IGNORED

Sega CD and PC-Engine/Turbo CD games you would like to see on the Jaguar CD

SlidellMan

Ok, I think it is time for which TG-16/PCE CD and Sega CD games you would want to see on the Jaguar CD.

TG-16 CD:

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

Image Fight 2

Tengai Makyo/Far East of Eden 1 and 2

Faussete Amour (with improved controls)

Götzendiener (with improved controls)

Valis 3 and 4

Ys 3 and 4

Beyond Shadowgate

Fiend Hunter (with improved controls)

Basted

Batman! not that crappy Batman the Arcade game from the PS1 but the REAL Batman! That would be awesome. Everyone here remembers the REAL Batman game right?

If anyone is confused as to what game I'm talking about, it's right HERE on this list

Just keep scrolling down, you will surely find it. It's the REAL one that everyone remembers and loves most!

Batman! not that crappy Batman the Arcade game from the PS1 but the REAL Batman! That would be awesome. Everyone here remembers the REAL Batman game right?

If anyone is confused as to what game I'm talking about, it's right HERE on this list

Just keep scrolling down, you will surely find it. It's the REAL one that everyone remembers and loves most!

Well..that's very subjective.

I have very fond memories of Batman The Movie..on the ST and Amiga in particular.

The 3D sections at the time were simply stunning.

Special FX'S Batman:The Caped Crusader really captured the feel of the comic books in terms of looks and being a mix of puzzle solving and fighting.

The Sega CD version of Batman Returns showcased the hardware fantastically well in it's stunning 3D sections and this type of game ideally suited to the Jaguar hardware,no doubt..

Even the platform sections were improved over the cartridge version.

But given the amount of Sega CD and PC Engine titles that have had digital re-release over the years..just pick a more modern platform and play them on that.

Edited by Lost Dragon

I wonder if people who create and fuel those topics actually think someone, someday, is going to pop up and say "Hey, I have the skills you need to port games, all I was missing was names of games to port! Thank you so much for the inspiration, I'll get right on it!"

Or do they know it'll never happen, and just like daydreaming? In that case it's something I don't understand: what's the point, when there are actual games to play and projects to support?

For once this is not a rhetorical question, I really do wonder.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 5

I don't think people who ask all these porting questions understand anything about programming. You can't just take a PC-E binary and magically port it to the Jaguar. Even if the source code was available for these games it would be a major project.

Sigh...why did I just contribute to this nonsense?

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong -- Wouldn't it be relatively easy to port a Sega CD game to the Jaguar CD? Wouldn't it just run off the Jaguar's Motorolla 68K processor (like Rayman)?

I would think the PC Engine would be a pain because it's a completely different CPU -- but the Jaguar and Sega CD do share some hardware commonality.

Edited by JagCD

Correct me if I'm wrong -- Wouldn't it be relatively easy to port a Sega CD game to the Jaguar CD? Wouldn't it just run off the Jaguar's Motorolla 68K processor (like Rayman)?

Oh, super easy! The 68k is the only thing that matters. There are zero other differences in the systems. Sound hardware? Who cares! There's a 68k!

Oh, super easy! The 68k is the only thing that matters. There are zero other differences in the systems. Sound hardware? Who cares! There's a 68k!

Well, the majority of Sega CD's audio was playing straight music tracks off the CD. I seriously doubt creating some new sound

effects for the Jaguar's DSP would be a deal breaker.

Let's face it, Probably 70% of the Sega CD library were just Genesis games with CD audio. But, as always -- you love to be

a drama queen.

Edited by JagCD

Yep, and porting Genesis games to the Jaguar is super easy too! Why did nobody else think to port these games because it's so easy?

Well, technically it's already been done. Supposedly, the Jaguar version of Double Dragon 5 is running on the Sega Genesis game engine.

That game is not exactly a glowing endorsement of the process -- but for you to pretend like it is an impossible feat is sorta pathetic.

The bigger problem is likely intellectual property rights not hardware.

My vote would be porting over one of the Streets of Rage games -- as the Jaguar never got a good 2 player brawler to my knowledge.

Edited by JagCD

You are correct, sir. My viewpoint is pathetic. Just look at all the Genesis binaries that are converted to the Jaguar. Not to mention all the Sega CD games. It is clearly "relatively easy" as you said. I feel like such a fool and I truly appreciate you pointing out the errors in my thinking. After all, supposedly a Jag game uses a Genesis engine. Simple as that.

• Like 2

You are correct, sir. My viewpoint is pathetic. Just look at all the Genesis binaries that are converted to the Jaguar. Not to mention all the Sega CD games. It is clearly "relatively easy" as you said. I feel like such a fool and I truly appreciate you pointing out the errors in my thinking. After all, supposedly a Jag game uses a Genesis engine. Simple as that.

You are just sulking now.

From what I've read about Double Dragon 5 -- it was an incredibly lazy port from the Mega Drive/Genesis to the Jaguar. The sprites are smaller on the Jaguar (compared to the Genesis/Mega Drive) because they shrank when the resolution was increased for the Jaguar version (and the developers were too lazy to redraw them). Williams is rumored to have only spent 14 weeks developing the Jaguar version -- recycling nearly everything except the music and background graphics from the Mega Drive edition. It was a very poor game released as a cash grab (and I think most would people consider it to be the absolute worst game on the Jaguar).

But it definitely proves that a Genesis port is fairly practical if the original source code from the Genesis version is available. That's not saying much -- the biggest gripe many had against the Jag is that "it had too many 16-bit ported games."

Edited by JagCD