IGNORED

Shipping Dilemma

Humblejack

Hi, anyone who wanted to hear about some of the contents.

There are 18 common boxed games

50 common loose carts: Most labels bad or missing

About 30 - 40 common mauals

About 75 - 100 overlays that I have refurbished (most are common)

The rest of the contents are unique and someone may want or need.

I put items in that are not common and some other very useful items.

The problem is I truely can't justify to the wife paying $82 to ship this box. So I need suggestions. How to make the box worth shipping. I like this concept and enjoyed getting the box. The was only one item in the box I did not have and yes I took it along with 4 other common items that I was running low on. So please don't think I am complaining about the contents, I knew there would not be a lot of items in the box I could use. It was really fun.

Please PM me your suggestions:

HJ

Edited by Humblejack

If it cost that much to ship to Canada, and shipping cost here are double compared to the US, it may be better off do to what Humblejack is suggesting especially if most items are common.. I cant imagine the cost to ship to Europe after.

Lets see what everyone else on the list is thinking..

Cheers

I'm confused and perhaps there's some context missing. You have a box of random gaming items and you're shipping or want to ship it to someone and the shipping price is too high? Have you explained this to your potential buyer? That's a lot of money and it sounds like it's not worth it personally unless there's some expensive or rare games in the lot.

OR is this that thing where people ship boxes of stuff around and people do a gaming version of "leave a penny take a penny" and then ship it to the next person? If so that's the very reason I never participated. The cost of shipping something potentially large and heavy to either find nothing or some low dollar item that is woefully inadequate to justify the price of shipping to the next person. I suppose it's a crap shoot but I'd guess by the very nature of this endeavor that most if not all of the items would be cheaper or common in the first place.

I really don't see how this could cost $82 to ship unless you're overdoing it with the packing materials. Carts by design are sturdy enough that they don't really need protection especially if you don't care about the labels. Try reducing the size of the box which has as much an impact on the cost of shipping than the weight.

The last package that I've shipped from Canada to the US was a PS4 with 12 games, controllers, wires and it cost me around $45Cdn for expedited with $300 insurrance...

I'm confused and perhaps there's some context missing. You have a box of random gaming items and you're shipping or want to ship it to someone and the shipping price is too high? Have you explained this to your potential buyer? That's a lot of money and it sounds like it's not worth it personally unless there's some expensive or rare games in the lot.

OR is this that thing where people ship boxes of stuff around and people do a gaming version of "leave a penny take a penny" and then ship it to the next person? If so that's the very reason I never participated. The cost of shipping something potentially large and heavy to either find nothing or some low dollar item that is woefully inadequate to justify the price of shipping to the next person. I suppose it's a crap shoot but I'd guess by the very nature of this endeavor that most if not all of the items would be cheaper or common in the first place.

It's the second item on your list. It's a grab bag. I am the last guy in the US to get it now it's off to our Northern Cousins (Maybe). Sorry for the confusion.

Your statements hit it on the head.

Ok,

I took out all the common items and the remainder fit into a box 10" X 10" X 11" and weights 5 lb. The shipping cost from USPS.com will be $45.95. Some AA members were gracious enough to put $14 in an envelope to help pay shipping costs (Thank you all very much). So my cost will be about $32. I can live with this but would like input as to the plan with common items. Anyone who wants them when you have the grab bag in your grubby little mitts can request any or all the common items and pay just the shipping cost. (Which in my opinion would be insane, but hey there are a few of you out there in AA, I have seen what you have bid on items, me included).

Please, Please chime in on this matter as it affects all of you on the Grab Bag list down the line.

I also know that not everyone can add rare or uncommon items to the "Bag" in the future to keep it from ballooning up again but as long as the shipping costs are reasonable it should be ok with those who have not yet had the chance.

Thanks,

HJ

This happened with previous grab bags as well. I'd recommend pulling out the heavier/bulkier commons and dealing with those separately (free to those willing to pay shipping - preferably not to resellers or hoarders). I'd keep the manuals and overlays in there though to help folks complement loose games.

• Like 1

Looks like you handled it pretty well, yes shipping a lot of common stuff that mostly likely won't be claimed will just continue to perpetuate the high shipping prices and believe me, as one of those Canadians I'm well aware of the high cost of shipping up here. The real winners in all of this are USPS/Canada Post.

If we were more organized, I'd almost suggest separate grab bags for USA, Canada, and EU.

• Like 1

I was the 7th person to get the box, and it was about the same size and weight back then (wow, that was a long time ago!). And it cost a lot to ship, much more than the value of what I took out of it. Judging by the pictures posted here, the common items look the same as they did more than a year ago. It's a waste to keep mailing that stuff around. In the future, the box should be limited to a fixed size (possibly a large Priority Mail flat rate) and weight.

Because of the heavy postage costs, especially now that the shipping is international, we should think of this as a true grab bag; it should have nice stuff that most people would be happy to receive. It's not supposed to be a white elephant-type box of discards and junk. For that reason, I'd say remove the common stuff taking up space and stacks of routine paperwork that add weight. Keep the less common and more unique items so the participants can feel this project is worth participating in. The contents should be limited to Intellivision stuff. I realize that many people are interested in multiple platforms, but the box has gotten out of hand. General giveaways are always possible for certain items.

Use your best judgement, HJ. Whatever you do will make this better.

Edited by mthompson

Here's an idea: send photos to the next guy, ask him what should be sent and what should be cut out. They'll know ahead of time, ruining the surprise, but they'll know if 1)they want to be on the list (they have to pay for shipping too) and 2)which items they personally don't want to see shipped around. Seeing the things still in the box, I wish I had cut much more out than I did... but I'm glad to see that nothing I put in the box was included in the pics.

Here's an idea: send photos to the next guy, ask him what should be sent and what should be cut out. They'll know ahead of time, ruining the surprise, but they'll know if 1)they want to be on the list (they have to pay for shipping too) and 2)which items they personally don't want to see shipped around. Seeing the things still in the box, I wish I had cut much more out than I did... but I'm glad to see that nothing I put in the box was included in the pics.

But would this deprive the guy after him of some carts that he may have wanted? I understand that the most common games can be removed, but if each person removes unwanted card, for a reason or another, then the next person will have less titles to chose from than the guy before him.

I've just mailed an Amiga 1000, two keyboard, an external floppy drives and all the cables in a 30x22x10" box for a total weight of 11,60Kg Priority mail from Montreal, Qc to WI and it cost me $78Cdn including taxes. I just don't see how this box of cart can cost more than that big and heavy box I just sent. $82US is like $95 to $100Cdn...