IGNORED

4K Short'n'Sweet game contest

Asmusr

Tim,

The way I read it, all submissions are to be in on the 31st of March. On the 1st of April, a voting thread will be opened. 2 weeks later, the vote count will be final and the winner will be announced.

That's my take.

Exactly. So if we want a separate submission thread that has to be created a few weeks before 31 March.

I'm currently using 4094 of my allotted 4096 bytes.

I have maxed it out.

I wrote a beautiful musical score that I had to cut in half to fit the 4k limit... It makes me sad to hear it, brutalized that way. But at least there is some music. :)

4094 bytes.... I might just go in and add 2 extra characters to round it out... just for completion's sake. :)

You could always release a directors cut later on after the contest that has the full musical piece ;)

• Like 1

Okay... I was making a mistake in how I was calculating my available bytes. I was taking the measurement after RUNning the program... Something I have done many times when trying to squeeze a program to run on an unexpanded console. In speaking with Tursi, I learned that only the code size mattered... not the VDP footprint. This actually made nearly a 100 byte difference!!!

My 220 lines of console BASIC code now fit neatly into the Mini Memory module, I have my ascending arpeggio into the first Eminor chord, and I'm calling it done.

I did roughly 90% of the coding on the real console, saving my progress to tape. When I got to the point of being "over the limit," I started fiddling with variables in Notepad++.... In retrospect, I wish I'd done the whole thing on the console, but it is what it is. :) If my MiniMem cart was working properly, I would have saved to that... which is what I was trying to do at the outset... but since I think the battery is flaky or I have something wonky going on, I used cassette.

Now it's done, and I get to sit back and relax on this contest. I won't be messing with it anymore. It's so compressed now with odd single character variable names that I'm afraid I'll break it and not know how to fix it. :)

This was insanely challenging and fun.

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 4

OK my game is pretty much done and fully playable save the sound effects and splash screen. It has been designed from the ground up to exclusively run on the Mini Memory module with no other support and should load from tape without issues. It's currently coming in at 1.8K in size, so there is plenty of room left :)

• Like 2

I was planning to do it on the 17th (two weeks before the deadline) but I can do it sooner.

Regarding the instructions for the submission thread, I suggest only post per game only [edit: with an option to post corrections] to avoid confusion about different versions.

I'm not sure whether we should encourage or discourage comments and discussion about the games in the submission thread?

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1

For the SSGC (and you can do whatever you want, obviously) we had the submission thread strictly for submissions... no discussion or comments. All discussion and commenting, smack talk, etc was on the main thread.

The submissions were in zip format including all docs and release items all zipped into one zip file. If there are 5 games submitted, there should be a total of 6 posts to the thread... your initial starting post discussing the rules of the contest, and explaining the purpose of the thread and then 1 post for each submissions.

At least, thats how we did it previously. You may have a better idea, which is more than possible. :)

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 2

Already two submissions. :D

I played yours this morning before work - made it to level 15 and ran out of lives. :skull: Nice challenge! Seems like you have enough lives to hit one obstacle per level, it's luck if you can make it through a level without losing a life, but if you hit two or more it's your own damn fault.

I'm still working on my entry. I seem to have forgotten that this should have been a minimalist operation, now cutting down the sprite patterns to reclaim some space. Glad to have the extra time to complete.

• Like 1

I played yours this morning before work - made it to level 15 and ran out of lives. :skull: Nice challenge! Seems like you have enough lives to hit one obstacle per level, it's luck if you can make it through a level without losing a life, but if you hit two or more it's your own damn fault.

I'm still working on my entry. I seem to have forgotten that this should have been a minimalist operation, now cutting down the sprite patterns to reclaim some space. Glad to have the extra time to complete.

The monster locations are static per level, so the more you play, the more youll remember. :)

Only need to remember a few of the tricky locations to give you a few extra lives near the end. :D

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

• Like 1