IGNORED

Active Telnet BBS's

9640News

Well, I got my Lantronix UDS-10 setup with the cabling described by Omega in an October, 2014 document. Whoever Omega is, great document.

I did successfully telnet into the Heatwave bbs at 74.193.9.234,9640 without issue at 2400 and 4800 baud configurations. I haven't tried anything faster yet.

I tried to do a test with downloading a file with both Telco and MyTerm on the Geneve at both 2400 and 4800 baud rates. I get 128 packets up to 640 bytes, and then I get errors and then it aborts. Looking at some older messages on the group, there was an indication downloads were an issue. Is this something unique to Heatwave?

Also, are there other BBS's out there I should explore?

Thanks.

Beery

• Like 1

Depends how your UDS is configured, Beery. Uploads and downloads work fine so long as the Telnet protocol can do it's proper handshaking. Check your UDS connect and disconnect mode settings. Sorry, I don't have mine in front of me right now.

The Hidden Reef is currently dial-up only. Fusion BBS is currently hosted on the same hardware as Heatwave, until Shift838 sets up his system again following post-Harvey cleanup.

There are other Telnet BBSs out there hosted by non-TI systems. For higher speeds you can use PORT (Geneve) at 38.4k in mono ANSI; color ANSI requires hardware handshaking cable since the V9938 can't plot the characters quickly enough in graphics mode 6. For the TI, you can use TIMXT to achieve 38.4 and color, provided you have the F18A mod to take advantage of the 80 column color text mode.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Beery

Feel free to try my BBS. It's mostly message boards and Door Games, and not running on TI hardware.

Cosmik Debris BBS

Telnet://cosmikdebris.ddns.net:2323

Pepper

Edited by Pepper

Well, I got my Lantronix UDS-10 setup with the cabling described by Omega in an October, 2014 document. Whoever Omega is, great document.

I did successfully telnet into the Heatwave bbs at 74.193.9.234,9640 without issue at 2400 and 4800 baud configurations. I haven't tried anything faster yet.

I tried to do a test with downloading a file with both Telco and MyTerm on the Geneve at both 2400 and 4800 baud rates. I get 128 packets up to 640 bytes, and then I get errors and then it aborts. Looking at some older messages on the group, there was an indication downloads were an issue. Is this something unique to Heatwave?

Thanks.

Beery

Beery,

My below settings I have used for years and can upload and download from Heatwave and Fusion with my TI are in the below link. Hope this helps.

HERE

Thanks Beery,

It's kind of nice to know that old PDF is still helping people get up and running. :)

It sure got me up and running fairly quickly. One question. I setup my cable as the document detailed:

TI UDS-10

-- ----------

2 3

3 2

5 4

7 7

20 5

I assume those pinouts and nothing changes when using Port at 38.4K, etc?

Just want to make sure.

​Thanks.

​Beery

Nope, no changes in the cable required. You'll have to use TIMXT to get that speed though, because programs like Telco choke on anything over 4800 baud. So if you have an F18A, you'll bask in the glory of true 80 columns with color ANSI graphics.

I just ran Tim's PORT program, Version 0.60 Beta. His documents reference a difference cable connection for flow control, etc. Should I be using that cable configuration with the UDS-10?

Also, was there ever a newer update? Source released? I checked out whtech and saw nothing obvious over there.

Beery

I just ran Tim's PORT program, Version 0.60 Beta. His documents reference a difference cable connection for flow control, etc. Should I be using that cable configuration with the UDS-10?

Also, was there ever a newer update? Source released? I checked out whtech and saw nothing obvious over there.

Beery

for the hardware flow control with port on the Geneve the cable definitely will help. I believe the latest is .96 of Port is .96 but Tim can verify. Also ANSI 80 column works fairly fast if you select Monochrome, otherwise it's very slow with color. The color looks great if you don't mind the speed.

Hardware: Ethernet AutoDetect

IP addr - 0.0.0.0/DHCP/BOOTP/AutoIP, no gateway set

DHCP device name UDS10

Telnet setup is Enabled

TFTP download is enabled

Port 77FEH is enabled

Web Server is enabled

---- Channel 1 ----

Buadrage 2400, I/F mode 4c, Flow 02

Port 10001

Remote IP adr: ---- none---, port 00000

Connect mode: D6 Disconn Mode: 00

Flush Mode: 00

for the hardware flow control with port on the Geneve the cable definitely will help. I believe the latest is .96 of Port is .96 but Tim can verify. Also ANSI 80 column works fairly fast if you select Monochrome, otherwise it's very slow with color. The color looks great if you don't mind the speed.

If there is a 0.96 version of Port, anyone know a file location for it? What I saw on whtech was 0.60.

Beery

I -think- version .9640 is the latest I released. If I have time this weekend, I'll take Heatwave offline to scan through my files. I made some fixes and updates a while back, like fixing the save settings functionality. The challenge for me is the gaps and 'mess' I made, which I attribute to my health situation during that time.

Beery

No, I have not released the source. You can stick with a very simple cable so long as you use interrupt mode and mono (not color) mode. 38.4k is sustainable until you get into a lot of scrolling or the buffer space is consumed. I believe the buffer size was 32K or 64K in the latest version. I learned some tricks working on TIMXT that haven't been applied to PORT which I suppose is expected since I wrote that monster 20+ years ago. Maybe some day.

No, I have not released the source. You can stick with a very simple cable so long as you use interrupt mode and mono (not color) mode. 38.4k is sustainable until you get into a lot of scrolling or the buffer space is consumed. I believe the buffer size was 32K or 64K in the latest version. I learned some tricks working on TIMXT that haven't been applied to PORT which I suppose is expected since I wrote that monster 20+ years ago. Maybe some day.

Tim, note quite clear on one of your comments. Is there a version later than 0.60 Beta?

Beery

Feel free to try my BBS. It's mostly message boards and Door Games, and not running on TI hardware.

Cosmik Debris BBS

Telnet://cosmikdebris.ddns.net:2323

Pepper

Pepper, I have called it now at 38.4K and things ran smoothly. I was also able to download files from it as well at that speed, so all is well.

Beery

Yes. A version later than .60 was released /and/ there is also a later version that may or may not have been released.

Thanks for investigating the updated version Tim. I did call Heatwave this evening at 38.4K and things ran fine, except not able to download. That is with Flow at 02, not the 00 as previously suggested. I will try that new setting shortly as Shift838 suggested. Is Shift838 Chris Schneider?

Later.

​Beery

Thanks for investigating the updated version Tim. I did call Heatwave this evening at 38.4K and things ran fine, except not able to download. That is with Flow at 02, not the 00 as previously suggested. I will try that new setting shortly as Shift838 suggested. Is Shift838 Chris Schneider?

Yes. For reference and so that Shift838 can chime in, here is how the Heatwave UDS is currently configured:

*** Channel 1

Baudrate 38400, I/F Mode 4C, Flow 02

Port 09640

Connect Mode : 40

Auto increment source port disabled

Disconn Mode : C0 Disconn Time: 07:30

Flush Mode : 77

Flow02 is set this way because S&T BBS does have unidirectional flow control enabled, to ensure that slower clients are not overrun. The connect and disconnect modes are configured differently than what you would see with a terminal, mostly to supress the command echo and enable DTR and carrier detection. If you connect to Heatwave with Hyperterminal or similar, can you download successfully ?

Later.

​Beery

Yes, Shift838 is Chris Schneider.

Also since I was running FuSiON BBS off the emulated Geneve via MESS via a serial bridge. My UDS settings are a bit different for the BBS than Heatwave. Once I get home I can get those, but the ones I posted are the UDS settings from my real TI hardware and using TIMXT at 9600 bps. I have tested at 19200 and 38400 with no issues on either Heatwave or Fusion for both uploading and downloading.

i'm also planning on getting my Geneve up and running soon as a permanent fixture in my man cave so I can do some testing. Of course lately I have been not using my UDS but using 'tcpser' instead, it's just a cable running to a PC or a Pi or Unix box and acts like a modem. if you have that capability it may be a good test for you to do. I have a procedure and a document to follow of how to do it via windows PC or Pi.

I need to do some more playing as I think that was the issue. Maybe later tonight.

I've been setting up a BBS and it is close to being able to go. Just need to spend a few hours with the wife as she has already come by to check on me a couple times to see what I was doing.

For some reason, she wants to see me when I take vacation time to be away from work........

Beery

• Like 1

I need to do some more playing as I think that was the issue. Maybe later tonight.

I've been setting up a BBS and it is close to being able to go. Just need to spend a few hours with the wife as she has already come by to check on me a couple times to see what I was doing.

For some reason, she wants to see me when I take vacation time to be away from work........

Beery

Are you setting a BBS up on a Ti or Geneve or something else?