IGNORED

EPOCH/YENO SUPER CASSETTE VISION

sprazzi

News flash: Multicart for super cassette vision is on its way!

One shortly available from user TeamE and another one from user Rolo: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/127752-flashcart-and-multicart-list-all-systems/page-93.

Super happy to be able to play the games without spending hundreds of euros or importing from Japan.

The games seem pretty decent too. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the multicart. :)

They were well shipped from Austria.

They seem well crafted and working as said, i.e. two games (notably pole position 2) won't work because of extra ram missing.

However I tried some of the games and they work perfectly.

Just what was needed for this little fun system, hoping that maybe the prices will go down a little!

post-37920-0-35424000-1557569550.jpg

post-37920-0-34501900-1557569555.jpg

Edited by sprazzi

• 10 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 3:16 AM, carlsson said:

I never got around to measure the lid... However I see a lot of loose SCV:s from Japan missing it so it must easily break or get lost.

Oh? Might this be for possible replacements?

Some guy on YT had a friend 3D print a new lid so ...

• Like 2

Mine still have it although 9/10th broken.I think one improvement would be, instead of usign the original design, to put holes where the plastic "hinges" would be, and use a small metal bar as hinges, that way whe you open the lid as intented (by the middle of it) the efforts goes to the metal bar and given the diameter, it would flex and absorb the effort.

On 3/12/2020 at 7:39 PM, Yosikuma said:

Some guy on YT had a friend 3D print a new lid so ...

Perhaps I misunderstood this. I thought you had seen someone posting on YouTube how they had a friend 3D print a Super Cassette Vision lid, but of course if the drawing or files are not publically available, it is status quo.

By the way, I've seen that Yamatoku has a "junk" console with intact lid out now. Actually I got a notification about it a few days ago and now again today but I think it is the same auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Cassette-Vision-9000013022984/313032104417

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, it struck me today that Nebula probably borrowed more than "four bars" from the arcade game Cosmic Avenger. Sure, they say if you have seen one shoot 'em up, you have seen them all but there are quite a few elements that match. In the world of horizontal scrolling shooters, if you copy an existing game perhaps there are less distinct (and colourful) games to replicate with a few small differences, unless you can license the original (like Boulder Dash and Miner 2049er).

Cosmic Avenger (arcade version):

Nebula:

• 5 months later...

Since we have several Epoch threads, I didn't know which one to post in but I figured this is as good as any else.

Leonard Herman (rolenta) posted on Facebook about an article published in June regarding the Epoch history, from the beginning to the end. I wasn't aware (or possibly had forgotten) that they early on tried to import the Atari 2600 before the Epoch Cassette Vision and the Super Cassette Vision.

https://thegamescholar.com/2020/06/10/the-forgotten-epic/

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Sadly the history of video gaming in Japan prior to the Famicom and also on all the computer side is heavily ignored in the West. I didn't knew Epoch was involved in, but I knew a few Atari 2600 were gray-imported before Atari officiall stepped in.

Interestingly, so far the only Cassette vision gameplay picture were in black and white, so I assumed it was a black and white console. It appears to be in colors!

I still can't help thinking the Hanimex HMG 7800 is related to the Cassette Vision, but the games aren't exactly the same. Still, it is said that the Cassette Vision use a NEC D777C CPU, and the HMG seems to be using a NEC D779C.

Graphisms looks very close, but it's probably a byproduct of the limited resolution and colors.

The game does looks different tho :

Maybe the game were altered to avoid Epoch sueing Hanimex/Soundic. I wonder if Epoch could have done something through ITMC/Yeno, their French partner that ended up distributing the Super Cassette Vision.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/1/2018 at 6:52 PM, carlsson said:

Yup, straight cable once you get the pinout correct. I seem to recall I mirrored it at first and got nothing, but once I got shadows of moving balloons, I knew I was on the right path. I also realized the 5V comes handy with a resistor to enable SCART devices into RGB mode automatically, which was an mod I made at a second session.

Hey,

I'm sorry for resurrecting a largely dead topic, but I was wondering if you could please build an RGB SCART cable for me for payment?

I recently got a Super Cassette Vision and can't play it as I don't have an RGB cable and the main seller is sold out currently. 

Thanks!

To those folks that need to build a cable, I built one for mine, it was not too difficult.  I unfortunately do not have my tools with me as they are in storage and where I am I cannot do solder work due to space.

If I can make it to storage I will be happy to at least grab the cable and take pictures that perhaps might be able to help.

If I can find a place to work I will be sure to let you know if I can build you a cable.

Sorry I wish I can offer more at this time.

Earlier in this thread there already were a couple of diagrams how to construct it, so it is mostly a matter of getting to solder. I should go through some second hand stores to pick up a bunch of SCART cables to cut up since I'm starting to run low. Once I have those - usually fully connected - it is a matter of wiring up only the DIN end of the cable but it is a bit fiddly for someone who doesn't solder on a regular basis.

I'm still looking for one myself. The one supplier had said they'd restock the cables back in August, but it has yet to happen.

56 minutes ago, CatPix said:

I could to that too but I'm out of SCART leads. I do'nt remember if the Japanese and French-market ones have the same RGB outputs? That would make things easier (and allow me to test in on my French system.

I'm sure the non-Japanese models use EuroSCART, while the Japanese ones use JP21. I personally have no issues because I have the right adapters to use with my XRGB-mini (I have yet to test the RetroTink 5x with different SCART types).

Fortunately, the RF output on the SCV is actually really good for that type of connection, so I'm not especially desperate for the cable to become available again, although obviously I'd prefer it.

Yes, both the Epoch Super Cassette Vision from Japan and the Yeno Super Cassette Vision from (??) France have the exact same pinout on the DIN. I have used the same, homemade cable with both.

I suppose I should go hunting for some SCART cables, and then look into my supply of 8-pin DIN, might need to order a few more. Then again soldering a few cables in the same session almost makes more sense than only doing one.

Yep, it's easier to do it while you're warmed up and have all the schematics at hand. And I mgiht be lakcing 8 pins DIN too now that I think of it ^^

For the console, both are made by Epoch, though there is a level of care for the French model that show that it was designed from the get go. In fact, I think that it's not impossible that Yeno especially demanded Epoch to add the RGB connector.

On the Yeno Super Cassette Vision, the Yeno label is on the main shell, silkscreened and not just a sticker: instructions on the panel are in French (tho this part is more easily swappable) and the back silver sticker hide the RF hole in the shell, all proof that those modifications were made in the Epoch factory and not after by Yeno.

The DIN could have been modified for some reason, that wouldn't have been a first : French Color Computer 2 have a fully redesigned motherboard with RGB out, ZX Spectrum 128 and 2+ have standard RGB out instead of TTL RGB, French SMS 2 feature RGB out, etc... So I no longer assume that everything is standard when it come to French-market machines :D

Edited by CatPix

Hi Guys,

You probably saw my posting above. It is quite easy and straight forward to make such a SCART-cable.?

If there is demand for a few more cables, it probably makes sense for one of us to buy a bunch of components and make some cables, instead of each of us to start all over again.

I suggest, we try to figure out first, how many DIN to SCART cables we need. I assume, anybody of us tries to provide those cables cheaply. No business. ?

Maybe anybody who needs one, just posts a little one-liner right here in the thread? 

?