IGNORED

New game released: Skool Daze

mariuszw

General information

The classic SkoolDaze game is finally available for your Atari!

In the role of our hero, Eric (or any other name you decide to call him and the rest of the cast), you know that inside the staffroom safe are kept the school reports. And, being Eric, you realise that you must at all costs remove your report before it comes to the attention of the Headmaster.

Instructions

The combination to the safe consists of four letters, each master knowing one letter and the Headmaster's letter always coming first. To get hold of the combination, you first have to hit all the shields hanging on the school walls. Trouble is, this isn't as easy as it looks. Some of them can be hit by jumping up. Others are more difficult. You could try and hit a shield by bouncing a pellet off a master's head whilst he is sitting on the ground. Or, being Eric, you may decide to knock over one of the boys and, whilst he's flattened, clamber up on him so that you can jump higher.

OK. So all the shields are upside-down, disorienting the poor masters. Knock them over now and, before they can stop themselves, they'll reveal their letter of the code. All except for the history master, of course, who because of his great age and poor eyesight can't be trusted to remember. His letter has been implanted into his mind hypnotically. To make him reveal it, you must find out the year he was born (which, in case you were wondering, changes each game). Then, creep into a room before he gets there and, if the board is clean, write it on the blackboard. When he goes into that room and sees his birthdate he will, as if by post-hypnotic suggestion, give away his letter.

Now that you know all the letters of the combination, all you have to do is work out which order they go in. You know that the Headmaster's letter is always first, but as for the other three ... you'll just have to try the various possibilities. Find a clean blackboard and write out a combination.

Rush back to the staffroom and jump up to reach the safe with your hand. If nothing happens, then the combination must be wrong, so you'd better find another clean blackboard and try a different one.

With the safe open, your troubles still aren't over, as the upside-down shields are rather a giveaway. You now have to hit all of them again.

Done it? Congratulations! You are now allowed, along with all your friends, to move on to the next class at school. But remember, there will be reports at the end of this term.....

Skool Rules

• Boys shall attend lessons as shown in the timetable at the bottom of the screen. (Remember that because you cheated in the exams last year, you always go to the same lessons as the swot.)
  • Boys do not score points by attending lessons, but may be given lines if caught in the wrong place.
  • Boys who acquire over 10,000 lines shall be expelled immediately from the school.
  • Boys are not allowed to enter the staffroom or the Headmaster's study. Take care.
  • At playtime, boys are supposed to be playing and not in any of the classrooms.
  • Boys shall not hit their schoolmates.
  • Boys shall not fire catapults.
  • Boys are expected to walk quietly in the corridors, they are not for running or sitting in.
  • School dinners are compulsory.
  • Boys will be neat and polite at all times.

The Keys

• Joystick: move
  • S: sit/stand
  • H: hit
  • W: write (on blackboard)
  • J/L: jump
  • F (or Fire): fire catapult
  • ESC: restart game

Scoring

• Hitting the shields
  • score depends on difficulty
  • Hitting all 15 shields
  • scores a bonus
  • Opening the safe after getting the combination
  • scores a bonus
  • Hitting the shields after opening the safe
  • score depends on difficulty
  • Lines given to the swot or bully
  • their lines add to your score
  • Hitting the bully by punching him or with a catapult
  • if you dare!

Game description taken from Oric port of Skool Daze: http://www.defence-force.org/index.php?page=games&game=skooldaze

Credits for Atari version:

Code: Mariusz Wojcieszek

Graphics: Jose Pereira

Game is ported from C64. Background graphics are taken from ZX Spectrum version. Game requires 64KB of RAM. Game supports both PAL and NTSC systems. Game runs on CPU accelerators.

Enjoy!

post-42656-0-96739400-1513110151.pngpost-42656-0-13668300-1513110159.png

post-42656-0-77326100-1513110163.pngpost-42656-0-41135000-1513110170.png

sd.atr

sd.xex

Edited by mariuszw
  • Like 30

I am also releasing source code for the game.

Game is built upon binary image of C64 version, with I/O, screen and sound routines patched with their Atari counterparts.

Code features small library to handle PMG overlays for the screens. Each PMG overlay is built from:

• PMG data in RLE compressed form
  • table of scanlines where DLIs occur
  • table of initial values for GTIA registers (applied during vblank)
  • tokenized DLI interrupts, with code dynamically built at runtime

There is a function which applies NTSC colour fixes. I've also prepared a function which can erase arbitrary rectangle of PMG, which is used when speech bubbles are prepared.

Sounds and musics are ported directly from C64, with frequency values recomputed, and basic envelope emulation.

The game attempts to run at 50Hz speed, as Spectrum original. C64 version was limited to 25Hz.

For the details about how to build the code see readme.txt in the archive.

Mariusz.

SkoolDazeSourceCode.zip

• Like 10

The stairs on the right still don't look like on the screenshot.

That you're refering is maybe the middle floor top stair that doesn'r exist but also on the others versions and also not on the right side.

To be correct we should created a new gfxs, something like a 1/2 or 2/3 of a stair (at least you can see that there's the grays PMGs ;) :grin:):

post-6517-0-91831000-1513123914.pngpost-6517-0-74872100-1513123934.png

Isn't this you're refering to?

Edited by José Pereira

Get what you're refering that is on the middle floor the pixels on the stairs:

post-6517-0-07376800-1513123412.png

The reason is that I made the PMGs stuff from the C64 version that hasn't these pixels on the left sides diagonal walls and here that is only on the ZX version.

It was Mariusz that directly imported and added it in code (I copied from emulator theses diagonals pixelated but missed this one :().

EDITED: Added this so ow the map is correct.

Edited by José Pereira

In game...

I agree with the window change, the tippy-top stairs do need a fix, the middle right stairs have a doubled stair at the bottom...

only other change is optional... putting a landing step with just diagonal stripe in front of last steps (not whole checker or stair just a flat)... that would be interesting not sure how it will look but could be nice

Edited by _The Doctor__

Pixels chairs on the right hadn't all their space filled, sorry.

Because of the reason I already said:

The reason is that I made the PMGs stuff from the C64 version that hasn't these pixels on the left sides diagonal walls and here that is only on the ZX version.

It was Mariusz that directly imported and added it in code (I copied from emulator theses diagonals pixelated but missed this one :().

Here's now what I think is the real you see while playing the game:

post-6517-0-67043300-1513128571.png

:P

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 2

I was expecting a "game over". But I reached past 11K lines and nothing happened.

skool.png

- Y -

When I played it some times to see for bugs I think that is around 10500 but some times I went to more than 11000 like you that I got game over.

That description is from Oric version so maybe original(s) ZX and C64 can have other (and is the C64 code that Mariusz used).

Edited by José Pereira

:?

:twisted:

Got the way it works for Game Over:

-> We can get whatever lines (even hundreds or thousands :grin:...) that we don't get game Over:

post-6517-0-69550400-1513136268.png

-> We only get game Over is when we're near the HeadMaster that is the only of the teachers that will write/post the balloon (so we can still walk around and add more and more lines that the current game never ends):

post-6517-0-75791500-1513136387.png

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

So more than 10,000 lines and the head master can expel you, how long can you avoid the head master can be a game in and of itself

Forever or maybe not, just don't be near him. Still don't know if we have more than 10000lines he will going after us but on that screen he was at the top leftest room (the blueish one) and he went down when I had more than 10000.

Me and all we can still play many times to see if it was a casuality or not...

Edited by José Pereira

hit escape key while laying down, Crash the game...

During playing game in whatever situation pressing ESC returns you to the first, the title/credits screen.

Also when entering names you can just enter Eric's name or more but you don't need to change all (enter wich you want and pressing RETURN RETURN for wich to not change). If at any time you're already happy pressing ESC and it returns to title/credits page and the names you entered are in the game while the ones not changed still remain.

Edited by José Pereira