IGNORED

WTB: Commodore 64 hookups

Tpapp54321

Just got a Commodore 64 but despite the seller saying that he had tested it, it came with no power supply or video cables. So now Im looking for both of these and possibly also looking to purchase a manual if anyone has one of those too. Despite all that, it came boxed and the computer itself looks like its never been touched but Im curious, was $40 overpriced for what I got? Also Im looking for a disc drive or datacassette now so I can possibly run some programs on this thing! :)

Thanks,

-Tom

Edited by Tpapp54321

After some research online it looks like

1. PSUs are unreliable

2. New PSUs are expensive

So Ive decided that I will just make my own from two wall warts. After digging through some drawers I found an old RadioShack 9v 350ma adapter and I think I might have a 5v around as well. However, Im curious as to whether the amperage from the 9v is sufficient enough/ too much for the commodore?

Also Im still looking for a datasette drive in decent condition.

1. PSUs are unreliable

So Ive decided that I will just make my own from two wall warts. After digging through some drawers I found an old RadioShack 9v 350ma adapter and I think I might have a 5v around as well. However, Im curious as to whether the amperage from the 9v is sufficient enough/ too much for the commodore?

You need about 1.5A for a C64

Tpapp54321, on 18 Dec 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

1. PSUs are unreliable

350mA isn't enough like AMenard said. You need at least 1amp and -9vac.

Believe it or not some snes and nes power supplies are just that. How do I know? That's what I use for my C64.

Also for 5v you should have 2 amps or more and those can be found powering dlink and Linksys routers so if you have

an old one kicking around or know of some in some thrift store or electronics recycle place then go get it.

Also some cell phone chargers are 2.0 amp and 5v so they theoretically will work.

I stole the power ports from the old routers and hooked em up to the c64 din plug and then just plug in the snes and dlink power supplies so I didn't have to modify them.

Works a treat but aint the prettiest.

hope that helps.

Since Id like to have this power supply be fairly reliable what are some quality 5v 3a adapters that are fairly cheap. Surfing the internet, I see theres a wide range of quality with various prices but are there any that someone here has tried and is still using successfully?

I got mine from Jameco, both the 9v AC and the 5V dc.