IGNORED

Beta testers wanted for NTSC Dimo's Quest & Dimo's Dungeon

8Bitjunkie

no If I remember correctly, you have the switches set and go to the right... then you can continue on, coming back from under neath to get the goodies.. the ladder piece probably needs to be removed... or some other creature of death installed in that block below dimo

Edited by _The Doctor__

I think I found a bug on level 6. You can't move down even one square below Dimo in the following screen shot without falling to your death.

No, in that case, it behaves correctly:

​If Dimo steps one level down, he "stands" on a down arrow sign (without a top plate), so he has to follow the arrow...

and then, he falls 2 level, which is too much for our little hero...

post-38160-0-73168700-1519229173.png

so my saying no is correct and you intended for the attention to detail to be that great, a suggestion to make it more visible by removing a ladder rung or placing a death creature there is rejected.

I can respect that, but I think it was a burden for those with poorer eyesight.

so my saying no is correct and you intended for the attention to detail to be that great, a suggestion to make it more visible by removing a ladder rung or placing a death creature there is rejected.

I can respect that, but I think it was a burden for those with poorer eyesight.

oh, my answer was only to bfollett regardiing it "a programming bug" -. i did not seen your suggestion about changing the level design at that time.

i will pass that to the level creator ;-)

Edited by 8Bitjunkie

just ever so slight a change to make it more noticeable.. I noticed it right away and went to the right... but on a blurry eye day or when overly tired/stressed, I'm sure I'd of missed it too... :)

what do others think? leave it or ask it be modified?

Please mind: The game already was released in PAL regions. ;-)

Please mind: The game already was released in PAL regions. ;-)

Yes, but we PAL-Atarians can play the NTSC version also (while the NTSC-Atarians cannot play the PAL version on their computers). And if the NTSC version is easier (and slower on my PAL Atari), I would not mind.

Yes, you are correct, best to leave it as is...

to be sure, I played them on NTSC while they were made/released, and for the most part, there were only a couple places where it got messed up, when there were a few too many line or items on the screen.. that's one of the reasons I felt certain it could be converted without a total re write or someone one pulling all their hair out.. :) The music playing faster at that time wasn't even a concern... It made things feel fast and frantic. I think that's why I was one of the only people to make it through the walls that drop closed and open, I had some experience doing it already. But it was a bit tough for all concerned and it got adjusted, not nearly as challenging but more faithful to pal timing as NTSC's 60 hz speeds everything up very fast..

I really enjoy Dimo

Edited by _The Doctor__

To me, going one square down looks like you would still be holding onto (climbing) the ladder. 2 steps down is when I'd expect to be influenced by the down arrow when you actually step on it. At least when you approach the arrows from other directions you are not pushed/sucked through them until you step on them. Also I would have expected to just continue climbing down the ladder after passing the down arrow. If you must fall there, I'd remove the ladder rungs below the down arrow, so the fall isn't unexpected.

Bob

• 3 months later...

Hey,

i would like to put the two games to a public beta. So here they are:

Dimos' Quest NTSC (beta version 02) attachicon.gifDimosQuestNTSC02.atr

Dimo's Dungeon (beta version 06) attachicon.gifDimosDungeonNTSC06.atr

​maybe there are stil a few bugs to find... ;-)

Found an easy bug (which was also in the PAL version, before you fixed it):

- in Dimo's Dungeon NTSC, when you reach the title screen / title picture: a) press fire button and it continues loading or b) press Start and it continues loading

- in Dimo's Quest NTSC, when you reach the title screen / title picture: a) press fire button and it continues loading, b) press Start and it crashes (you see a brown stripe in the middle of the screen and nothing more happens)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Found an easy bug (which was also in the PAL version, before you fixed it):

- in Dimo's Dungeon NTSC, when you reach the title screen / title picture: a) press fire button and it continues loading or b) press Start and it continues loading

- in Dimo's Quest NTSC, when you reach the title screen / title picture: a) press fire button and it continues loading, b) press Start and it crashes (you see a brown stripe in the middle of the screen and nothing more happens)...

Thanks for finding that bug - i will fix it.. :-)

Edited by 8Bitjunkie

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

After all these months I got a chance to try this out. I loaded it up in my new SDrive Max! 

Dimo's Quest plays fine until I clear level 3, then it crashes. Dim's Dungeon crashed after the fist level. Tried this on my Atari 400 and 130xe with same problem.  Strange, so far no other games have crashed like this... Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by electrohaze

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:57 AM, firebottle said:

Did either of these ever get a final NTSC release?

Uhh, well, as far as i know:
Dimo's Dungon public beta is final.
Dimo's Quest public beta is yet to be fully tested, but it Looks not too bad...

I think, we could finalize this at fujiama meeting (last week of august)

(and maybe, just maybe, there well be another new story of Dimo be told)

• Like 4