IGNORED

Can "sealed" Intellivision shells be re-used?

mjarnold7

They can be recycled. There may be a tool to take them apart, but I'm not aware of one. I sold about 300 games at PRGE that I could could not use for Home Brews because they didn't have screw. I think Sunday they were 5 for a buck. LOL

• Like 1

I've got about 250 bare boards you can make an offer on! More precisely boards without shells. A vast assortment of commons. :-)

Darn! I have 3 games without labels (BurgerTime, Bump n Jump & Maze a Tron) along with boards only Night Stalker & Auto Racing, also 2 Armor Battle overlays, 1 HeMan overlay and 1 Lock n Chase overlay. Anybody want/need these?

• Like 1

I have a Vectron that got melted somehow. I used a hooked scribe to pop out the keepers and the PCB just slides out. I am sure that a little super glue will put it back together. The only problem is that the PCB will not fit in the doored cart version. I may have to alter it to get it to fit one and I don't want to take another no door version and make another orpahn PCB so Vectron can take it's place.

post-36757-0-47159200-1512959379_thumb.jpg

A good question for BBWW and Rev... Is it possible to use any of the 3rd party shells for homebrew games? There are so many Donkey Kong, Pitfall! and Frogger carts on the loose that it'd be nice to recycle some of those into new games. Not to mention what that allows as far as label art is concerned. I'd love to see a Piggy Bank game in a Parker Brothers shell or a Copter Command using a Coleco shell's space for the game title/art.

The Atari Carts were easy to pry apart. I wanted to see if I could use PacManjr and Ms Pacman in an Atari Repro Box. I could we some effort to print the cart label.

Coleco carts were not available in enough quantities to even try and why use Activision when LTO carts look so much like them. But Donkey Kong carts were always big in my "how to get rid of" pile.

I was thinking about all the Donkey Kong carts in particular. I think I see more loose DKs than even Poker & Blackjack.

I just looked at an extra Frogger cart and it looks like they would be difficult to open up much less to re-seal. Parker Brothers has the best looking shell design but I don't think they are very reusable.

I was thinking about all the Donkey Kong carts in particular. I think I see more loose DKs than even Poker & Blackjack.

I just looked at an extra Frogger cart and it looks like they would be difficult to open up much less to re-seal. Parker Brothers has the best looking shell design but I don't think they are very reusable.

More people kept Poker Blackjack. LOL

• Like 1

Yes, make games more expensive for Eric with more printing costs and cart costs. :-) I will switch to "New" carts when I use all my remaining 2500 or so Mattel commons. :-)but this would mean I have to release a game or two....

• Like 4

Yeah I also love the LTO shell design but there is very little room for game producers to make homebrew releases worth while money-wise. So I understand why they would want to exhaust the loose screw cart supply before having to buy new shells. I'm just happy there is an alternative available should the day come where old shells become scarce.

I would like to see a repository made for old game boards and cart labels (whatever few that are able to be removed intact) to be saved. I realize there is no money in that but hate to see even "unwanted" games just get tossed. I'd even volunteer to store such a supply if it came to it.

And especially old boxes! These were the first thing to get tossed back in the day making the box the hardest item to find to make any game CIB again. Besides my actual collection, my hobby is finding empty boxes and hunting down the parts needed to restore games back to CIB. I generally just give them away to new collectors but occasionally find items that are in better condition than what I have in my own collection so it's a win-win.

Edited by the1hatman

Yeah I also love the LTO shell design but there is very little room for game producers to make homebrew releases worth while money-wise. So I understand why they would want to exhaust the loose screw cart supply before having to buy new shells. I'm just happy there is an alternative available should the day come where old shells become scarce.

I would like to see a repository made for old game boards and cart labels (whatever few that are able to be removed intact) to be saved. I realize there is no money in that but hate to see even "unwanted" games just get tossed. I'd even volunteer to store such a supply if it came to it.

And especially old boxes! These were the first thing to get tossed back in the day making the box the hardest item to find to make any game CIB again. Besides my actual collection, my hobby is finding empty boxes and hunting down the parts needed to restore games back to CIB. I generally just give them away to new collectors but occasionally find items that are in better condition than what I have in my own collection so it's a win-win.

I'll send you as many cartless boards as you want. You pay shipping. :=)

They can be recycled. There may be a tool to take them apart, but I'm not aware of one. I sold about 300 games at PRGE that I could could not use for Home Brews because they didn't have screw. I think Sunday they were 5 for a buck. LOL

i will have to take one of these sealed games apart. I have everything i need to properly disassemble one so i can find the best way to disassemble them so you guys can reuse them.
  • Like 2

You been taking apart "Basketball" carts again?

nope. I havent gotten anymore of them. Anyhow i tested several tools and methods for opening the sealed carts and found the best one. The backs are super glued on the sides and posts.

This is the plastic spudger you want to use. I can send you several if you need them.

post-30773-0-76735900-1513111792_thumb.jpeg

The bottom side has tabs so stick the spudger in the top side.

post-30773-0-87757400-1513111930_thumb.jpeg

Now push down the back of the spudger making the back cover bow a little. Then shove the spudger in farther.

post-30773-0-68814700-1513112060_thumb.jpeg

Now that the spudger is in between the 2 post put more pressure down on the back of the spudger until the back pops off. Now you can see they super glued part of the sides and the posts.

post-30773-0-50902400-1513112410_thumb.jpeg

You can now replace the boards and put the backs back on. However, due to the original super glue you need to put the backs on the cart shells they came from.

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 3

nope. I havent gotten anymore of them. Anyhow i tested several tools and methods for opening the sealed carts and found the best one. The backs are super glued on the sides and posts.

This is the plastic spudger you want to use. I can send you several if you need them.

attachicon.gif377EE9F5-E96E-4065-AFF6-1914A9D1A918.jpeg

The bottom side has tabs so stick the spudger in the top side.

attachicon.gif60830133-4C4A-4C99-AA25-43192452D1AA.jpeg

Now push down the back of the spudger making the back cover bow a little. Then shove the spudger in farther.

attachicon.gifC0CE1421-2954-4124-9CFB-490C01ACB8E5.jpeg

Now that the spudger is in between the 2 post put more pressure down on the back of the spudger until the back pops off. Now you can see they super glued part of the sides and the posts.

attachicon.gifFE760C1B-D8BC-4E5E-970A-0425B671ABD0.jpeg

You can now replace the boards and put the backs back on. However, due to the original super glue you need to put the backs on the cart shells they came from.

Have you tried using a hair dryer to soften up the glue, or sticking them in Goo B Gone for awhile?