IGNORED

My Christmas Present to Myself

snicklin

What a beautiful book. Who else has this book and what are your thoughts?

I hadn't heard ot it before (was I under a rock?) but then saw that someone had reserved one in my local games shop. It was the last one in the shop so I had to dash off to another shop in their chain to get it.

post-24134-0-66294700-1514071040_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Yeah it was my X-mas present a year ago....the deluxe edition at full price....whatever.....I had been wanting a book like that for ages and I love it. I've always loved Atari's artwork. And this book delivers.

The only minor issues I have with it it that it focuses too much on the 2600.

There is a lot of A8 art to still be "discovered."........but the arcade material is simply a let-down. The arcade division was the thing that started it alll.....much more arcade artwork should have been in there but......,....there should be enough arcade material for at least two books.....

Thanks so much for the kind words. Glad you are digging it.

And to those who wish there were more arcade art in it, some of that was a function of practicality and space. The current incarnation of Atari has no archives so everything--and I mean every single piece of art--was personally sourced by me. Some of it came down to what was practical to find. It's a lot harder to find beautiful arcade art examples and then photograph them. And I also wanted a book that would appeal to a wide audience. The 2600 is such a touchstone for many, many people and the source of most of the best art.

• Like 5

Always wanted that book, its been brought up in here before over the years and the quantity of 2500 stuff did put me off but the actual artwork was / is just stunning so it nice to have you pop in Tim, the inspiration and style is amazing..

One day I'll get the book if its still about when I have more free funds..

I've not looked but have you other similar art collections / creations Tim?

Paul...

Thanks. Why yes, I just edited and art directed the next book in the series we're doing. It's called Undisputed Street Fighter: https://www.amazon.com/Undisputed-Street-Fighter-Anniversary-Retrospective/dp/1524104663

Working on negotiations for some other books too. Some video game related, some not.

Always wanted that book, its been brought up in here before over the years and the quantity of 2500 stuff did put me off but the actual artwork was / is just stunning so it nice to have you pop in Tim, the inspiration and style is amazing..

One day I'll get the book if its still about when I have more free funds..

I've not looked but have you other similar art collections / creations Tim?

Paul...

• Like 2

This is wonderful to find the original author on here!

I haven't read through it all yet but have skimmed through a fair bit.

I kind of get why it needed to be 2600 dominated, as whenever I (and probably anyone else on here) says that they like Atari to other people, they always say back, "Oh yes, I had an Atari" and you know full well that they're on about the 2600.

I was glad though that I did read some 8-bit Atari computer references in there, which is great as it doesn't pretend that they don't exist.

WIth regards to, "Working on negotiations for some other books too. Some video game related, some not.", are any of those Atari based (you're on AtariAge, you're going to get biased questions!)?

I love the game related art books, me and my daughter own the Zelda one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1616550414/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=1616550414&pd_rd_wg=x9gEC&pd_rd_r=PTR83HF8SMGD9C4YE1GC&pd_rd_w=X0S3O

They are simply stunning.....Would LOVE (Listen to us all Tim) an Atari 8 bit home computer book with your amazing visual way of seeing it, the 2600 has had its share, lets have one for the computer based geeks and nerds...

I really like the 8bit computers too. We've talked a lot about the potential for Atari sequels, but I don't think there's a large enough market for that focused of a follow up, at least for a big publisher. It could be great for some Kickstarter efforts or something along those lines.

But I'm continuing on with other projects. Here's our latest: https://www.amazon.com/Undisputed-Street-Fighter-Anniversary-Retrospective/dp/1524104663/

I'm also working on something else video game related, but it's still in the negotiations stage.

Thanks again, all!

I love the game related art books, me and my daughter own the Zelda one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1616550414/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=1616550414&pd_rd_wg=x9gEC&pd_rd_r=PTR83HF8SMGD9C4YE1GC&pd_rd_w=X0S3O

They are simply stunning.....Would LOVE (Listen to us all Tim) an Atari 8 bit home computer book with your amazing visual way of seeing it, the 2600 has had its share, lets have one for the computer based geeks and nerds...

• Like 2

Thanks!

Right now, one definitely has some Atari ties, but it's not strictly Atari-focused. Sorry that's a tease, but it's all I can say for now... :)

This is wonderful to find the original author on here!

WIth regards to, "Working on negotiations for some other books too. Some video game related, some not.", are any of those Atari based (you're on AtariAge, you're going to get biased questions!)?

I'm planning on getting this book soon, but in the mean time, I have been sourcing Atari art, including 8-bit and now moving into third party 8-bit art, and converting it to display on the Atari 8-bit with Rastaconverter. I'm hoping at least some of it is found to be adequate to install in front of .xex's of the games by others who do that stuff. I always wanted Atari cover art as screen-art on my Atari, but until Rastaconverter came along, there wasn't any graphics software up to snuff to use the Atari with so many colors at a decent resolution.

One thing I have noticed in searching for good art examples, is that many Atari games have multiple versions of art-work, whether from box covers for the different systems and re-prints, or art for the games from manuals too. I've seen several different artworks for Asteroids, Centipede, Space Invaders and Missile command especially.