IGNORED

New Jaguar Purchase

metzger130

Went to a local store and asked if they would be willing to give me a deal on the Jag/Jag CD, they agreed to take 100 off of the total price so I went for it, should have enough money to cover it by end of next month. lol I am getting Tempest 2k and Iron Soldier from my fiance for Christmas so I have games for it. I do not however have any CD games. Can someone tell me a game that would be good for me to burn to make sure the CD unit works? I know you should buy the games, but none are around here and I only have a limited time to make sure it works. They said if something doesn't work that I could return it, but I hope I don't have to. Also is there anything I can get so that I don't have to use RF for output for this thing?

Thank you!

Edited by metzger130

You can get an AV cable with the typical rca jacks on ebay or other websites. It's definitely worth the price compared to the awful rf cable. The jag cd library is tiny so there's only a handful of back in the day released games that you can possible try, no copy protection so a CDr is fine. Hoverstrike and Battlemorph are probably two of the higher quality retail releases for the cd.

The CD units can be a little.. um, iffy. So if you have any pressed CDs (Audio) then I'd recommend testing it with that so you know it's mostly happy. Burning discs has taken some a bit of trial and error at times, so if they don't boot, don't assume it is a bad unit it may just not have burnt the disc correctly (Thanks to Atari's wacky choice in formats).

Don't forget they will also play CD+G discs! So if you have any of those nows your chance to give that a whirl, or there are loads of sing along discs on the net too.

• Like 3

Don't have any original CD's as none were available for sale around here, so I burned a game and you can see what happens. This an issue with the drive or my burn?

https://www.facebook.com/20923623/videos/10105269004205340/?l=399514507925545576

If this can't be viewed, let me know, not sure how to show video here.

Edited by metzger130

Generally if the Jag CD doesn't work, CD's won't load or you'll get the RSOD due to connection errors. Try burning something else, there are plenty of free games out there to burn. As for burning method, there are threads out there on that, I haven't done so so I'm not sure if the Jag CD has issues with certain brands/quality of CDRs. But I'd say your CD is working correctly.

Here's a weird one, to me at least. I burned world tour racing and it came up as an audio cd. Ran jagtopia first, then put the burnt cd in and it worked perfectly. something wrong with the burned copy that the jaguar thinks it's an audio cd if I don't use jagtopia?

The Jag CD 'protection' scans the disk for checksums - which is the big cause of boot failures. Jagtopia bypasses this and just boots the binary.