IGNORED

4K Short'n'Sweet game contest

Asmusr

It just occurred to me as well, how is the voting planned: using a survey question or by posts in the thread? We could do the survey in the submission thread by changing the first post then I can move it. At least, I think you can add a survey in an edit.

My entry should be ready by end of next week. I'm familiarizing myself with sound production in assembly and let me tell you that it is a royal pain in the ass... I think at some point in the future I'm going to write a utility to automatically convert CALL SOUND values into the byte strings needed by the sound generator which I could copy and paste into my programs.

You could save yourself some time and use SLCOMPILER or SLCONVERT from XB256. Both do what you want (in different ways), although the code may need a tiny tweak or two to work directly with assembly rather than with the compiler.

I wandered about. Looked at both my project folder and outside. Time is seriously running out. I decided to lock on to the platformer. Don't want to harvest goodies from what is planned to be "larger" projects. Most of my projects have the 8K limit in mind, but I'm actually very open for anything going 16K or beyond. Anyways, progress with the platformer is slow. Maybe even too slow. I don't see the 4K limit as especially restrictive. Well, I better shut up and go to work.

:|

• Like 5

You could save yourself some time and use SLCOMPILER or SLCONVERT from XB256. Both do what you want (in different ways), although the code may need a tiny tweak or two to work directly with assembly rather than with the compiler.

I will have to look at that. Thanks for the tip.

An exciting day for me... I beat my own game for the first time legitimately (without changing my lives variable and without starting later in the game)

I finished with one life left... one more unfortunate incident with a monster would have red-screened me.

:)

Damn game is hard....

post-24953-0-85898600-1521333223.png

• Like 5

When you look at the quality of some of these games, if only TI had introduced the mini memory module maybe 6 months earlier than they did. You would have seen a bunch of impressive games on cassette for the console only. Only a handful were actually developed. These games are fantastic

• Like 1

* HeroX *

attachicon.gifherox.png

Language: Assembler

Size: 4056 bytes (after subtracting headers or loaders, Cart version is 4070 bytes after headers)

Various loaders provided. Requires Mini-Memory or Supercart with RAM, OR Editor/Assembler with 32k. Cartridge image has no RAM requirements. Play requires joystick. See readme.

Zip includes raw TIFILES and DSK image.

Join our studly and pixelated Hero on his quest to rescue the fair maiden from a blocky menace! 5 level platformer ported from an old XB game of mine (which is also included, for fun).

Source is in the zip and also at Github: https://github.com/tursilion/herox

I'm a little surprised that nobody submitted something in C (yet).

Is the runtime with GCC too big on the TI99?

Gladly. Tomorrow... I'll edit this post with the details ;-)

EDIT: First, this is using bitmap mode.

The scrolling is done by redrawing the name table every frame. The pattern/color tables are split up into 32 groups of 8. Each group of 8 is a transition between a pair of chars, scrolled vertically through 8 pixels. (Use the Classic99 debugger and press F9 to see what it looks like.)

The name table is drawn by reading precalculated strips of chars for each row and adding the Y scroll offset mod 8 to each character value in the strip. The strips are separated into left and right sides of 16 chars each, to reuse repeated patterns.

The track is stored as a list of track segment types. There are 13 different types of track segment. Each segment is 32 rows tall, containing the left and right strip index for each row. Each character in the strip indicates which transition pair to use, its value is the first entry in the group of 8 chars in the pattern table.

The color and pattern tables are changed rarely. Each track segment may use a different set of transition pairs. When scrolling into a new segment, only the transition pairs that are different from the previous segment are loaded into the color and pattern tables. Since there are three color/pattern tables for the screen in bitmap mode, the same updates happen three times - after every 8 rows scrolled.

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 3

Yes, I plan to complete Bounce'n'Pounce someday. It will probably take more than 8K more to do it though. I'm eager to get back to work on Tilda now.

I have a question about the SeniorFalcon's BASIC loader for the MiniMemory. My problem is this:

>CALL INIT
>CALL LOAD("DSK3.SNSLOADER.OBJ")
>CALL LOAD("DSK3.BNP_4K.OBJ")
 * I/O ERROR 25

I'm creating the obj file using "xas99.py -R bnp_4k_mm.asm -o bnp_4k.obj". I get the same error if I use xas99 to assemble MINIMEMTST and load that obj file. One difference I see is the working MINIMEMTST.OBJ has a TIFILES header. How should I add that?

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 2

Yes, I plan to complete Bounce'n'Pounce someday. It will probably take more than 8K more to do it though. I'm eager to get back to work on Tilda now.

I have a question about the SeniorFalcon's BASIC loader for the MiniMemory. My problem is this:

>CALL INIT
>CALL LOAD("DSK3.SNSLOADER.OBJ")
>CALL LOAD("DSK3.BNP_4K.OBJ")
 * I/O ERROR 25

I'm creating the obj file is created using "xas99.py -R bnp_4k_mm.asm -o bnp_4k.obj". I get the same error if I use xas99 to assemble MINIMEMTST and load that obj file. Once difference I see is the working MINIMEMTST.OBJ has a TIFILES header. How should I add that?

You need a SuperCart when you assemble the MiniMemory loader.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1

You need a SuperCart when you assembly the MiniMemory loader.

So I can't use xas99.py to assemble it? Bummer.

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked at your source code for FORK and see in make.bat how you put it in a disk image. That did the trick!

EDIT2: I have updated the contest entry to include the TI BASIC loader.

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 3