IGNORED

Best Electronics

Bikerbob

51 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Well, if that's the way the law is written in California, then you're definitely right. It sounds like he's possibly setting himself up for even more than just lost business.

Businesses are absolutely allowed the right to refuse service, but if they choose to do so, they must adhere to the laws and procedures governing such practice that is generally only accepted as a last resort, and not a regular business occurrence on a whim. 

5 hours ago, YSG2020 said:

You are incorrect. Here is the law in California where this business resides:

business owners cannot refuse service based on arbitrary reasons outside of the protected classes. Instead, reasons must be legitimate enough to hold up in court. In general, refusal of service is justified in cases where a customer’s presence interferes with the safety and well-being of other patrons and the establishment”

Brad’s arbitrary mean Discrimination and denial of service to people for no reason , who are in good faith seeking goods and service he is advertising and has engaged in, does in fact likely break the law. 

Well ain't that nice. La-de-da.  Cali-freakin'-Fornian Laws.  What a joke.  Who, in their right mind, would spend their money (Lawyers make about $300 an hour, probably more in California), and the time/effort to sue a very small specialized business like Best for NOT selling items to people?  That suite, however unlikely to materialize, would be laughed out of court.  No discrimination against any certain group (does business over the phone or via email).  Didn't we all learn, according to the judges, you have to have standing.  Where's the standing?  Okay. I guess I have just risked being banded from this subject.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

All we need is some do-gooder to sue then watch him get pissed and close up shop and we're all out of luck.  I really hope the posters posturing on this issue aren't serious.

Get a grip guys and/or gals.

My sentiments exactly.  Don't like Best's (Brad's) biz practices, shop somewhere else.  Economically boycott his business. In the meantime, I will order from him.  I think Brad has done a great service for the Atari brand.  More than those fools (read Tramiels) did when they ran the actual company.  You think any of those guys (Tramiels) actually even own an Atari these days, or give a rat's ass about the brand?  Hell no.  So, thank you Brad. 

• Like 2

Wow the laws have changed so much in so many places, here when I was in retail you COULD refuse service and the offer of service was if I remember correctly "an invitation to treat" and that could be rescinded for whatever reason at the shops discretion. Obviously it was very very rarely used, drunks, people with a serious attitude and any abusive customers. Not something you get a lot in electronics except when head office were continuously out of stock of a common item :)

Not that I advocate suing a retailer over something trivial, if Brad was fussy with me and he's yet to be I'd vote with my feet and not sue him.

Does sound very dodgy for him based on those laws though...Lets hope it never happens...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Wow, so nice to see so many fellow forum members advocating for people to be mean aholes to each other with zero accountability or responsibility and decent kindness. Really nice.  Is that the kind of society you want to live in?  You people making these comments actually support treating people that way in the name of commerce?  That’s really messed up and selfish. :(

Edited by YSG2020
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Huh. I've bought from Best/Brad many, many times, without issue, meanness, etc. He's very direct/to-the-point over the phone, but not rude or mean. And he's never refused to sell me anything. I just received an order for (2) ST floppy data cables. Ordered an ST MultiSync cable about a month ago. Also zero issues whatsoever. 

Yeah, the website hurts your eyes and is hard to read. There are far worse issues in the world. {{shrug}}

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Lol, okey-dokey.  No one said or advocated any of the nasty things you are throwing around.  Maybe read what you write before posting?

Yeah.  I support people that support me.  Brad is not mean--He's been voted Atarian of the Year several times.  What kind of La-La world do some people live in?  "Don't be so mean to me when I grace your presence".  For reals?  Puff. Powerpuff.  Fluffy puff.  Again, don't like his Biz practices--Don't shop there.  Done.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I don't get it.  Same compliments.  Same complaints.  Website from the 90's.

We all know this and still get into Internet fights over it.

I suspect it’s because he’s sitting on the last and largest amazing trove of oem Atari Parts In the world and holds them hostage while frustrating and denying service to many Customers for no Sane reason whatsoever. 

• Haha 1

I hope one day whatever it is gets sorted out and all will be well. It's possible to be a functional individual who thinks it's 1995 also, we don't know everything. Brad has always been a good guy, but it depended on the day I called as to what seemed to be going on. Please consider that his actions and intentions are the very sincere and good things we want them to be. Also consider that due to whatever circumstance the chosen method to deal with it and still provide also may be what we have.

what some have found frustrating is stuff that is rotting on the shelves, row after row after row turning into goo, rust, corrosion, or non conducting patina. I wonder how much has been tossed or set aside over the years. Like a number of us there are good days and bad days.

I hope the best for Brad and BEST. He's always been there, and helped when he could.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

@_The Doctor__ Thank you for the well rounded perspective! You are right - a lot of us don't know Brad. He may be a spy young man full of strength and vigor or an elderly man battling health issues. Maybe he has a brood of kids, grandkids, and great grandkids or maybe he is alone and lonely. We don't know the stresses he has and doesn't have. I never had this perspective until my own life fell apart and began to understand it can happen to others. When you see something a little rough my suggestion would be not to make it about you or about the other person. It could be some undue stress or pressure you could never imagine. Be compassionate.

Or ... it could be that's just the way Brad is. He is his own person and he has every right to be who he wants to be and how, just like you. And trust me, you're not always a lump of sugar all the time either despite what you may think. :)

In another thread on the 2600 sub-forum I mentioned his three item limit. That frustrates some people but I can totally understand it. Imagine someone discovers Brad and Best-Electronics and decides to order hundreds of everything. Order all remaining A800 keyboard, SIO cables, power supplies, ROM chips, etc. It would be hoarding. Then owning it all that person could raise the price to whatever they want and sell it for much, much more than Brad's current prices. That could make the inventory inaccessible to the Atari community. I say the three item limit is plenty fine. Order what you need, not necessarily what you want.

• Like 4

Hello guys

Since the only person who knows what Brad is hoarding oops stocking is Brad himself, and from what people tell us, he might not have everything in some kind of database, let's make a plan to storm his warehouses as soon as he arrives at the pearly gates.  Nobody will know what's missing...  :D :grin: :-D

Sincerely

Mathy

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ColleenLover said:

I just placed an order on the phone yesterday afternoon (March 18th).

Yes he IS behind and warned me of a 3 week delay in shipping my order!

Also--- He limited me to 3 items on my order.

Limit of 3 is just idiotic but whatever, well anyways I promise you there is no 3 week delay in him shipping it. Just another weird thing that he likes to say. You will get it by Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ColleenLover said:

I just placed an order on the phone yesterday afternoon (March 18th).

Yes he IS behind and warned me of a 3 week delay in shipping my order!

Man - his poor "shipping department" must be overworked.  Might have to get the CEO, maybe even the president of the company involved :)

• Haha 3

Hello Stephen

22 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Man - his poor "shipping department" must be overworked.  Might have to get the CEO, maybe even the president of the company involved :)

If that doesn't work, the share holders would be an option...  :grin:

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
Added the smiley
  • Haha 3

BEST is fine.  I've had pretty good luck ordering things from him and always get a personal response when I ask questions.  So he's getting older and may sometimes be a little crotchety?  Well, you know what, me too, to all of that!  :)

I hit the 3-item limit as well on my last order, and really, it was fine, they were working off a backlog from the holiday rush and needed to control the flow a bit.  I'm sure if I go back now I can put in another order and get the rest of what I wanted.  You're not dealing with a big corporation, you're dealing with someone that does this as a labor of love.  So many of the people and companies I used to buy stuff from are no longer around and I'm grateful that he still is.

A tip:  This is how I find stuff on his site.  In google, use "site:https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/ <whatever you're looking for>".  That causes google to search for the stuff, restricted to his site.  Works great for me!

• Like 5

22 hours ago, YSG2020 said:

Lol. He clearly has you whipped. I’m nobody’s bitch. I Laugh how all of you who put up with his bs do so to kiss ass so you can get parts. Pathetic really. Have you no respect for yourselves?  You do have rights as a consumer you know...

Oh, please.

Rights as a consumer have absolutely ZERO to do with how a business conducts transactions with its customers, provided that those transactions are carried out in a legal manner.  Best (or any other company) can require you to sing "I'm a Little Teapot" before they'll sell to you.  As a privately-held company, they're entirely within their rights to do that.

Don't be so bloody melodramatic about it; they're not infringing on your rights.  Don't like the way they do business?  Vote with your wallet and buy elsewhere.

9 hours ago, YSG2020 said:

Wow, so nice to see so many fellow forum members advocating for people to be mean aholes to each other with zero accountability or responsibility and decent kindness. Really nice.  Is that the kind of society you want to live in?  You people making these comments actually support treating people that way in the name of commerce?  That’s really messed up and selfish. :(

Out of curiosity, have you ever actually ordered anything from Best?

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Oh, please.

Rights as a consumer have absolutely ZERO to do with how a business conducts transactions with its customers, provided that those transactions are carried out in a legal manner.  Best (or any other company) can require you to sing "I'm a Little Teapot" before they'll sell to you.  As a privately-held company, they're entirely within their rights to do that.

Don't be so bloody melodramatic about it; they're not infringing on your rights.  Don't like the way they do business?  Vote with your wallet and buy elsewhere.

You are entirely incorrect. Learn the law and your rights. Clueless. It’s 2021. You can’t just go around being an asshole to people without consequences. Legal and/or otherwise. 

• Haha 3

Just now, YSG2020 said:

You are entirely incorrect. Learn the law and your rights. Clueless. It’s 2021. You can’t just go around being an asshole to people without consequences. Legal and/or otherwise. 

Hi.  Want to fit in around here?  Calm down and be rational in your responses; name-calling really doesn't go over well here.  Not going to engage with you until you can do that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ColleenLover said:

This is why I won't order from him any more, when shipping to Canada a single package can be much less expensive than multiple packages, especially with smaller items.

• Like 5

This is all very groundhog day...At the end of the day he can run his business how he likes and we can buy if we like...Brad is Brad, he's been like it for ages, he isn't going to change because of an argument on a web site..

Its not the worlds greatest business model but no matter what laws there are we can't make him sell his good not force him to do quantities as annoying as it can be, in court it would probably come down to age and health and I can't imagine any court would do a thing to him.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3