IGNORED

EPOCH/YENO SUPER CASSETTE VISION

sprazzi

Yup, straight cable once you get the pinout correct. I seem to recall I mirrored it at first and got nothing, but once I got shadows of moving balloons, I knew I was on the right path. I also realized the 5V comes handy with a resistor to enable SCART devices into RGB mode automatically, which was an mod I made at a second session.

O_o

From the video's description, translated from Japanese via Google Translate:

I wanted to move something like "super shot 68K" with super cassette vision (no sound)
Foundation
Published on Apr 17, 2016
Since there is no real machine environment, I recorded what I emulated with eSCV.exe.
Since it is not possible to confirm the actual machine, it is unconfirmed whether it will work on actual machine.
It is based on a 32kB + 8k SRAM cartridge.

Not actual hardware, but impressive. I wonder if it would really work on a real SCV...

Edited by pacman000

• 2 months later...

Look for japanese sellers on eBay, or Yahoo Japan. Japanese gamers are not really interested in the SCV, so you can find at least the most common games for cheap (minus shipping).

The SCART cable is very simple to make, if you have minimal soldering skills.

Wired to the following Specs:

8 Pin DIN plug (looking into back of connector)

--7-----6

3----8---1

---5---4

1 +5 volts

2 GND

3 Mono Audio

4 CSYNC

5 --

6 red

7 green

8 blue

If you don't wanna bother, there is a ready-made one here :

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/EPOCH-SUPER-CASSETTE-VISION-RGB-SCART-CABLE

But it's expensive. Buying a SCART plug, a DIN plug and getting a 6 wires cable from some A/V device should cost you much less.

A good plan is to buy a cheap SCART cable (like that one : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/2M-for-PS2-RGB-SCART-Cable-TV-AV-Lead-for-Playstation-PS1-PS2-PS3-Slim-Line/32752333650.html?src=google&albslr=220687172&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&source={ifdyn:dyn}{ifpla:pla}{ifdbm:DBM&albch=DID}&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&albcp=653151748&albag=36672819047&slnk=&trgt=68416666751&plac=&crea=fr32752333650&netw=g&device=c&mtctp=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqYfWBRDPARIsABjQRYw-VKuA7ew__1PcFER8gfn6wUQGxnnZB1kplKU-ioETMIwpFs68DX8aAqDdEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds )

snap the Playstation tip, and wire the DIN cable. The longer part will be to identify each wire.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Offer and demand. It's why I do that; I find a supplier of RGB cables for GameCube or Playstation (for some reason, they are the cheapest) and use them for anything with DIN or other standard conenctor RGB system.

It saves me time and the price for a SCART plug and cable is about the same than getting those cables.

Advantage, some of those cheap cables are correctly wired, with a resistor between the +12/+5volts and the 3V pins.

So it's just a matter of identifiying the corresponding wires.

I saw the SCV cable is part of a special product category for extra high quality cables, where all of them are priced much higher than the regular cables so perhaps it explains the difference. Not that one would need extra high quality for the SCV. I built my cable from leftover parts, and usually pick up my SCART cables at the goodwill for 10 SEK each, though I understand that is not an option in places where SCART never became big. But yes, if you cut one of those cables open, it is a myriad of small wires to identify. Sometimes I try to carefully open up one of the SCART connector ends and going by a pinout diagram, identify one wire at a time instead of going round robin among all of them.

I was in Japan recently, and wanted to take home a SCV so bad. I just couldn't justify spending $200 on a boxed one. I think the lowest I saw was 168.I spent so little over the week I was there, I could have bought one, but the games individually were crazy high priced. I think one(DragonBall Z) was 100 bucks, and loose carts weren't that much better for pricing.

But hey, I made it a fun side mission on my trip to find out all the Cassette Visions(a few not for sale) and SCVs I could find around the Osaka area.

It appears to me that prices even for the most common games have increased on eBay lately. Perhaps that is a given, since everything else in the world of vintage gaming and computing is increasing exponentially, and why would the SCV be an exception? Still, keep trying eBay as every now and then you might find a system and games someone else forgets to bid on.

I would imagine specialized games stores, irregardless if they're in Japan or elsewhere, always will be the most expensive places to buy stuff as they (1) know exactly what they're selling, (2) know what the items would cost elsewhere and (3) run the business to make profit. Frankly I don't understand the regular question on forums about "I am going to city XYZ, can anyone recommend stores for used games?" in the hope they'll score some great deals there. Same goes about any other form of antiques, designer furniture etc. Usually you don't get the best prices in a specialized store, though they may have the biggest selection of course if you're willing to pay premium for that.

I saw the SCV cable is part of a special product category for extra high quality cables, where all of them are priced much higher than the regular cables so perhaps it explains the difference. Not that one would need extra high quality for the SCV. I built my cable from leftover parts, and usually pick up my SCART cables at the goodwill for 10 SEK each, though I understand that is not an option in places where SCART never became big. But yes, if you cut one of those cables open, it is a myriad of small wires to identify. Sometimes I try to carefully open up one of the SCART connector ends and going by a pinout diagram, identify one wire at a time instead of going round robin among all of them.

It's what I do, yes. Usually the cheap PS cables have only the needed number of wires, so you open th SCART shell and follow where the cables go. IT's useful to take a look as almost every time, the grounds aren't linked together, which can lead to a noisy picture.

Oh if I had any wiring skills whatsoever I would make a SCART cable but alas, those are nonexistent for me!

I saw someone mentioning the idea of a flash cart one day for the system. Is there someone actually working on this, or is it just wishful thinking?

• 6 months later...

Not a complete new topic, but might still be helpful:

Another SCART- cable for SUPER CASSETTE VISION

The information seems to be somewhat scattered around the place, so here again. I just made a SCART-cable for my new SCV.

This is how I made it. Maybe you need one, too.

post-32856-0-49266000-1540483142_thumb.jpg

post-32856-0-21119600-1540483157.jpgpost-32856-0-63156100-1540483167.jpg

It's working.

:)

• Like 2

The SCV has been crazy expensive lately. I say try Yahoo auctions japan and see if you can find one not so expensive.

Took me a while but I finally got all of the games... I am just missing Shogi Nyuumon (The Shogi Japanese style chess game). I however do not know how to play it so I did not really want it.

Here is a pic of most of my games I have been saving, this pic is missing a few but still pretty close.

This collection took me a little over 3 years to find ... the hardest ones for me to find were Mappy, Pole Position II, Skykid, BASIC, Ton Ton Ball, Dragon Ball, Wai Wai Monster Land, Dragon Slayer and Nebula. The rest were not so bad.

Unfortunately this system has become quite expensive to collect for but if you use a Japan Auction Handler for Yahoo Japan Auctions, you can often find a decent deal on some of these.

Good Luck and let me know if you all have any questions.

post-6621-0-43210400-1540523493_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Is it really "quite expensive", or just that it has climbed from being one of the cheapest to collect, to roughly what people pay for far more common formats like the entire Nintendo or even Sega lot? I'm only getting the common carts, hesitate to pay more than $15 + shipping for a CIB cartridge, which would be fairly low regarding most systems.

Can anybody do me a favor and measure the dimensions of the SCV-door, please. Mine is door-less and maybe I'll make some kind of cover for it. Maybe of thin sheet metal. Some photos would be great, too. What does the snap lock look like?

Thanks!

Rolo

:)