IGNORED

Best Electronics

Bikerbob

10 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Out of curiosity, have you ever actually ordered anything from Best?

If Brad ever figures out who YSG2020 really is, there will be no soup for them ;)

• Haha 6

22 hours ago, YSG2020 said:

You are entirely incorrect. Learn the law and your rights. Clueless. It’s 2021. You can’t just go around being an asshole to people without consequences. Legal and/or otherwise. 

Interesting. Do they actually have laws against 'being an asshole'? I wonder how that gets defined, exactly, and also if that applies to posting rights on boards...hmm. Or even the media in general, there COULD be some assholery there too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Well, I think it's a general extension of this whole new generation that feels they have some right to not be offended, and everything that doesn't fit into their world view is offensive. I want things my way and I want them now, otherwise I'll press charges and sue!

That probably pushes a little too close to political speech, which we're not supposed to get into here, so I'll just stop right before I say something that will really get me into trouble or send me to AA jail.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, danwinslow said:

Do they actually have laws against 'being an asshole'? I wonder how that gets defined, exactly, and also if that applies to posting rights on boards...hmm.

Yes. Come to the UK, and Scotland in particular, where you can now be locked up for being an asshole online. True story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2021 at 7:35 PM, YSG2020 said:

You are incorrect. Here is the law in California where this business resides:

business owners cannot refuse service based on arbitrary reasons outside of the protected classes. Instead, reasons must be legitimate enough to hold up in court. In general, refusal of service is justified in cases where a customer’s presence interferes with the safety and well-being of other patrons and the establishment”

Brad’s arbitrary mean Discrimination and denial of service to people for no reason , who are in good faith seeking goods and service he is advertising and has engaged in, does in fact likely break the law. 

Is this a citation of actual law?  Because I can't find it.  It seems to me that you are instead quoting this website or something similar, and have changed the wording a bit to support your argument:

https://www.mydoorsign.com/blog/right-to-refuse-service-to-anyone/

From the site:

"These signs also don’t allow business owners to refuse service based on arbitrary reasons outside of the protected classes (though pointing out signs to cries of “No fair!” might avoid any further action on the part of spurned patrons). Instead, reasons must be legitimate enough to hold up in court. In general, refusal of service is justified in cases where a customer’s presence interferes with the safety and well-being of other patrons and the establishment itself. The most basic examples of this include patrons who are unreasonably rowdy, patrons lacking adequate hygiene, and those accompanied by large groups of non-customers."

The actual law, which is California Civil Code Section 51 (aka the "Unruh Civil Rights Act"), states:

"All persons within the jurisdiction of this state are free and equal, and no matter what their sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, primary language, or immigration status are entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities, privileges, or services in all business establishments of every kind whatsoever."

Even if business were required to provide service to all customers (they aren't), and even if it were illegal to be disrespectful to customers (it isn't), none of this applies to Brad and how he conducts business.  Brad is not refusing service, he is setting conditions under which he will provide service.  He is not refusing you entry into his warehouse based on the clothes you're wearing or your haircut (truly "arbitrary" reasons a racist could use, for instance, as an excuse to refuse service to someone based on the color of their skin), but is refusing you service at all based on what he perceives as a pattern of wasting his time.

The law is not meant to force Brad to reply to your every email when he feels you are wasting his time.  It is not meant to force Brad to sell you five AC power adapters when he only wants to sell you three, nor is it meant to ensure that Brad is really nice to you in his emails.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, newtmonkey said:

It is not meant to force Brad to sell you five AC power adapters when he only wants to sell you three, nor is it meant to ensure that Brad is really nice to you in his emails.

Actually the law says he has to sell you 5 Ingot power supplies! ;)

• Haha 4

I just wish some people would be more respectful of the person that is Brad, you might be annoyed by his quirks but to make personal remarks about him is bang out of order. I don't know Mr Koda that well, I have met him once and he was a really nice gentleman, any emails I've sent have be replied to in a timely fashion and I've never had constraints but accept others have. Sure it must be annoying but keep it professional eh.

If you don't like his way then quite rightly vote with your feet, it's a free choice. In truth we need Bradley as much as he needs us and when he does business its prompt and well supported, just try and remember that Mr Koda isn't a spring chicken these days and despite his talking I bet its just him and maybe his wife or family members running all this, maybe even just him. Saying that, he's still plugging away and supplying us with parts.

Just keep it respectful eh....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 3/18/2021 at 11:58 PM, YSG2020 said:

Brad outright abuses many of his customers, just because he feels he can, so he does depending on his Nutty mood of the day.  He’s an ornery old fool who’s been sniffing Harmful electronics off gassing chemicals for too many decades in that chaotic warehouse. 

Can this be considered libel and/or defamation?  Now that's something I can see a person getting sued over. :)

• Like 3

So enough about what a bad person Brad is. Here's my experience each and every time I submit an order with Best Electronics...

Although I've never met him or talked to him over the phone, Brad always treats me with kindness and respect, and is quick to respond to any emailed order I send his way. You can probably imagine that he receives quite a few emails each day, so I try to organize mine by putting together a list of what I need including the Atari part numbers, description, and pricing from his website and embed it into an email with the subject line of 'Atari Parts Order'.

Here's and example.

Email2Brad.thumb.png.cd59cfdcbf8daca16672b4970842dc95.png

<At the end of the email I add my address and phone number>

And here's Brad's reply the very same day I placed the order.

ReplyfromBrad.thumb.png.8ffa608885404c04e3b570c8c140cfd7.png

Pretty nice for someone that has been accused of mistreating his customers ;) .

Bottom line is that if you treat Brad the way you would like to be treated, he will respond in kind and probably not limit you to 2 or 3 items either ? :) .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I agree 100%. I've always done the same with him, and sent him emails similar to yours. The only issues I've ever had dealing with him is feeling nervous and walking on eggshells, trying not to do or say anything that might upset him, not due in any way to how he's ever acted towards or treated me, but due to the email testimonials that I see from strangers on this board.

• Like 4

I personally had one great experience with Brad, and then one poor experience.  I won't go into details because I really don't care and have no hard feelings, but he clearly didn't want my business and I'm fine with that.  As a small business owner myself, I turn down business from time to time when I don't want to be bothered with it.  I went elsewhere and got what I was looking for, from someone who was happy to have my business (Lance at Video 61 btw).

It's his business, and he's not breaking any laws.  I don't care, personally.  It's all good.

55 minutes ago, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

@mytek My experiences agree with yours. I also make a table/list and Brad responds to each item. It’s perfect. 1-2-3 ... 1-2-3. 

Brad’s A-OK in my book.

Likewise here.  20+ years and no problems.  Brad's always been a great vendor.  

I would add, that Brad appreciates it if you use your customer number, if you have one.  It will be on the shipping invoice of anything you buy from him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mytek said:

So enough about what a bad person Brad is. Here's my experience each and every time I submit an order with Best Electronics...

Although I've never met him or talked to him over the phone, Brad always treats me with kindness and respect, and is quick to respond to any emailed order I send his way. You can probably imagine that he receives quite a few emails each day, so I try to organize mine by putting together a list of what I need including the Atari part numbers, description, and pricing from his website and embed it into an email with the subject line of 'Atari Parts Order'.

Here's and example.

Email2Brad.thumb.png.cd59cfdcbf8daca16672b4970842dc95.png

<At the end of the email I add my address and phone number>

And here's Brad's reply the very same day I placed the order.

ReplyfromBrad.thumb.png.8ffa608885404c04e3b570c8c140cfd7.png

Pretty nice for someone that has been accused of mistreating his customers ;) .

Bottom line is that if you treat Brad the way you would like to be treated, he will respond in kind and probably not limit you to 2 or 3 items either ? :) .

Thanks for that.  That is how I order.  I have talked to him a few times and he has never given me a bid of hard time.  One-man shows can be tough.  Again, I am thankful for him.  In fact, last night I went on his site to see if I "need" anything.  Unfortunately, I don't at this time.  The only hesitation I have when ordering from him is that he puts all that ATARI tape all over the packaging.  I wish he wouldn't.  It's harder for me to lie about it to my spousal unit.  Bruce (B&C), Lance (Atari Sales), and Ben Smith (Bravo Sierra) have been a big part of my Atari hobby for over 35 years.  It's really a miracle when you think of it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tempest said:

Let's be respectful to each other.  I don't want to start kicking people out of this thread, but I will if things to don't calm down a bit.  Think before you hit that Submit button.

Respect and professional courtesy with ethical fair business treatment for all customers was the reason for my complaint in the first place.  Seems like a good deal of people here would rather bash me for complaining about incredibly bad service and business practices, just so they can continue to order.  Sad. 

3 hours ago, YSG2020 said:

Respect and professional courtesy with ethical fair business treatment for all customers was the reason for my complaint in the first place.  Seems like a good deal of people here would rather bash me for complaining about incredibly bad service and business practices, just so they can continue to order.  Sad. 

Quoted for posterity.

• Like 1