IGNORED

4K Short'n'Sweet game contest

Asmusr

Holy cow, 4K is tough in BASIC! :D

I've used 1314 bytes so far, and I have most of the groundwork laid... keyboard routine, and updating the screen is going to take at least another 1K... then the remainder of the game logic will likely eat up the other 1.5K if I am minimalistic... There won't be any room for a title or end screen. But, I'm encouraged... I think it can be done! :)

Remember that you can do IF statements this way:

10 IF (X=7)*(Y=3)*(Z=23) THEN 120 (Equivalent of IF Z=7 AND Y=3 AND Z=23 THEN 120) which should save some memory over doing it like this:

10 IF X<>7 THEN 20

12 IF Y<>3 THEN 20

14 IF Z=23 THEN 120

20 program...

120 !X=7, Y=3, Z=23

* acts like AND

+ acts like OR

Edited by senior_falcon

A sub-4K BASIC game eh? You really got my curiosity piked!

And surprisingly playable, too. :) Its responsive, fairly quick, and pretty challenging.

Its not assembly, and it really doesnt stand a chance in this competition, I dont think, but Im just happy to have completed a 4K BASIC game!!!

Edited by Opry99er

And surprisingly playable, too. :) Its responsive, fairly quick, and pretty challenging.

Its not assembly, and it really doesnt stand a chance in this competition, I dont think, but Im just happy to have completed a 4K BASIC game!!!

Don’t sell yourself short, I haven’t seen everyone else’s but I’m sure yours will have a really good shot :) great work on cramming that into 4K!!

• Like 2

How are we doing submissions, by the way? Attaching to this thread, or a separate submission thread?

I think this thread should be fine for submissions, but I'm happy to create another thread if anyone disagrees.

We want all entries to be submitted before the end of March. On the 1st of April it would be great if OLD CS1 could create a voting thread with the previously agreed questions:

1. Which game is your choice for 1st prize?

Entry one

Entry two

Entry three

2. Which game is your choice for 2nd prize?

Entry one

Entry two

Entry three

3. Which game is your choice for 3rd prize?

Entry one

Entry two

Entry three

This is just exemplary, all games would be listed under each category.

I think we should have one to two weeks to collect votes before the result is announced,

I think this thread should be fine for submissions, but I'm happy to create another thread if anyone disagrees.

We want all entries to be submitted before the end of March. On the 1st of April it would be great if OLD CS1 could create a voting thread with the previously agreed questions:

1. Which game is your choice for 1st prize?

Entry one

Entry two

Entry three

2. Which game is your choice for 2nd prize?

Entry one

Entry two

Entry three

3. Which game is your choice for 3rd prize?

Entry one

Entry two

Entry three

This is just exemplary, all games would be listed under

I think we should have one to two weeks to collect votes before the result is announced,

I think it would be better to have a separate submission thread to keep everything together.

• Like 1

Is the contest still 'open' until the end of March or are we expected to submit entries 1-2 weeks before the contest is over? Post #194 muddies the waters for me, though I suppose that's normal for me these days ;) (edit: I'll know Monday if I need to travel this month so it may be a moot point for me anyway)

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

I'm currently using 4094 of my allotted 4096 bytes.

I have maxed it out.

I wrote a beautiful musical score that I had to cut in half to fit the 4k limit... It makes me sad to hear it, brutalized that way. But at least there is some music. :)

4094 bytes.... I might just go in and add 2 extra characters to round it out... just for completion's sake. :)

• Like 2