you play Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe and Lunar Lander in the one cabinet. Not sure quite how Lunar Lander would work - I guess you use the fire and thrust buttons for thrust increase and decrease.

That would be very nice but I like the reflected floating image that you get with the Deluxe cabinet - and it's by far the one game out of those three that I would play the most.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

There's an expansion kit for a classic Asteroids that lets you play Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe and Lunar Lander in the one cabinet. Not sure quite how Lunar Lander would work - I guess you use the fire and thrust buttons for thrust increase and decrease.

That would be very nice but I like the reflected floating image that you get with the Deluxe cabinet - and it's by far the one game out of those three that I would play the most.

So did it get there yet?

Shipping had to be killer. Were you not able to find one locally? I thought they'd be fairly common in Ireland as Atari manufactured a huge portion of them in Tipperary Town.

It is a very reliable game. Bought mine about 20 years ago for $75, repaired a few cold solder joints on a monitor connector and it's been a zero issue machine since. Last week I put in a new "white" black light and wow what a difference over the original nearly dead bulb! The 3D background using the 2 way mirror is stunning. The huge speaker and powerful amp is also impressive.

Missile Command has also been 100% reliable; just Atari quality. Now my Defender is a nightmare, it rarely goes 6 months without needing repairs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't find one anywhere in the UK or Ireland - never mind in the condition I'd want - as I'm not really capable when it comes to electronics. The Irish plant probably shipped them all over Europe - there doesn't seem to many around.

TNT are a bit expensive but it is totally rebuilt and serviced so should be OK, assuming no mishaps with the shipping. i reckon I'll be getting something of quality from them.

6th Jan Still no sign of it!!!! (to be fair the 5th is an ETA). Have received various bits of paperwork associated with the shipping in the last week so it must be close....Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

That's a beautiful cabinet!!

Whatever you paid,...It's worth it...

Myself I've owned an Asteroids cab (A White one at that instead of black) since the 80's (though it currently needs repair)...But I've always wanted an Asteroids Deluxe. I'm sure you'll Love it!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Importer contacted me today. It's arrived in Ireland.

No doubt some red tape to get through with customs etc. Ireland is complicated as I live in the North which is part of the UK. Doesn't seem to be an issue though - it's heading up North to me tomorrow.....

excited. Hope to get this to my home by the end of the week.

Edited by davyK

Yeah - might even do the ultimate unboxing video but I might not be patient enough to do that!!! :)

The shipper emailed me today to say it will be at my local port tomorrow - just a couple of miles away from me.

Yes, that would make one heck of an unboxing video!

Can't wait to see this.

How will you handle the voltage difference? A large step down transformer?

TNT have converted it for me. According to them this cabinet is easy to do as Atari built a power supply to handle 4 different voltages - there are 4 connectors feeding into the power supply in the cabinet and you just make sure the power inlet cord is connected to the right one. They have set that up for 240v already. I can either change the US plug on the power lead for a UK one or just use an adaptor. I have a US to UK adaptor already so I can use that initially and decide if I want to fit a UK plug myself later.

They have tested it at 240v already (it's at the end of the video at the top of the thread).

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

Cleared through customs and all bills paid. I've paid the shipper a wee bit extra to deliver it to my door. I really didn't fancy trying to arrange delivery for a 300lb , 6 foot high package myself!

They are going to email me a delivery time.

Hyped to the rafters here - can almost taste it!!!!!

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

They have tested it at 240v already (it's at the end of the video at the top of the thread).

That makes life easier. Apparently I didn't watch it all the way to the end the first time.

Been so long since I've been in mine, I forgot the multi-tap plugs.

When you get it, be careful moving it. The weird shape and placement of the monitor makes it top heavy with a tendency to fall forward.

Delivery is Tuesday afternoon.

Because Asteroids Dx is a reflected image game the monitor isn't as high in the cabinet as normal - so it isn't quite as top-heavy. But you are right i will need to careful.

I have a truck trolley that I've used to move tall fridges with etc. So once it's placed in my garage I can unbox it there and take it off the palette. I have a door from my garage into the main part of the house and I can wheel it in carefully using the truck trolley. I'm a good size (nearly the same weight as the cabinet) so as long as I'm careful I should be OK with a little help.

Sack-Truck-Warehouse-Industrial-Hand-Car

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

That makes life easier. Apparently I didn't watch it all the way to the end the first time.

Been so long since I've been in mine, I forgot the multi-tap plugs.

When you get it, be careful moving it. The weird shape and placement of the monitor makes it top heavy with a tendency to fall forward.

Just noticed that you have this cabinet....will take your advice. Thanks!!

Just noticed that you have this cabinet....will take your advice. Thanks!!

For about 20 years now and it's the most awkward and heaviest game I've owned. If you open the coin door and look up, you'll see the neck of the CRT right up by the control panel (which is steel and also heavy) so there is a lot of weight is towards the front. Even the fluorescent lighting is in a hefty wooden structure that pulls out as an assembly and also contains the speaker.

Don't get me wrong, it's not going to just tip over on someone, but if you pull on the top, it doesn't take much to get it moving. With the way kids are, I'm surprised no one got crushed by one back in the day. :)

Anything by Atari is built like a tank. My Missile Command is a small cabinet and it's quite heavy.

I used to own a Crystal Castles and that cabinet had built in wheels which was a great idea. Simply tilt it back like a dolly and move it around. I also think it was the coolest looking cabinet ever made. It was one of those games I loved as a kid, but it got old and boring quick and I ended up selling it. Moon Patrol was another game I was addicted to in the 80s...I could make it through both courses on one quarter. Yet, once I owned one, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. No challenge and little random variety.

Funny thing is, I hated Asteroids and Defender back in the day because a quarter would last me all of 20 seconds. They still kick my ass today and that's why I really like them after decades of ownership. There are no set patterns and I'm just not wired to master them.

You picked a great game which is going to be nothing but fun for years.

• Like 2

I picked this game for several reasons. I really did put some thought into it because it will probably be the only one I ever own for various reasons. (Let alone the difficulty in getting them where I live).

1. I adore Asteroids - so many memories. Though not with the arcade version. The 2600 version holds a massive amount of nostalgia. I had played the arcade version a bit but like you found it too hard. The 2600 version was easier and just more accessible. My brother, I and my cousins clocked up hundreds of hours on it. I also have a 7800 with built in Asteroids and it's the only game I spend any time with on it. I've tried different ports over the years but they don't scratch the itch. They either have silly additions like the PS1 version or are poor emulations like the XBL version. Today the only version I play regularly is the 7800 version which I find highly challenging and enjoyable.

Asteroids , as you say, has no patterns. Right from the 1st wave you are playing a different game. This game has to last years.

Most arcade games can be emulated very well. But vector games need a vector display.

By why Deluxe?

2. Deluxe has finite shields instead of hyperspace - so adding to the skill factor of the game.

3. It rolls over at 1 million , not 100,000 - so gives me a challenge that will last me years - may never manage that!

4. Lurk proof UFO behaviour.

5. Added variety with the killer satellites.

6. Top 3 scores saved after power off.

7. That reflected display looks extremely cool.

I agonised between Asteroids Dx and Tempest but Asteroids is more approachable to family and friends - AND the non pattern play of Asteroids meant it won out in the end. I would really like a Tempest too though :)

Thanks for the info re its weight and balance etc. I will tip it backwards onto my trolley truck when moving it. There is a handle on the top at the back so I suppose that's to facilitate that. Atari thought of everything! :)

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1