IGNORED

I/O Error 00

AwkwardPotato

I finally went and bought myself a PEB, listed as untested, and complete with RS-232, Disk Controller, and 32K cards. And as seems to be usual with untested systems, it doesn't work. (at least not entirely)

I typed in the following program listed in the Disk Memory System manual, in order to test the drive:

100 OPEN #1:"DSK1.X"
110 CLOSE #1

The LED on the controller lit up for a fraction of a second, but the drive itself was lifeless, with me getting an I/O ERROR 00. The manual, however, says that I should normally get an I/O ERROR 06, and that 00 means that the drive could not be found.

For what it's worth, the drive spins up when the PEB is first powered on, and the LED on the drive lights up when shutting it off.

Where should I start with troubleshooting this?

(BTW, I thought that members here were exaggerating about how loud the PEB's fan is; turns out it really is that loud :lol: )

Do you have the original full height floppy drive, or does it have perhaps dual 1/2 height floppy drives?

I ask because if it is the original drive, then likely nothing has ever changed on the cabling and it would be just a matter of making sure the cable was good and plugged in to both the drive and card. Pictures may be helpful just so we can visually see in the PEBox as well as see the drive.

If it is 1/2 height drives, then it could be an issue of a dip setting not right on the drive or something like using a PC twisted drive cable which is not what you want to use for the TI system.

• Like 1

The bad thing is that different disk controller may deliver different error codes. For instance, when no disk is inserted, the OPEN command yields a I/O ERROR 06 with the standard TI FDC, while it returns an I/O ERROR 02 with the HFDC.

What controller are you using?

I'm using the original TI PHP1240 card.

I actually don't own any TI formatted disks, and I'm unable to format any as I'm still waiting on my copy of Disk Manager, so I'm using blank DSDD disks.

I assumed that the disks themselves wouldn't be an issue as the manual says that the two lines should work even without one.

Edited by AwkwardPotato

did you do DSK1 or dsk1

all caps for devices

the error 00 is open-disk drive specified can not be found..

manual is here: ftp://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets%20and%20manuals/Hardware/Texas%20Instruments/PHP1800%20Disk%20Drive%20Controller/Disk_Memory_System.pdf

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

Considering the age of the everything including the drive, cable, unknown storage method and possibly getting knocked around in transit...

Oxidation may have built up over time on the drives contacts, preventing proper data transmission. Cleaning the contacts on the drive, and the connector could be a possible first starting point.

Have you opened up the P-Box to inspect the drive? It's possible that the connector is only partially connected/seated I've actually experienced this one once. Back in the 80's a guy was having issues with a used box he purchased. It turned out the seller in his haste to re-install the original drive, didn't fully seat the connector.

Of course there could be other issues which make the controller think the drive is missing, like the controller itself being defective, but I'd fully inspect the cabling and related issues first. I've found most problems turn out to be grounding and connection issues.

Are you getting a floppy disk version of a disk manager, or are you getting the module "Disk Manager". If the module, then I would just wait and not worry at this point other than checking contacts and making sure the cables are connected properly.

If you are getting a floppy disk version of a disk manager, realize you will need either the modules Extended Basic or Editor/Assembler. If Extended Basic, hope whoever is sending you the disk has a loader for Extended Basic on the diskette with an autoload that will load the diskette version of whatever disk manager you are getting.

Beery

Well, I've cleaned all the connectors between the console and the disk drive -- mainboard, speech synthesizer, flex cable foot, flex cable interface, PEB backplane, disk controller, and disk drive.

Unfortunately, it still returns the same error.

Between the flex cable assembly (foot, interface card, and the cable itself), the disk controller, and the drive, which is most likely to be the issue?

It's the original single full-height drive, and I've tried with both diskette and no diskette, but to no avail.

Having resurrected two PEB with original PHP1250 drives, I found on both that the previous owners had taken out, never had the correct termination pack installed in the drive, or like Omega alluded to had the drive non-terminated (configured in a multi-configuration). They had wire jumpers and or 1/2w resistors fitted (and not reliably) where it should have been a https://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-100-MDP1403-151G-14-PIN-DIP-150-Ohm-2-ISOLATED-RESISTOR-NETWORKS/121446236186 or comparable. Nothing unique about them, just a SIP resistor network in a DIP package.

post-48993-0-11496900-1513322854_thumb.jpg

Edited by helocast
  • Like 2

Well, I did some probing on the controller card, and I found this:

- Disk Select 1 comes from an 8-Bit Addressable Latch (74LS259, U23)

- The Clear, Enable, Data, and Address lines to the 74LS259 seem to work, but Disk Select 1 (Pin 9) never goes up

Does this mean it's likely U23 that's bad, or is there probably something else going on?

Edited by AwkwardPotato

Well, I did some probing on the controller card, and I found this:

- Disk Select 1 comes from an 8-Bit Addressable Latch (74LS259, U23)

- The Clear, Enable, Data, and Address lines to the 74LS259 seem to work, but Disk Select 1 (Pin 9) never goes up

Does this mean it's likely U23 that's bad, or is there probably something else going on?

Do the Disk Select 2 and 3 lines (pins 10 and 11) go active if you try to select those drives?

• 2 weeks later...

Pins 10 and 11 did go active when selected.

I finally got a bit of time to work on the TI, and started messing with the card. I replaced the 74LS259 with a socket, and hardwired Pin 9 to +5V. I also lifted Pin 32 of the FD1771, and hardwired Pin 32 of the socket to +5V. This caused the Drive Select 1 to always be active. When powering up the PEB, the light comes on, and when powering up the console the head in the drive knocks several times. However, when attempting to access the drive in either Disk Manager or TI Basic, it still returns error 00.

Edited by AwkwardPotato

Pins 10 and 11 did go active when selected.

I finally got a bit of time to work on the TI, and started messing with the card. I replaced the 74LS259 with a socket, and hardwired Pin 9 to +5V. I also lifted Pin 32 of the FD1771, and hardwired Pin 32 of the socket to +5V. This caused the Drive Select 1 to always be active. When powering up the PEB, the light comes on, and when powering up the console the head in the drive knocks several times. However, when attempting to access the drive in either Disk Manager or TI Basic, it still returns error 00.

With the new 74LS259, does Disk Select 1 (pin 9) work properly when you try to access the drive (with no hardwiring)? If yes, does that signal also make it through to the floppy connector?