IGNORED

Uwol: The Quest for Money

marss

D

Do you mean that V2 runs fine?

It is considerably better than the first download, seems that there is still a bit of slow down that is affecting the audio though. I am just interested in what could be changed so quickly in the Remover's library to fix the graphics issues. When I have ran into similar issues like this in the removers library it had to do with how many sprites were being rendering per scan line, and the only ways I know of fixing this is by reducing the amount of sprites being rendered, or reducing your color depth of the sprites.

I'm just the graphic guy and know nothing about coding ;( so I can not explain the problems (maybe the slowdown is due to a mixing of 8bits and 16bits sprites and CLUT). By chance the game runs fine with VJ ;) Any help is welcome to solve the problem and improve the game as i would like it to be extended with more things onscreen and more sounds ;)

Gave it a 5-minute spin and will definitely go back. The intro was cool with the cow and the game plays well. Makes me think of an NES game on steroids (that's not to be taken as offense, at all) and the music rocks, though the sample rate seems to be really low, assumingly so you could fit in all the different tracks on cart.

post-985-0-00101500-1513062595.jpg

post-985-0-24968700-1513062662.jpg

post-985-0-90830200-1513062582.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Very nice! Lots of fun!

I noticed the sound only comes out of the right side channel, not sure if you are aware of that?

Yep, I have made mono raw sound to save some space. I need to create and add mod file but didn't find time yet.

Curious. What did you change so quickly to fix the graphic issues?

It is considerably better than the first download, seems that there is still a bit of slow down that is affecting the audio though. I am just interested in what could be changed so quickly in the Remover's library to fix the graphics issues. When I have ran into similar issues like this in the removers library it had to do with how many sprites were being rendering per scan line, and the only ways I know of fixing this is by reducing the amount of sprites being rendered, or reducing your color depth of the sprites.

I've an "old" version only with 8-bits graphx, so I had just change the gameplay engine. The issue come only when I mix between 16-bits and 8-bits sprites.

I see two potential reason for this but need to make more test : I need to add 16-bits sprite before 8-bits sprites in the sprite list. I can't use different color depth sprites on the same drawing depth/plan. i'm really not sure, i need to test and test again.

You'll need to use branch objects and/or cull unused sprites if you want to fix the tearing.

Yep, I'll try using branch. On this demo, I recreate the full sprite liste every new screen to be sure I didn't keep old sprites. I had this tearing at the beginning of my dev because I had keeping sprite for another screen. Now I have only necessary sprites.
I am sure of that because the two versions use the same engine except the color depth. But I could make a mistake, it will not be the first time :-D

• Like 4

impressed ;-)

what tech did you use? some libs, api?

awesome job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, I use the removers library. It's a C lib. http://removers.free.fr/softs/download.php?lang=fr

Gave it a 5-minute spin and will definitely go back. The intro was cool with the cow and the game plays well. Makes me think of an NES game on steroids (that's not to be taken as offense, at all) and the music rocks, though the sample rate seems to be really low, assumingly so you could fit in all the different tracks on cart.

Yep, it's 8 bits game but I love 8-bits computer game :-D

Yep, I have made mono raw sound to save some space. I need to create and add mod file but didn't find time yet.

If you drop in the U235-SE (http://www.u-235.co.uk/se) it will handle mod playback and sample playback and lives on the DSP, may hopefully free up some more CPU cycles elsewhere for you.

Looking good, I'll be giving it a play when my jag is set up again :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply tonma! This is info is helpful.

We had a few people stop by the office yesterday, and one thing I noticed was how easy it was for people to pick up and start playing, but the game was just difficult enough to keep it interesting. Everyone generally enjoyed playing. Good work!

One piece of feedback I would have is when there are two blocks separated by an empty space, it seems you need to be almost pixel perfect in the center between those two blocks, in order to jump between them. Is there anyway to program a routine that if the player jumps, and they aren't quite perfectly centered, they are pushed by the program towards the center a few pixels, to increase the chances of making a successful jump up, instead of hitting the blocks above them? My feeling is that the collision boxes feel a bit unforgiving. (This is a bit ironic coming from the guy who made Flappy McFur...)

• Like 1

Well it appears I updated VJ sometime in the last few months and as a result...my controls no longer work. So I'm unable to even get the game to start in VJ. Going through the control setup and remapping them seems to have no actual effect although they report properly. I seem to recall having this issue sometime back and it required me to modify a file or something? However, in looking in the folder where VJ is located, there aren't any other files..just the exe. So...how does one actually get keyboard controls to map properly for this emu?