IGNORED

COMING SOON : Risky Rick In Dangerous Traps

usar666

Not only that. They made the bgtiles having priority over the sprites is quite impressive. TMS9918A doesn't have the foreground pixel tile pixels have priority over the sprites feature. I'm 85.394% sure of that unless there's a secret graphic mode that allows that.

Thanks a lot , i must admit i'm very proud of this trick ;).That was one of the things i absolutely wanted in the game.That was not trivial to obtain, especially to get a correct game speed (btw NTSC version is the best of both in terms of speed and sound)

Indeed the TMS does not have this feature and no secret mode . All is done by code. I know how they did , but as i'm not sure the author would like i reveal the "secret" , i prefer don't say. But nothing magic. Just a very efficient coding. As i said , the work done in that game is incredible. You can not even imagine that a colecovision was able to do that. or let say that somebody that crazy enough to put so much effort to release a game like that in a "officially" dead console... We are FAR FAR FAR away from the MSX ports for the SGM or SG1000 port .

And the thing even more incredible , is that it is the first attempt to do something on the colecovision by the guys who did that. Until recently they even did not have a real colecovision to test!

Thx Youki, as i can see RR seems to have impressed you a lot, i'm happy about this ;)

In fact, we both owned a Colecovision a bit after the start of the devellopement but mine fried and totO's one had alimentation problems.

In Sydney Hunter I emulated this behavior from Intellivision (where player sank into the sand) reloading dinamically the sprite with 0x00 bytes for the hidden portion of Sydney Hunter.

Remember seeing that when working on RR, the same trick is used too in 'Sydney Hunter & The Caverns of Death' (nicely done game btw) , are you author of this one too ?

As you can see in RR, things are a bit more complex as any arbitrary tile can mask any sprite, the whole rendering engine has been built around that.

That remember me a funny fact : The game fits in a 32KB ROM but the game source (containing code,tools,gfx,scripts,sounds,musics and so on) is exactly 32MB , ratio 1024 =)

Edited by usar666
  • Like 1

Remember seeing that when working on RR, the same trick is used too in 'Sydney Hunter & The Caverns of Death' (nicely done game btw) , are you author of this one too ?

As you can see in RR, things are a bit more complex as any arbitrary tile can mask any sprite, the whole rendering engine has been built around that.

That remember me a funny fact : The game fits in a 32KB ROM but the game source (containing code,tools,gfx,scripts,sounds,musics and so on) is exactly 32MB , ratio 1024 =)

Mine is Sydney Hunter & The Sacred Tribe for Colecovision & MSX, the Caverns of Death games is unfinished and it's by another author.

I don't want an MSX hack for the SGM. I want a version for the colecovision from You!

Even if both versions end up being very similar? There's not a ton of ways to do R-Type on the ColecoVision. The MSX version looks and sounds quite nice to me, and I would definitely publish it on ColecoVision if someone went through the trouble of porting it. But the port would require a lot of effort, so that's why I'm not actively looking for someone to port R-Type.

Even if both versions end up being very similar? There's not a ton of ways to do R-Type on the ColecoVision. The MSX version looks and sounds quite nice to me, and I would definitely publish it on ColecoVision if someone went through the trouble of porting it. But the port would require a lot of effort, so that's why I'm not actively looking for someone to port R-Type.

I totally disagree . i'm sure that a version by the Risky Risk team would be very different than the MSX port and very better. Even if the MSX version is quite good.

The team is already very experienced with R-Type port... They did already a faboulous conversion on another 8bit plateform . It is why i want a version from Them. I know what they are able to do when they want... unfortunately the Colecovision is not their plateform of choice.. (nobody is perfect :) ).

Edited by youki

For sure that would be very difficult to do a Colecovision , i'd say issues are fast RAM and ROM size.Without theses memory limitations , i'd be tempted to use Bob Pape's spectrum version as base.

For sure that would be very difficult to do a Colecovision , i'd say issues are fast RAM and ROM size.Without theses memory limitations , i'd be tempted to use Bob Pape's spectrum version as base.

Rom size is not really an issue, you can use a mega cart with bank switching. With a 128k cartridge you have enough space to do a good R Type :)

RAM size is indeed a challenge for an R-Type but i think you have enough talent to NOT need a SGM. ;)

Not because I'm the author of CoolCV emulator, but with it you can record easily an AVI video that can be uploaded directly to Youtube ;)

Im not a big fan of emulation, but maybe Ill try CoolCV. I like the idea of recording gameplay sessions and then uploading them to Youtube. My Coleco is still a virgin (i.e. unmodded), and Ive been wanting to do an a/v mod to record gameplay for quite some time. This seems like the next best option until I get my console modded.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Don't be afraid , game will be released.Game is ok, cartrige is ok, just some things about the package take more time than excepted, and worst, one of us got a bereavement in his family.

Actually, everything else than package is ok but we are waiting his return to finalize package.

• 2 weeks later...

Where will the game be for sale? AtariAge store or elsewhere? Can we pre order? If so, where?

There is no pre-order for now because we want the game in solid state (fully finalized in all aspects) before selling it.

usar666 what do you use for voice playback?

I did a tool for lo-fi voice encoding used on msx and colecovision

It uses fourier transform sounds converted from AY/YM.Interesting, did you write encoding program yourself ?

Yes the math, the Matlab encoder and the Ay8910 player.

Ah yes, i didn't notice you are artrag, i use already your tool, this is a great thing for machines that owns PSG, thank you a lot that has been very usefull ;)

I didn't have time (i am not very good in math i must say so this is a lot of work and i'm involved in other projets) but one day , i'd like to re-write/adapt a such encoder to allow faster replay (for machines like SMS or CPC)

Edited by usar666

The replayer is on the interrupt and takes very few cycles already. It updates frequencies and volumes on the 3 channels at each interrupt from precomputed rom data. Packing volumes with periods, it needs 6 bytes per fame. That's all.

Edited by artrag