IGNORED

Kangaroo

Jinks

I guess the game sucks so bad no one plays it.

As a kid I thought it was supposed to be up there with pole position, ms pac man, donkey kong.. wow was I wrong.

Guessing you were drunk or something when trying to play it last night ('specially since you didn't think of YouTube)... as the main goal seems pretty obvious.

Kangaroo *is* a great DK type platformer and the 2600 version is no exception. This game was incredible when it first came out. Right amount of challenge too, with the tricky jumps and pesky monkeys throwing apples at you. Always thought the levels were well crafted and consider it one of the best platformers on the VCS. :love:

BTW: the capture on that YT vid above sucks. So much flicker, with characters literally disappearing for seconds off screen. Wrong colors too. Looks like a PAL game being played on an NTSC screen. :(

• Like 3

I like the game. Its just a dk knock off. Punch monkeys, eat berries, avoid "poo" (monkeys throw poo right :D ) as for reaching the top, all I recall is simply climbing the ladder. It plays a diddy and goes to the next level, I don't recall having to do anything other than reaching the top though.

Jump to ring the bell. After a short delay, more fruit will appear. You can ring the bell for more fruit 2 or three times.

Collecting all of the available fruit before ascending the end stage ladder without the bonus timer running out can be a good challenge.

Unlike Donkey Kong, there is actually a reason to go back down(more fruit.)

The monkeys are throwing apples in the arcade version.

The trick with the "dot" is to pass under it and make it descend just before you reach a ladder, so that it will be falling down the screen at the same time you are traveling up(or down.) If the dot is off the screen when you reach a ladder, back off a bit and wait for it to appear before you proceed so it will not be taking you by surprise.

Basically, you need to split your concentration between monitoring the dot's position, and watching for thrown apples so that you can duck or jump as appropriate. It's rarely necessary to punch the monkeys. Until you've mastered the other aspects of the game, ignore the monkeys themselves, and just be aware of the thrown apples.

--edit-- Note that you do need to punch monkeys later on IIRC, just not often on the first screen.

Edited by fluxit

Just noted there's already a video in this tread.

So making my post useful I put a link to thread with a kangaroo rom that allows two buttons with a genesis controller: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/158430-rom-hacks-to-support-2-buttons-with-genesis-controllers/?hl=%2Bkangaroo+%2Bhack+%2Bbutton

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision
  • Like 2

Was the screen where you punch the stack of monkeys out from under the cage removed? I could have sworn I saw it in the 2600 version before.

-Yeah, it was removed-ninja'd-. I thought I remembered it as well.

Here's the third and final screen before repeating with increased speed. They did make it quite convoluted, though most of the jumps are easier than the second screen.

post-47453-0-44650700-1513620284_thumb.jpg

So making my post useful I put a link to thread with a kangaroo rom that allows two buttons with a genesis controller: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/158430-rom-hacks-to-support-2-buttons-with-genesis-controllers/?hl=%2Bkangaroo+%2Bhack+%2Bbutton

This version really helped me enjoy the game more, but the platforming really is VERY picky.

Loved Kangaroo in the arcade, even though I only passed level 3 once. Guess I am a glutton for punishment. Even remember the last place that had it, was in a movie theater lobby when I was a teenager.

Never knew there was a 2600 version back in the day, if I had I probably would have begged for it for Christmas/Birthdays.