IGNORED

I've never seen one of these before...

labels

Though it was homemade at first, but looking closer, the control panel looks old. It's certainly large enough! would look at home next to a Hercules pinball machine. lol

And what's "Free Atari" supposed to mean? They giving the thing away or do they mean 'free to play' Atari while your parents shop?

• Like 1

It's a Sears Video Game Selection Center:
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-video-game-selection-center_20633.html

Made by Frank Mayer & Associates in 1982 for Sears.

Some overages were given to employees and Sears also got rid of the publicly played units.

Few of these were ever made.

Quite rare indeed.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 3

And what's "Free Atari" supposed to mean? They giving the thing away or do they mean 'free to play' Atari while your parents shop?

Free to play, there appears to be a working multi-game setup of some sort.

Free to take home, there appears to be a stack of cartridges you can exchange. Like I said in post #2.

I'm guessing this is like those roadside boxes or mini-receptacles where you can trade and exchange books. Put one, take one. How nice!

Does not look like they're giving the monster-sized kiosk itself away. If they were, the sign indicating "free" would be affixed to the unit and be more verbose as to the purpose. Since there are cartridges piled up, but no indication of what to do with them, it is understood to be give-one / take-one proposition.

• Like 1

Wow... I'm assuming they don't know that's worth some money. Wonder how long before a local AAer goes running to that store with some cash. (Paging BassGuitari...)

You rang? :P

:lol: I'm sure wealthier people than me have tried, although not likely anybody living immediately nearby. It's a pretty bohemian neighborhood--mainly students, "artistes," hipsters, aging hippies, professors, homeless, and people who ride bicycles everywhere.

I want to say they used to have a 2600 console rather than the Game Center, though (which would explain all the carts). Haven't been in there in years.

I believe these Game Center units were actually manufactured in Grafton, Wisconsin (basically a suburb of Milwaukee), which is why a high proportion of them seem to turn up in WI and Chicagoland.

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 3

You rang? :P

:lol: I'm sure wealthier people than me have tried, although not likely anybody living immediately nearby. It's a pretty bohemian neighborhood--mainly students, "artistes," hipsters, aging hippies, professors, homeless, and people who ride bicycles everywhere.

I want to say they used to have a 2600 console rather than the Game Center, though (which would explain all the carts). Haven't been in there in years.

I believe these Game Center units were actually manufactured in Grafton, Wisconsin (basically a suburb of Milwaukee), which is why a high proportion of them seem to turn up in WI and Chicagoland.

I thought of offering you money to try and broker it for me, but no, I really don't need that. That item would really irritate the wife considering the already packed basement o' stuff. :)

But seeing it in a store where anyone can play(break) it is pretty astounding.

I thought of offering you money to try and broker it for me, but no, I really don't need that. That item would really irritate the wife considering the already packed basement o' stuff. :)

But seeing it in a store where anyone can play(break) it is pretty astounding.

The setup used to use a junior, I believe. Someone posted a thread about it on the site and I believe a different member from here read about it and sent them the current unit on display.

I've been there before and if the picture posted is current, it is the same set of games on display as they had there years ago.

If you scan through those yelp photos, you're correct.

That entire place looks beyond cool and wish it were closer to me. If I'm ever in that area, I'll go out of my way to have lunch there.

o.jpg